JWs at Hearst Castle

by concerned mama 26 Replies latest jw friends

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

My family and I just got home from our summer road trip. We drove 6815 km from our home in Alberta down the western coast of the US to Disneyland, then back home through Utah (Mormon country), Idaho and Montana. Great trip!!!! (except for the exchange rate)

I had a major surprise as we entered Heast Castle in California for our tour. My husband has gone in earlier and asked why there would be a bible table there, was Randolf Hearst religious??????????? He wasn't, by the way. There was a table right next to the photo pickup booth with a conservatively dressed couple sitting behind it, and the usual JW propaganda on the table in front of them. I noticed that they didn't approach anyone, but waited for people to come to them. They were there for several hours at least. I didn't go near them, as my kids would have died of embarrassment.

Why would the California parks Service allow a religious group to promote itself like that in a State Park at such a tourist attraction? I thought that it was quite inappropriate.

Edited by - concerned mama on 25 August 2002 16:46:37

• patio34
    patio34

Wow Concerned Mama, I agree. The state has no business allowing it. Although, here at the local community college, the JWs used to have a table set up at certain times with the "literature." (I hate to use WTS's terms--they've ruined so many words for me.) I did read in a book on cults that all cults prefer to recruit at colleges because of the youth present and they're easier to dupe. What a racket!

Pat

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

Thank you for that info.I happen to live about two hours from Hearst Castle and believe me, they will get an earful from me!!

• Simon
    Simon

Years ago I went to the USA and there were witnesses sat on deckchairs in the sun next to a table with literature on it.

They didn't witness to anyone but I bet they were counting their time !

We had to plod the streets of Salford and some very grotty areas with the rain bouncing off the cobbled streets. Thinking about it, their way was better.

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

Yeah, they used to go to the universities around where I lived. I also saw they had a booth at Cleveland Hopkins airport...that was weird.

• larc
    larc

Wolfgirl, nice to see another Buckeye here. I was born in Akron. I now live in Dayton.

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

Thank you for that info.I happen to live about two hours from Hearst Castle and believe me, they will get an earful from me!!

Go for it, Ruby!!!!

Patio and Wolfgirl,

Isn't it pretty unbelieveable what hypocrites they are that while JWs discourage college education, they go to college campuses to recruit?

• Crystal
    Crystal

I have a feeling they won't be there too much longer.

Edited by - Crystal on 25 August 2002 17:15:26

• patio34
    patio34

Wow AjaxMan,

I hadn't seen the irony of that!

Isn't it pretty unbelieveable what hypocrites they are that while JWs discourage college education, they go to college campuses to recruit?

So true, so true!

Pat

Edited to add: A JW friend of mine commented once that Bethel didn't want anyone to go to college, but you couldn't be accepted unless you went to college (that's when a RN was accepted to Bethel). Another thing is that the average dub is sure impressed when one of their members has a college degree they obtained before being recruited into the WTBS.

Edited by - Patio34 on 25 August 2002 17:11:40

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

I saw them there too! They had their literature spread out on a little card table at the visitors center. I bet all the pioneers fight over that assignment. All you have to do is sit there and let the time roll in! I've also seen them at an outlet mall doing the same thing. Easy money... uuh I mean easy service time! I think Ruby should set up her table right next to them with big bold pamplets on help for JW pedophile victims and cult issues. Wouldn't that be something!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit