How are the JW's reacting to the new USA gay marriage laws?

by purrpurr 59 Replies latest jw friends

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2
    Marriage between same sex couples is much more complicated than just having q legal papers. It gives the same rights as married couples. They now have medical rights that was denied them before, they have the right to leave their half of property to their marriage mate. There are too many things to list. I assured my son many times that his partner now spouse would the right to make medical decisions nd be in hospital room with my child if necessary, but this is not true of many other parents.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

I think the most ironic thing of all when it comes to the SCOTUS ruling on gay marriage is that it is the USA can thank the Jehovah's Witnesses for the basis of the ruling.

One of the court cases that is cited in the opinion of the court, is the West Virginia Bd. of Ed. v. Barnette in 1943 where the JWs successfully challenged First Amendment rights.

http://warwickpost.com/supreme-court-rules-same-sex-marriage-legal-nation-wide/7396/

In response to the plea that the issue be allowed to play out in legislation and democratic debate:

“The dynamic of our constitutional system is that individuals need not await legislative action before asserting a fundamental right. The Nation’s courts are open to injured individuals who come to them to vindicate their own direct, personal stake in our basic charter. An individual can invoke a right to constitutional protection when he or she is harmed, even if the broader public disagrees and even if the legislature refuses to act.
    The idea of the Constitution “was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts.” West Virginia Bd. of Ed. v. Barnette, 319 U. S. 624, 638 (1943). This is why “fundamental rights may not be submitted to a vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections.”

Apparently, judging from the JWs reaction to the Scotus ruling on gay marriage, the JWs believe that the courts should only rule in their favor, and nobody else's. First amendment rights , according to the JWs, is exclusively their territory and should not extend to the rest of the country.

The Jehovah's Witnesses are hypocrisy in action.

• millie210
    millie210

In addition to being hypocrisy in action (as they are in so many areas) they wont read the decision. They wont know what you are stating above.

They call themselves politically neutral, "like Jesus and the early Christians" they say.

The facts show otherwise. JWs are one of the most litigious groups of non voting citizens of our time. Especially shocking when you look at what a "young" organization they are. They came out of the gate aggressively pursuing their "rights" as they see it.

• rebel8
    rebel8

The Puritans sought freedom of religion for themselves and not for others too.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/historyofus/web03/segment2.html

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Island Man - "...Arma-gay-don is coming any day now..."

"Arma-gay-don"... that's priceless; I wish I'd thought of it! :laughing:

• sir82
    sir82

Heard a JW say "it's like Sodom and Gomorrah on steroids".

The pure utter hatred fairly dripped from her mouth.

It was ugly and disgusting.

• purrpurr
    purrpurr
    I've just heard one jw say that next peados will be legalised she supposed!
  • sir82
    sir82

Forgot to add:

There were also comments about how "40 years ago, people got beat up for that sort of thing".

The speakers looked kind of wistful, like they were thinking of that as the "good old days", or maybe even would have liked to join in themselves.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

sir82 - "The speakers looked kind of wistful, like they were thinking of that as the "good old days", or maybe even would have liked to join in themselves."

Never underestimate the thought of a good old-fashioned lynching to inspire nostalgia and foster community solidarity.

• blondie
    blondie

When I worked out near Wallkill, I overhead 3 Bethel elders saying that homosexuality (they specified only men not women) was a worse sin than adultery. I could not resist and asked "why" since the punishment was the same, death under the law. One said that adultery was natural....I said if so, why were people put to death for doing what was natural? Then they said that homosexuality was a gross sin, adultery was not (ex-elders might clarify that opinion for me). So I said, "then since death is the punishment for both, does God resurrect the gay men and kill them twice?" That stopped them and made the youngest one think.

I have never met more homophobic people then male jws. Are they worried that it is contagious?

I live in a medium size city with a disproportionately large gay population. As some jws would not work in a black neighborhood, others would never go door to door in a gay neighborhood. There was no mercy for them, they were dead in their eyes already.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit