Disadvantages since leaving the truth?

by haujobbz 15 Replies latest jw friends

• kheli
    kheli

...instant loss of friends.

...not knowing what my true interests are since the "truth" soaked up all of my time and energy.

• Nowfree
    Nowfree

Suddenly I had a lot of spare time to fill.

My weekly JW schedule was sort of like this:

Monday: full time work and then prestudy for the bookstudy in the evening.

Tuesday; full time work then meeting

Wednesday: full time work, and doing housework in the evening or preparing for a talk on the ministry school.

Thursday; full time work, and going to the meeting in the evening

Friday: full time work, and early night ready for ministry the following morning.

Saturday: ministry in the morning, felt knackered in the afternoon.

Sunday; meeting in the morning, ministry in the afternoon.

And then back to Monday!

After nearly two years of readjusting, I am going to try and do some social things after work, like going to the gym (or something!!). I also have more time to cook a decent meal in the evening, rather than a take-away at 10pm after the meeting!

Life is definitely more enjoyable, and with more purpose than ever before!

Nowfree

• patio34
    patio34

My major and, I think, only disadvantage or negative since leaving 1 1/2 years ago is what Lv4fer said:

Forgiving myself for being duped. How could I have been so stupid! My kids missed out on so much.

But that's a biggie. Ah well, there were worse things that could have happened. The thing is that I thought it was the right thing to do--didn't we all? But I guess that's a positive also. I'm full of ambiguity today!

Actually, at least we can say we tried to do the right thing, despite it being the wrong thing. It's not as if we were criminals and had to live with that, eh?

Pat

Edited by - Patio34 on 25 August 2002 16:46:26

• Southland
    Southland

I certainly don't miss going to the meetings, assemblies, and everything else. I have held on to most of my values, i.e. telling the truth, not swearing too much, etc. The thing I miss the most, though, is that it's a little harder to make "instant" friends. You have to find people who have common interests. There no longer is the "instant comradery" you find at the hall and assemblies, etc.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

I'm totally with OUTNFREE

• onacruse
    onacruse

I wouldn't call this a disadvantage, but the way I feel now is summed up in my handle: ON-A-CRUSE. I have pulled my boat up out if the little backwater of WTS, and put it back down in the ocean of the wide wide world. I have no clear idea of where I'm going, or what I want to be in 2, 5, 10 years. But I've started the motor and begun the cruise.

Perhaps, in that respect, there is a disadvantage....in WTS, I always "knew" where I was going, what I was supposed to do, what I was going to be.

I'd much rather have the adventure of my new-found uncertainty.

Craig

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit