Captain Cordelli's Mandolin

by Beck_Melbourne 11 Replies latest social entertainment

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

My review:

I would give this film 8 out of 10...I would have given it 9 if Nicolas Cage had done a better job on his italian accent...and Penelope Cruz isn't one of my favs...but she portrayed her character well I thought...I didn't like the love scene...hair under a woman's armpits makes me shudder...each to their own I guess.

It wasn't what I expected...so I enjoyed the element of surprise. Maybe I should read the back cover before hiring movies...but this time I just went with the main hunk character Nicolas Cage. If you haven't seen it yet, its worth it if you're in the mood for a good drama with a bit of war and peace, love and romance etc.

Beck

ps...has anyone seen Mulholland Drive??? Weird or what?? 3 out of 10 from me! Too cryptic!

• Englishman
    Englishman

Hi Beck,

I enjoyed it too, but please read the book (Louis de Bernieres) to get the correct and far superior ending!

Englishman.

• The_Bad_Seed
    The_Bad_Seed

Funny - I thought Mulholland Drive was fantastic, while Capt, Corellis mandolin sucked. Nick Coppola couldn't feign an Italian accent to save his life.

• dubla
    dubla

havent seen captain corellis mandolin yet, but mulholland drive was a masterpiece......riveting, disturbing, entertaining, funny, mysterious, and a brain f**k to boot.

aa

• Mackin
    Mackin

David Lynch's 10 Clues to Unlocking Mulholland Drive:

• Pay particular attention in the beginning of the film: at least two clues are revealed before the credits.
  • Notice appearances of the red lampshade.
  • Can you hear the title of the film that Adam Kesher is auditioning actresses for? Is it mentioned again?
  • An accident is a terrible event... notice the location of the accident.
  • Who gives a key, and why?
  • Notice the robe, the ashtray, the coffee cup.
  • What is felt, realized and gathered at the club Silencio?
  • Did talent alone help Camilla?
  • Notice the occurrences surrounding the man behind Winkies.
  • Where is Aunt Ruth?
  • LuckyLucy
    LuckyLucy

I hated that movie!!

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

I have got the book thanks EMan, I will be finished it by this time next year as I read like a snail when I've already seen the movie. I try to do things the other way around...book first, then movie later, then I can really rip into the movie and toast the cast selection.

The best movie and book comparison I have seen so far is Bridges of Madison County...there was nothing in the book and the movie that was out of place...I thought each cast member suited their character like no other.

Mackin, great, now I have to get it out again LOL.

Dubla, I missed the end, I decided to watch the inside of my eyelids instead...I'm so slack when you have to work at it to be entertained LOL. Very selfish viewer here.

Bad Seed, Nick Coppola - nice sound to it, haven't heard that before. I do like his deep throatie american accent *tingles* - Gone in 60 Seconds he was shite, but in Face Off he was so hot I could bite his bum.

LuckyLucy - not enough killing?

Thanks folks.

Beck

• Liberated
    Liberated

Saw Captain Corelli's Mandolin in the theater, bought the dvd.

Penelope had to grow the pits for more authenticity. I hardly noticed.

Loved everything about it, cried, sang, cheered, cringed...

Everyone was great, especially her father. Cage's accent may have been off but his singing and acting was terrific and I'm a fan of Christian Bale too...tush and all...!!!!!

Libby

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Beck,

I also rented the video. I usually like Nick, as he reminds me of my own son, in looks and manner. Others have told me the same thing.

I really don't believe that the acting was that good. His accent was really quite bad, almost laughable sometimes, but the theme of the movie was good enough.

Penelope is highly overrated in my opinion. I think she hooked onto Cruise and it put her in high gear for awhile.

We watched "In The Bedroom" last night. A very different kind of move. Very well written and exceptional real-to-life "acting". Sissy Specek really outdid herself. The way it ended, well I won't give the story away....

I'm a great movie buff. I liked Artificial Intelligence and Pay It Forward, and so many others I can't even recall. It's getting difficult to find good ones lately though...as I've rented so many, that I have to wait...

Karen

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Liberated/Libby: yes I agree about the pits LOL...just not something you see all that often in a love scene...we are so manufactured now I have grown to expect it. I also agree about the singing...it was great.

Sentinel/Karen: Ohmygawd you have a son who resembles Nicolas-too-hot-to-touch-Cage? Its his eyes that make me drool...oh and his lips...and his hair...oh and his..well nevermind LOL. I agree, Penelope isn't all that...the only time I really took notice of her was when the Cruise thing started. I haven't seen Bedroom yet, but it is definitely on my list, and I enjoyed Pay It Forward, Helen Hunt is a fav of mine at any time, have you seen the one with her and the grouchie old guy with that compulsive behaviour disorder, I have forgotten the name of it, and the actor's name, what's wrong with me today?? *slaps self*

Thanks guys...keep us posted with your own reviews.

Beck

ps...Karen, I'm glad to see you are back to your bright self again today, don't let yesterday get to you...keep smiling chookie.

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit