Guess I said more than I should have about "the truth"

by paradisebeauty 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• paradisebeauty
    paradisebeauty

A sister came by my house today. Not to see how I was or why I have not been to meetings for the past months - she needed to borrow some money for the upcoming convention.

We chatted a little, and I cound not keep my mouth shut about some questions I have and some discoveries I made about the doctrine. I thought she was more open minded ....

She told me "we" need to talk to a brother in charge ... I told her I do not feel I need to talk to anyone in charge, that I need to do some more research by myself and I do not think they can tell me more than the wt library can...

But I have the feeling she will talk to one of them...

And I am thinking ... this kind of behavior reminds me of the comunist era in my country when you had to be careful of what you say, to whom, and you were always afraid someone might tell of you if you dared to say something not in compliance with the party's policy ...

Why do they view having your own opinions / different opinions on the same level as imorality, idolatry or other big sins. They somehow feel obliged to tell on someone who has different opinions like that person committed a sin or something....

• Magnum
    Magnum

this kind of behavior reminds me of the comunist era in my country when you had to be careful of what you say, to whom, and you were always afraid someone might tell of you if you dared to say something not in compliance with the party's policy ...

It's been reminding me of communist / N Korea mentality for a long time. No questioning allowed. A lot of propaganda. Others will report you to the "authorities".

• brandnew
    brandnew
    Wow, she totally bit the hand that was feeding her.......im pissed just reading this....grrrrrrr read my lips.....
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    As George Orwell described it in his book 1984, thoughtcrime.
  • LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Paradise:

Don't worry about having said "too much". I am sure you didn't say enough! If you are worried, just screen all your calls and don't answer your door.

Yes, the tactics of the religion ARE like those of a dictatorship where people rat on their neighbors.

If this doesn't say something is wrong with the picture, I don't know what will.

Good luck.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    A second witness to your "apostasy" is needed for action to be taken against you. Don't speak to any other jw about your thoughts, because the Watch Tower uses elders as thought police.
  • Bonsai
    Bonsai

When I stopped going to meetings it shocked one of my friends to his core. I tried to be quiet about why I stopped as I wanted to play by the rules and not influence anyone's beliefs. Well, this dude just had to know why I stopped going. He was very persistent about wanting to know and he promised not to tell anyone. Not wanting to be a jerk, I told him a few simple reasons in confidence.. The dude turns around, tells the elders in his congregation, then the elders call the elders in my congregation to check up on me. Thankfully, they only came to warn me and no judicial action took place. But i feel very betrayed!

You can't trust any of them! They will rat you out without a second thought just to get a pat on the back (or a stroke) from the elders. Sick.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Pb, I'm sorry for the anxiety you must feel about this. But you have no family in the religion, at least. And if anyone is your real friend, they will still be your friend after. If indeed this amounts to anything. Since you haven't been to meetings maybe they will leave you alone. It depends on the personalities of the elders, and how much this woman makes an issue of what you said.

<3

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

But I have the feeling she will talk to one of them...

So if the elduhs come asking questions, you can say, "hmmm, Sister Whackadoodle came by trying to borrow money and when I said I wasn't comfortable lending, she got furious and made a bunch of threats about how she could make a lot of trouble for me. I guess she figured out how to use you to do her dirty work. Did you happen to loan her the money she wants?"

• cultBgone
    cultBgone
    Billy, good one!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit