Hi Prisca. I am Norm, and I am new here

by Norm 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Norm
    Norm

Hi, Prisca,

I am Norm, and I am new here.

You said:

This post is primarily for those folk on this board, who post
    copious quantities of JW info on this board.
    Please don't!

There are a few things I find puzzling with your post, so I hope you can clear them up for me so that I can understand the protocol on this board. Why shouldn’t such material be posted on this board? Is this prohibited? Are there posting limits? Are you speaking for yourself, giving your opinion, or are you speaking on behalf of the jw.com community?

I can understand your wanting to help present JWs and those looking for info on the Organisation, but this is not the place for posting reams and reams of info. Most of us here know already this stuff. There are web-sites dedicated to providing this information.

I have a few questions for you regarding this. Who has decided that this board isn’t the place for this? Is there a general consensus on the board about this, or have you decided this all by yourself? If the information in a post is familiar to you, have you considered the option of ignoring it, simply not reading it? How do you know that no one else is interested in the material?

This site is a discussion board - a place to chat, discuss (not argue!) and support each other.

In my dictionary, discuss is defined as “to talk or write about; consider and argue the pros and cons of.” To argue is to try to prove by giving reasons; it does not have to be synonymous with bad feelings and quarrelling. I also believe that information is very important for support and healing. I know it has been so for me. If this is not true for you, just skip such posts.

In the past it has been likened to a coffee shop - but in recent weeks it has looked more like a mine field. There is no need for animosity. You might win the battle but it will make it harder for you to win the war (if you think there is one) by providing proof that those that leave the "Truth" are bitter, argumentive and unhappy with their lot. Is that what you want?

Perhaps you need to cut back on the caffeine awhile, Prisca—you seem rather tense. May I offer you a soothing honey bun? It is quite clear that you don’t like the turn the board has taken and voice your grievances. This is, of course, very good and proper, but don’t you think someone could misunderstand this as arguing? Is animosity a question of style or of content? Can you give examples of posts of which you disapprove? And again, are you speaking for everyone, or is this a question that should be taken up with others on the board? I ask because I sincerely want to know.

Those that are looking for info on the history and doctrines of the JW religion will find abundant sites dedicated on the subject. I applaud the ones that go to the trouble and expense to do so. But this is not what this site is primarily for. Sure, we can post news, updates and info not generally available, but primarily this is a discussion board. Ok? And please don't turn it into another H2O. If you want the nastiness of H2O, go back there and leave us alone. This place is for friends who want to be friendly.

I am glad that you so thoroughly approve of research, I have done a lot during my 12 years out of the Watchtower. But I am sorry that you don’t want it posted here.
    You seem to have already decided that this site isn’t “primarily” for such. What percentage of such postings is okay, if any? Are such postings only acceptable in answer to specific questions?

I have been on H2O for many years. If people from that site are unwanted here, why not say that straight out? Or is it a rule that if people from H2O come here, we must conform to your rules about what we can post? I think you will find that I am a very friendly person, Prisca. Do you really find your own post very friendly? Frankly, I do not.

Norm.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Hey Norm..

Just wanted to welcome you here. I must thank you for your posts at h20 for the longest time as I found them most helpful (and humorous ).

I can't say I agree with Prisca's comments, but perhaps they simply reflect her and other's adjusting to the changing environment of a place that they've come to find very intimite and comfortable. Prisca is a nice person, as I've spoken to her in the past myself and I'm sure her thoughts will change in time.

It would be unreasonable to expect good things to never change and to not be shared. I am hopeful this place, while it certainly has a different feel than it once did when there were only a handful of people, will continue to have the same civility and tolerance and respect for the opinions and viewpoints and personalities of others.

I hope the new ones arriving and those who have been here for quite a while can both display a measure of tolerance and respect until we all get comfortable with one another.

Path

• Prisca
    Prisca

Hi Norm, I’m Prisca and I’ve been here a while...

Are you speaking for yourself, giving your opinion, or are you speaking on behalf of the jw.com community? ...Who has decided that this board isn’t the place for this? Is there a general consensus on the board about this, or have you decided this all by yourself?

Yes, I am speaking for myself and others. If you read further down the thread, you would have read comments from ZazuWitts, ISP, Xandit and Sassenach who were in total agreement with me.

There are also others I have spoken to who have been turned away from this site because of the overbearing nature of some of the new posters here. You won’t be reading their comments because they don't come here like they used to.

If the information in a post is familiar to you, have you considered the option of ignoring it, simply not reading it? How do you know that no one else is interested in the material?

Yes, I do overlook them, and skip onto the threads that do interest me. I am NOT saying no one else is interested in the material either.

The point is : some information that has been posted, based on the poster's own thoughts and observations is interesting and worthwhile reading (including your posts, Norm!).

The posts I was referring to were posting information that is simply a re-hashing of information easily available on WT Observer, Freeminds, Crisis of Conscience, etc.

Then the posters post it in such a way that it doesn't encourage further discussion - it seems that they have covered anything and everything anyway.

There is so much information, that I feel exhausted just trying to read it - so I don't read it, since I barely have the time to read all the other posts here.

Perhaps you need to cut back on the caffeine awhile, Prisca—you seem rather tense.

LOL – I don’t drink coffee.

don’t you think someone could misunderstand this as arguing? Is animosity a question of style or of content?

I am merely expressing an opinion. I don’t intend to start a fight with anyone. That’s certainly not my style. Maybe some males don’t like females expressing their own thoughts and opinions in a definite manner? ie. If a male does so, he’s considered assertive; when a female does the same, she’s considered a bitch? In my books, I don’t really care who’s male or female – we are all considered equals here.

Can you give examples of posts of which you disapprove?

I think I described them so that the offending posters know who they are.

I am talking about excessive amounts of information being posted in the one thread. Reams of pages’ worth. Why? Is it NEW LIGHT?? I have suspicions that some – NOT ALL of these posters do it to stroke their own ego. And Norm, that is just my opinion, I haven’t done a poll with the rest of the posters.

And if you re-read my posts, nowhere do I say that I don’t want H2O people posting here. Some of them have moved over gracefully, and I love having them here. It’s the animosity that I do not like, and neither do the others, I'm sure.

Or is it a rule that if people from H2O come here, we must conform to your rules about what we can post?

There are no rules, except as what Simon said – be civil and no spamming.

However, bursting into the scene with a “look at me, look at me!!” type mentality and taking over the scene without regard for others is not the way to win friends and influence people.

Every party has its own atmosphere – I feel that some should stop and observe the scene a little before trying to take over.

Edited by - Prisca on 20 March 2001 4:30:40

• Prisca
    Prisca

P.S. Thanks Path for your supportive comments. It's nice to see you here again.

• ICHING
    ICHING

Edited by - iching on 20 March 2001 5:48:40

• ICHING
    ICHING

i could write reams on this but shall refrain - personally i find the long posts stimulating on a number of levels.

a long post is usually necessitated by a long complex detailed idea or thought.

there are certainly some articulate intelligent literary extemely well researched authors/writers contributing to the site at the moment.

my feeling is that without them this is a lesser place.

so my vote is for freedom to post whatever one chooses.

Edited by - iching on 20 March 2001 5:47:27

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Hi Norm,
    I am a little confused. This is probably not the place to post this, but I hope you will see it!
    On another thread you were mentioning why you still believed the WT Org. was the truth.
    On this thread you mention you have been out for twelve years.
    I am interested in knowing what your position really is?
    TW

• Latte
    Latte

welcome Norm ! Glad to have you here :)

Prisca,

I have to agree with most of what you say. I too get the impression that threads are not being read, and therefore do not 'develop' as they used to. I enjoyed seeing a thread come to it's full potential. There have been some excellent posts which did'nt develop due to the copious amounts of threads started.

I have ONE suggestion to help ease this situation.

WHY NOT USE ALL THE FORUMS ???

All the recent newbies could of said Hello in Make New Friends.

There are a lot of threads that would of fit in nicely in Bible Research.

I think that using the correct forum would help immensely.

A warm welcome to everyone from H20. Hi guy's and Gal's!

I hope that no one is offended by my suggestion……..that's all it is a suggestion

Latte

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

My apologies Norm, just went to the other thread and I think there must be two Norms. No wonder I was confused.
    TW

• Gianluca
    Gianluca

Hi Norm,

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and everyone has the right to say what he /she thinks, in a respectful manner. Personally I don't see why someone who's done some interesting research on the WTS should not post it on this board. Prisca herself said "Most of us here know already this stuff" Now I will point out that the words "most of us" means that she acknowleges the fact that not ALL visitors of this board are up to date with all the nonsence the WTS has forked out since the good old days of C.T.Russell . I too have done my personal and have reached a conclusion based on it. But I still appreciate when others post theirs as there is always a "pearl" to be found.
    Personally I like reading posts which point out to old WTS material. As I only have the WT CD-ROM, which goes back to 1950, and as I used to be part of an Italian congregation, in all my years as an active Jw I NEVER had the chance to read a WT publication prior to that date. It's only thanks to the Internet and boards like these that I was able to catch a glimpse of the WTS old days.....
    So Norm, keep sending your great posts, I always find them interesting.(i've been reading them since the old days of H20)

Prisca, I agree with you that posts should be in written in a respectful manner as most visitors are not here to fight but to chat, exchange ideas and learn things from other peoples research. Please remember that not everyone has the possibility to dedicate a lot of time in researching the WTS doctrines due to their personal or family situation. So please don't get upset if there are people, like myself, who appreciate when others post their research here.
    I suggest that if you think that someone has the habit of posting reams and reams of info on the WTS which you already know of, just avoid clicking on his/her posts and go on to read other peoples post which you know you will enjoy.
    But please remember that not everyone necessarily thinks like you, there are many here who enjoy reading lots of WTS relates quotes and comments as many are still fighting a personal battle to free their minds of the WT grip.

As Pathofthorns rightly said, lets all will continue to have the same civility and tolerance and respect for the opinions and viewpoints and personalities of others.

Ciao
    Gianluca

The three essential human freedoms:
    The first is freedom of speech and expression.
    The second is freedom of conscience.
    The third is freedom from fear.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit