WHY Society banned smoking

by Jigrigger 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Jigrigger
    Jigrigger

In a recent post by Rado, he mentions a report on religious violence in Georgia

".....They filled the baptismal pool with diesel fuel."

So I figured this probably happened once before, a long time ago, and was the reason for the ban on smoking

Jrig

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

Jigrigger,

And so you think that violence is something to joke about. If you ever become the object of violence yourself I hope that you remember how lightly you've treated it here today. You JERK!

Friday

Edited by - Yadirf on 19 August 2002 19:14:54

• Celia
    Celia

Yadirf's back ! Where have you been ?

You know why they banned smoking ? The Watch Tower Society wanted to help its followers save money --- money that could be better spent if they would put it in the collection boxes....

Edited by - Celia on 20 August 2002 9:48:48

• minimus
    minimus

PHARMAKIA.....SPIRITISM....Everytime you smoke, you approach the DEMONS!!!!!!!!

• gumby
    gumby

Smoking was banned in 1972 when Floyd Kite puked on stage after smelling the brother next to him who just had a smoke and told Fred Franz he was getting out of the circuit unless he did something Now!

Not really

This was light that Jehovah wanted revealed in 1972. It was a violation of the body being a temple...clean and holy. Jehovah reveals things slowly remember. Now all the real smokers had to hide better!

• mevirginia
    mevirginia

As I recall it was directly associated with the release of the surgeon Generals report. And it was about that time also that it became a regulation that tobacco companies put the "warning" on all packs of cigarettes.

Calling it a sin to smoke is probably justifiable. Allowing it to be a disfelloshipping offense is not justifiable. IMO

There exists a ban on smoking in the state of Ca.

In many places it is against the law to even smoke in public. You would not be arrested. It is not a felony.

You will be sited and fined if the law in a particular area choses to enforce it.

People who smoke are shunned each and every day by others from all walks of life and all religions. Even verbally attacked. And worse.

It is fairly common.

SO.

btw

Hello Yadirf.

• Klaus Vollmer
    Klaus Vollmer

they banned smoking as to many guys lost their shit into the trousers.

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

Actually the ban happened before the Warning Labels, not that cigarettes are good for you, I'm a smoker know they're bad, but we should have the freedom to choose what we do, and not have some group trying to cram it down our throats. I actually know a JW from poland that still smokes, he hides it, was over at my parents house, and they know he smokes, they probibly won't say anything about it, not in my parents nature to go tattling on someone like that. And he wasn't shunning my sister or her husband either, both DFed, had some long discussions with him, he's still programmed to think like a JW though it's sad.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

gumby's you hit the nail right on!!

ofc

• Lieu
    Lieu

Smoking is banned in Ca? I thought it was legal to smoke pot there?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit