My grand daughter's poem, "A Penguin's Dre...

by larc 14 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

My 10 year old grand daughter and her friend co-wrote a poem that is in print, "A Penguin's Dream." - Within the Artic Circle. A penguin had a dream. This dream, it seemed would be to run. As fast as he could go. He longed to run as rapid as a deer. But his legs were way too short, I fear. Near his home, his friends were laughing At his short wings alway flapping. But this penguin never stopped. He ran all day and even hopped. Throughout his life he practiced hard. That penguin one day could run far. by Rebecca Smith and Maiya Thornton. (Maiya is my grand daughter.)

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Larc, there's much insight in that for a 10 year old. Tell her she did great.

Aren't grandkids the best??

Lew W

• Angharad
    Angharad

Thanks for sharing Larc

Great poem Maiya & Rebecca

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

Out of the mouths of babes. What a beautiful poem. It gives me hope to hear children writing things like that. You've every right to be proud!

Mimilly

• DJ
    DJ

Larc,

Your'e grandaughter is a bright little thing! Reminds me of 'The Little Engine that Could". I hope that she treasures that poem for the rest of her life. I know that there have been many times when I needed words of encouragement like those! Maybe you can keepsake a copy for her in case she needs it one day.

Love, DJ

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Great poem. You and Zazu must be so proud of her!

• larc
    larc

Thanks folks for all the nice comments. I asked my grand daugter as to how the poem was co-authored. She told me that it was a class assignment and students were paired and asked to write a poem. Of all the student-pairs, they were the only ones that made print. Obviously, I am a proud grandpa. Tonight, she is visiting and is staying over night. Her aunt (my other daughter), my wife, myself, and my grand daughter spent the evening playing cards. We had a wonderful time. Ain't life grand?

• larc
    larc

I just wanted to add, her poem can be found in the book, "Anthology of Poetry by Young Americans, 2002 Edition", page 6.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

AWWWWWW!

Kids are great at that age.

• teejay
    teejay

I don't know how I missed this thread before, but Wow! Only ten and already has a published work!! You already had a big head. Now...

Btw, Larc, on my job the other day I heard someone say that people love their grandkids as much as their kids. Is that true? I don't see how.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit