What Would Happen if the Watchtower Loses Their TAX EXEMPT STATUS?

by John Aquila 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

Would it really affect them? How would it affect volunteers at any construction project since that work would now be taxable. Any materials they buy would be taxable. Any property they buy would be taxable by the city as property tax assets. Any contributions such as-money, property, Wills and Trusts, would now be taxable according to the law. How would it affect Circuit Overseers since their work would now be considered taxable? Would they now have to pay salaries and social security to the Circuit Overseers and permanent Bethel workers? The work of regular pioneers could be taxable.

Would this bring them down more than the Lawsuits?

Could they continue?

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

The Internal Revenue Service is the sole determiner of which 'religious' organization rises (or lowers) to their arbitrary, capricious and whimsical standards.

Let me answer your query directly. If the IRS refuses to disallow SCIENTOLOGY as a tax exempt religion, they sure aren't going to touch the Watchtower.

Of course, there were a whole battleground of lawsuits against the IRS by Scientology behind this which I won't go into here and now--but, the individual agents who work there know what power can be wielded by a crazy group of cultists. They're still licking their wounds.

The Watchtower and its multiple corporations would have their little white belly turned upward and exposed to ravenous predators should they lose exempt status. But--look at all those insane Pentecostal TV preachers who were investigated awhile back; none of them lost exemption. It's all smoke and mirrors.

• paradisebeauty
    paradisebeauty

it would be a disaster!

And I think it will happen soon in Great Britain. They have an investigation from the charity commission there going on.

• sir82
    sir82

If there were any hint of that approaching you'd suddenly see more "new light" than an 100,000 candlepower halogen lamp.

The WTS would wriggle, squirm, and bend their way to avoid paying a penny of taxes. If it meant they could continue tax-free, they'd teach that Jehovah is a trinitarian golden calf who burns people's immortal souls in hellfire.

I.e., the only way the WTS would lose its tax-exempt status is if all religions lost it, in which case the world would be so fundamentally different that JW issues would be the smallest of the consequences.

• Londo111
    Londo111
    I believe what the case Swaggart Ministries v. California Board of Equalization shows is that the Watchtower will modify its behavior drastically to avoid taxation.
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    I think it would be great. But I hope instead that religious organizations have to prove how charitable they are to remain tax exempt. I think it would be so funny if witnesses HAD to suddenly start feeding/housing the homeless and hungry. That would be a hoot. And it would actually help some people.
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher

Firstly, C.O.'s would lose their "parasite" status and be instructed to find part-time jobs to support themselves and their wives. A reduced rent for their C.O. flat - to help them out. Circuits would still pay for their cars.

Secondly, no more renting of venues for assemblies & conventions - these would now be televised to K.H.'s - thus saving the sheep's fleece, so send more of your fleece to "Mother"!

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

You guys are cracking me up with your descriptions!

TerryWalstrom

The Watchtower and its multiple corporations would have their little white belly turned upward and exposed to ravenous predators

sir82

If there were any hint of that approaching you'd suddenly see more "new light" than an 100,000 candlepower halogen lamp.

The Searcher

Firstly, C.O.'s would lose their "parasite" status

• Gayle
    Gayle

I can't see the government taking away tax exempt status to all religions - in my lifetime.

What I wish is that the U.S. government would required full account records available to the public. How much is really going for food, health (clinics), schooling (to public verifying education that all must meet state requirements). How much is going for multiple buildings, used for what. How much is really going for disaster reliefs. ETc., etc. All with comparison charts alongside all registered religions.

Then, let the people decide then, how much they want to donate, amount average per household.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    I certainly can see them losing their charity status in the UK. Although I can't comment on specifics this would hurt them more financially than any sex abuse case.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit