H20 vs JWD

by Amazing 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

H20 was a smashing success for a long time, even with many Moderators. The board rules were basically good common sense, and expressed some issues as to matters of law, such as not violating copyright, etc. I don't understand why H20 went down the tank.

In January 2001 H20 was still going strong. Then Rick was notified that his board was being bumped from their account and would have to find a new place to be hosted. This was fine I guess, and happens to a number of forums. When he got the new board back on line, the format was little more difficult - or at least required getting used to. I missed the older format where I could comment to a specific sub-thread. And when I read threads, the system kept track so I could see what I missed or what was new.

Now Enters Farkel: Sometime around February or March 2001 he posted on H20 that JWD was a great board. So, I checked it out, and registered. I fully planned to stay on H20 while I enjoyed being on JWD too. But somehow, as many of the H20 regulars moved over to JWD, it seemed that the H20 gang kind of didn't seem the same anymore.

Wars and rumors of wars: I heard of all kinds of nasty goings on with H20 after I got settled on JWD, with reports of Moderators running amuck, etc. But, that was not unusual, because H20 periodically had flame wars that involved Moddys, and then in the end everyone ended up apologizing, including Moddys.

March 2002: I went back to H20 to post there too, and see how things were going. Also, we had just finished the ugly wars on JWD and I was not sure how it was going to end, and was hedging my bets. ... not really, just kidding ... but I felt it was time to at least see how H20 was doing. Sadly, it was deader than a door nail. I was going to stick it out, but when I would see my old posting still on the front page after a month passed, it seemed that the lake had dried up. It was all so unnecessary.

Will JWD see the same fate? I read comments at times that JWD will face the same fate. Some recently believe that the addition of Moderators will cause JWD to end up as H20. I don't know, but it does not seem like Moderators are the problem, since H20 did well with them for a long time. Rather, I think change, of any kind, if it is drastic enough, has built in risks. If tomorrow Simon were to radically alter the board so that it was hard to use, and made lots of other major changes, it might be too much for a large collective of personalities to cope with ... but, so far, Simon has been very gracious and easy-going when introducing changes ... and so far, his formula has been a proven success.

What about H20 being resurrected to its former glory days? I think that would be great, and I would post there more often if it came back, but I would not leave JWD. Yet, I don't what the success formula is, other than observing what Simon has been doing. I feel bad for Rick, because I know he tried very hard to keep H20 running well ... nevertheless, when the majority of the regular gang moved on it wad hard for him to keep it on top.

What happened to E20, J20, NewSalem and NL2: These boards used to run fairly well, though somewhat slower than H20. Yet, if you look at them today, they are all virtual ghost towns. E20 just fizzled. J20 was taken over by Bibleman and his brand of teachings. NL2 was taken over by AGuest aka Shelby who wanted to speak messages of peace from God that no one wanted to hear, and New Salem just never seemed to get off the ground. None of these other boards were ever really Moderated ... so that does not seem to be the problem ...

The Success Formula: Whether a board is moderated does not seem to matter. People do fine whether Moddys are there or not ... though some Moderation is good to weed out the really nasty wicked stuff. So, I think the success formula is much more connected to something else ... but just what that "something else" is, I don't know ... but Simon seems to have it down well ... and so far JWD still has its MoJo baby, and I guess that is what counts.

Edited by - Amazing on 16 August 2002 23:59:24

• Larry
    Larry

H20 was a life saver :) Hey, does anybody remember Sandman, I think he is from 'down under' I use to enjoy his post.

Yeah, after H20 went down I wasn't involved with ex-jw boards for a while. Seeker told me about JWD, and even then I didn't have time for it. But now that my work load is normal (10 hours a day :) I have time to chat. I try to type every post like it's my last b/c I never know when I'll get another chance to contribute. Anyway, the 'Moderators' were a big problem @ H20, frankly I never understood the system - At one point I thought everybody were Moderators :)

So for my clarity sake - Would someone please tell me what's acceptable and what's not on this board?

Peace - LL

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

H2O was great for a number of reasons. And there are a number of reasons for its eventual demise.

First, the software and server change killed it. The board went down for 72 hours, and that is an eternity on the 'net. The new software was absolutely horrible and the familiarity and nostalgia that made H2O special was gone.

Second, Rick went off the deep end, started posting very weird things, and was always an odd, distant sysop. H2O used to have an identity, then it starting morphing, and with the 3 day interval, I think a lot of us started realizing that H2O's identity was undefinable, and it suddenly became an uncomfortable place to be.

Third, and corrolary to the above, H2O's main focus was on reform, and eventually there were no reform-minded active JWs who inhabited the board. Rick never, ever took my suggestion to heart that the OPEN FORUM be put on the back burner and make the JWs in the 21st Century forum the main one.

I haven't even looked at H2O for 16 months, after thousands of posts over 5 years. Too bad, too bad.

• SpiderMonkey
    SpiderMonkey

Amazing: an excellent, historical post. I wasn't "there when" H2O was big, but I very much appreciate the insight on the development of XJW boards since then. I also think that the moderator "issue" is a non-issue, and I think this board will survive... Actually, I just hope this board will survive, and continue to grow. I don't have any basis for believing one way or the other, aside from things I've heard... But it would IMO be a damn shame for this place to crash over some of the sophomoric clique-mongering that's been the norm lately.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Amazing Amazing! (Not original, but it's late and I'm sleepy)

• ISP
    ISP

I don't think the moderator thing is that much of a deal here.

ISP

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

Gawd was I ever hesitant to open this thread! However, I'm glad I did. I was unaware of the history behind H20 etc.

I have it on my Favorites list, but never go there. It's the format that made me continue seeking elsewhere. I didn't know a single soul on that board, so like I said - it was the format.

When I came here, it was (and is) a busy lil ol town of it's own, full of people and a variety of personalities. The format is easy to use, and I truly appreciate Simon and whatever monitors there are - their attempts to keep this a safe and respectable place to come. Even those given to the political flame wars know when an identity has 'crossed the line' re: abuse victims.

I hope this forum remains for a long time. It has become home, and you all are now my family. I think about you every day.

If worse came to worse, I would gather email and/or snail mail addys to keep in touch with those here. I don't know about the other boards or what they use to be like. I know this, for now, is a place I can depend on. And I'm thankful for that.

Mimilly

• puzzled
    puzzled

one last post before bed.

I went over to H20 to say hello, see what the topics were like, went back a few days later, still no reply. Not even a welcome. Nothing. Nadda. elnothingo.

so here I am

• Liquidizer
    Liquidizer

Well, it seems that the Finnish section of H2O keeps it alive while the international main section is rather sleepy nowadays. H2O is also in monetary problems now. I personally think that H2O will not survive if the current situation goes on a few months. We finns on H2O have already some plans to move our board on an Estonian site, see here: http://www.dejt.org/foorum/. Our nations have very strong and warm ties, especially after the Estonians got their indepence from former Soviet Union or Russia, so I think it would be much better to combine our efforts against the Watchtower in our countries. It wouldalso be a much easier to support financially the Estonian board. And the other benefit is that the loading times would be faster when the server is physically nearer. The coming months will show what is the future of H2O.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I have to confess, I didn't like the change to the posting engine (especially since it can be so slow), but things were so active here, I didn't think too much about moving on.

You get flame, bad language, and bad conduct on any board and in real life, so that has never bothered me. You just learn to filter it out. Although, when I first got on the Net, in '94/95 I did stumble across an "Apostate" site, and was so turned off by the anger and foulness of it, that I vowed never to do it again. And so I didn't, until after I had decided to leave the JW's, last year.

Chat is still a little bit wobbly, expecially when you get over a dozen in there. I think it was Logical's semi-departure that made that a little quieter. At least while he was around you were guaranteed a once in a while. When you see it empty, it can make you think twice about stepping in.

This board has become a home from homoe to so many. I hope it continues for a loooong time, becasue it has a great "feel" about it, even though it continues to evolve with the various characters here.

There are some lessons about change, here, though. Threads like this do good, in reminding the Sysop just what keeps a board alive, and lets be honest, the Sysop doesn't want his baby to die any more than those who love it.

Hope you're listening Simon. You've got a GREAT site!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit