by garybuss 59 Replies latest jw friends

• garybuss
  • garybuss
    garybuss

John 1-1 from Watch Tower Corporation printed Byington Bible 1972

• FRUSR8TD
    FRUSR8TD

paraphrased from the book "aid to bible understanding" 1971 edition

according to this book on page 884, Jehovah came from combineing YHVH with the vowels of lord (adhonay). The reason was that the scribes would use this as a form of code to remind the person reading aloud to say lord instead of god's name. Soooo....god's true name is jehovah....a traslation of a combination of YHVH and 'adoh-nay'.

Why does this just NOT seem to wash...

Quotes....I will e-mail you a scan of this and you can tell me if you get the same thing from it.

• compton
    compton

I have always understood the name "JHVH" means in Hebrew that he will show without
    a doubt that he is the "supreme one" to Pharoh, and which he will do again.

• thinker
    thinker

From the Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures:

pg. 11 "The exact pronunciation of the name is not known today, but the most popular way of rendering it is "Jehovah."

pg. 23 "While inclining to view the pronunciation "Yah-weh" as the more correct way, we have retained the form "Jehovah" because of people's familiarity with it since the 14th century."

written and published by the WTBTS in 1969.

• garybuss
    garybuss

The name *Bible Students* made sense.

I guess being Unknown Name's Witnesses had a dull ring to it huh?

gb

• Satanus
    Satanus

What seems really bent, is the way the wt always repeats the accurate knowledge mantra. How important it is to worship their god correctly, addressing him w respect, honor, dignity, but don't be getting too chummy. Being clean while doing so. They talk like he upsets easily. Then they turn around, flushing the accurate pronunciartoion down the tubes, running w what is currently popular w satans world. They address their god with a catholic chimera of a name.

Except for the fact that dumbass rutherford harnessed them w it, it doesn't make sense. It would really upset a lot of dubs if they had to change their religions name to yahweh's witnesses.

SS

• JW Ben
    JW Ben

I have not read all the posts, but that particular Bible, I have it at home and have not yet looked for that quote, was printed by the WTBTS but not written by them. It was published under lisence as the purchased the rights.

THe WTBTS have long recognised that the English form "Jehovah" is not the original way of saying the name, but then again neither is the English version of "Jesus" or Joshua", but they are accepted as being close and when they are used we recognise who is being spoken about, so the use the name "Jehovah" because it was widely recognised as the name of the Hebrews God before JWs were even thought of.

If we accept Jesus etc why not accept the English Jehovah?

• garybuss
    garybuss

Yes SS, Once I asked the Rabbi what God's name was and he asked me. "If there is only one God, why is it important?". He said God's name is only important to polytheists. He said they call him My Lord or 'adoh-nay'.

I asked him if the Hebrew people ever quit using God's name and he said no. It was not used by the people but it was used by the High Priest on the Day Of Atonement in the High Holy and they never have quit using it. He said it is pronounced "Yah-weh".

I asked him what is his favorite translation of the Bible and he said they just learn Hebrew and read it in the original Hebrew.

More . . .

gb

• Solace
    Solace

My J.W. family and I used to tell everyone, "Oh we are the only religion with the true, correct pronounication and spelling of gods name blah blah blah...... They still tell everyone this but if someone questions it and backs it up with biblical proof they say, "Well, its impossible to have the exact spelling or its not that important. Ugh.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit