Our press release...

by mikepence 20 Replies latest jw friends

• mikepence
    mikepence

I wanted to pull this out into its own thread...this is the press release that will be going out as soon as we reach our goal...please go to http://www.amazon.com/paypage/P2RANMTQODEI4E to get us there!

Here is the text of the press release...don't send it around just yet!

For immediate release

Family of molestation victims find aid, comfort on the net

PHOENIX, August 16 A Phoenix familys appeal on the Internet this week for assistance in funding a trip to Philadelphia to press charges against their childrens alleged molester, a Jehovah's Witnesses minister, has been met with an overwhelming show of generosity and compassion. In the space of three days, the family was able to raise over $1000, much of it contributed anonymously by concerned strangers, to finance their travel.

Michael and Denise Pence of Phoenix, Arizona, first heard their childrens account of being sexually assaulted in early March of this year. Michael, a writer and software developer, said, "I had been researching an article for publication on the topic of Jehovah's Witnesses and child sex abuse when my own children came forward and described, in horrific detail, having been abused by an elder in our former Oreland, Pennsylvania congregation."

The family immediately notified the Maricopa County, Arizona, Sheriffs department, and filed a report by fax with the Whitpain, Pennsylvania police. However, officials from the Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, District Attorneys office informed the family that they would have to be physically present to provide a statement to prosecutors and press charges.

The family also notified the body of elders of the Oreland congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses of their allegations. No action was taken to remove the minister from his position of responsibility, or to limit his access to children. "To this day, friends who still attend that Kingdom Hall tell us that he continues to hold children on his lap during services and to preach from the platform," said Michael.

Accounts like this are familiar to William H. Bowen, of Draffenville, Kentucky, who resigned from his position as an elder in the group in 2000, in protest over their mishandling of child sexual abuse cases. According to Bowen, the church insists on handling allegations of child abuse internally, requiring the enforcement of a biblical edict that there must be two eyewitnesses to an act of abuse before they consider disciplining a member. As a result of these policies, Bowen says that the Witnesses have created a "pedophile's paradise."

Desperate, and shunned by Witness family members for alleging the abuse, the Pences asked for help on the Internet. The response was immediate and overwhelming. "I wept at the generosity and caring messages from people -- most of them strangers -- on the net," said Michael. "As Jehovah's Witnesses, we had always been taught that worldly people, non-Witnesses, are evil and selfish. Ironically, in our hour of need they have shown more compassion in three days than we received in 30 years of being in that group. We are deeply grateful."

The Pences have been plagued with financial and medical problems in recent months, making the required cross-country trip problematic. "I was so frustrated. I knew we had to get up there, and I didnt see how we were going to do it. We live from paycheck to paycheck," said Denise.

Thanks to the generosity of people on the Internet, the family has raised the $1022 needed to fly to Philadelphia and press charges. They will also be attending a demonstration in Brooklyn Heights on September, 27, in front of the world headquarters of the Jehovah's Witnesses, which is being hosted by Bowens organization, "silentlambs," in protest of the churchs policies.

"We feel that the policies of Jehovah's Witnesses contributed to our childrens abuse. Our children want to be there, to voice their anger, and to try to prevent other children from being similarly abused," said Michael.

Jehovah's Witnesses include 1 million members in the United States, with 6 million members worldwide. Allegations of mishandling of cases of child sexual abuse by the Witnesses, and lawsuits stemming from such charges, have been the topic of recent coverage by the Associated Press, Dateline NBC, the New York Times, CNNs Connie Chung Tonight, and the BBCs Panorama.

Michael and Denise Pence: AZ 602-318-5442, [email protected]

William H. Bowen: KY 270-527-5350, http://www.silentlambs.org

• Dia
    Dia

Beautiful!

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Mike,

Send this off to the Today show and Good Morning America. It sounds like a story they would be interested in. I am glad you were able to raise the money to come here.

Devon McBride

• Celia
    Celia

Very good article Mike.

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

I am so happy for you and your family that you have reached your goal! It just goes to show that no one is alone ever again.......together we will all get thru this!

Hug your kids for us............

• Mister 8iggs
    Mister 8iggs

Mike-

I'm speechless. I can't wait to see all of you when you arrive in Philly.

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

BEAUTIFUL!!

• mikepence
    mikepence

Let me clarify that we are not quite there yet! We are, at this moment, at 78%...a mere $220 from our goal!

Please go to http://www.amazon.com/paypage/P2RANMTQODEI4E and kick in a few more bucks and we will be there and we can let the world know!

• Larry
    Larry

Mike - I contributed to Silentlambs, was that the right place for your cause? Oh, what do you look like so I can shake your hand at the March :)

Peace - LL

• mikepence
    mikepence

Contributing to Silentlambs is good, too! Thanks!

Here is what I will do. It is now 1:00 AZ time...everyone who donates in the next hour, I will give a matching donation to Silentlambs before the march!

The clock is ticking... http://www.amazon.com/paypage/P2RANMTQODEI4E

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit