Serena Williams

by expatbrit 16 Replies latest jw friends

• RR
    RR

You guys ever see those commercial with Serena and Venus? If I didn't know any better, I'd swear they were lesbian lovers.

• teejay
    teejay

SevenofNine,

Their peers found them to be aloof. I think I might have a tendency to be aloof also if I found myself being criticized with every move I've made, since my playground days in Compton, California.

It's because these sisters are black.

The world of tennis was finally forced to recognize their greatness and set aside their racism after these girls won a few grand slam titles.

...seems to want to have one foot in the world, and one foot in the organization. Sounds like alot of people I know.

Johnny Mac doesn't need to be handing out advice.

Maybe it gives them the strength they need to look up into that sea of white faces... and ignore those hate vibes coming at them.

They are... two of the most naturally gifted athletes this country has ever produced.

dang! did you tell 'em, or what?

YOU GO GIRLS!!!!!

no, YOU go, Seven!!

holla.

Edited by - teejay on 18 March 2001 20:25:40

• Seeker
    Seeker

In fact, the Williams sisters are so popular on the Tour, they are the number one draw on the women's Tour. Ratings sour when Venus or Serena do well, so the networks love them. They are very popular among viewers and fans.

So although there is some racism among the players, the fact that they are black had not one thing to do with the boos this weekend. They are popular, so for them to get booed means something happened this time. If it were because they are black, they would get booed every time.

• Seeker
    Seeker

LOL, typo alert! I meant to write that ratings "soar" when the Williams sisters are involved, NOT "sour". Talk about undermining your own argument...

• RavynX
    RavynX

so maybe if Serena and Venus get kicked out of the Watchtower, they can convert Michael Jackson to Mormons and he can marry them both?

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Oh wow, now we're bringing Michael Jackson into this!

If y'all really want to get controversial, we could discuss George Benson!

Expatbrit

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

The only thing that bothers me about this whole thing is that once again the WTBTS sacrifices its rules, regulations, and principles based on money and fame.

In the congregation where I grew up, a person with money could do almost anything and it was glossed over. Someone without clout would be severely reprimanded or disfellowshipped for the same thing.

I bear no animosity towards the Williams sisters. I think they have accomplished much and that they are very dedicated to their sport and talented. It just rankles me that they can bend or break any of the supposed "rules straight from Jehovah" with no repercussions.

The WTBTS once again shows its true colors.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit