Serena Williams

by expatbrit 16 Replies latest jw friends

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

From the BBC:

Serena Williams showed real maturity to come from behind and win the Indian Wells title with a 4-6 6-4 6-2 victory over rising star Kim Clijsters in front of a hostile crowd.

The younger of the Williams' sisters incurred the wrath of the crowd because of her route to the final - elder sister Venus pulled out of the their semi-final with a knee injury.

In a patchy match between two players tipped to dominate the womens' game for years to come, Williams' greater experience was the significant factor.

"I would like to thank my God, Jehovah, for giving me the strength to compete today since you guys were a little tough on me today," said Williams, who picks up a check of $330,0000.

Jehovah gave her the strength to compete? Isn't this the chick who sang the US national anthem at the Olympics?
    You would think she'd be getting some serious chats in the library coming her way.

Expatbrit

Edited by - expatbrit on 18 March 2001 12:34:57

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

I am sure as long as she cuts the WT their 10% of her winnings, what she as does as far as being a WT hypocrite will be overlooked.

• Gopher
    Gopher

So Serena, is Jehovah really supposed to CARE who wins a tennis match between you and Ms. Clijsters? C'mon!

And talk about a "persecution complex"! The Williams' sisters seem to want to have one foot in the world, and one foot in the organization. So they're viewed with suspcision by "both" sides. Even their peers have found them rather aloof! I've heard John McEnroe plead with them on American television to please loosen up and treat their fellow pros with at least some kindness.

So it's no wonder that their peers and the press don't cut them much slack! They made their bed!

I hope all the money they're making is worth the sacrifice of a well-adjusted life and the sacrifice of their true values!

• Seven
    Seven

expie, Thanks for the post, I hadn't heard Serena got to the final by a walk-over. So what? It happens all the time. Gopher, you are correct. Their peers found them to be aloof. I think I might have a tendency to be aloof also if I found myself being criticized with every move I've made, since my playground days in Compton, California.
    It's because these sisters are black. They never played juniors, which is unheard-of. Their father, who everyone dislikes too insisted they get an education-also unheard-of. Look at former world number 1's and see who has a high school diploma-Lindsey Davenport. The world of tennis was finally forced to recognize their greatness and set aside their racism after these girls won a few grand slam titles. Ditto for the sponsors of women's tennis.

...seems to want to have one foot in the world, and one foot in the organization.

Sounds like alot of people I know. I'm not going to judge them. Johnny Mac doesn't need to be handing out advice. Maybe he can teach the girls how to grab their crotches and shake them at the chair or to practice their "**** yous," to elderly men in the stands at Wimbledon. He needs to shut his pie hole on the subject of public relations. Sorry about the ranthere. Don't take it as a personal attack. I just go off when I see all of what these sisters have accomplished be overshadowed by off court bullcrap and petty jealousy. I'm glad they have Jehovah on their side of the net. Maybe it gives them the strength they've needed to become the champions they are. And the strength they need to look up into that sea of white faces, like the one at Indian Wells and ignore those hate vibes coming at them. They are Jehovah's Witnesses and incredibly enough two of the most naturally gifted athletes this country has ever produced. YOU GO GIRLS!!!!!

peace,
    Seven

• Gopher
    Gopher

OK 7, you got me. Nothing personal felt on this side. Just an exchange of different ideas.

I will grant you that what they have accomplished as African-Americans, and as people in their field is truly amazing. And whenever I watch them, I do secretly pull for them.

I don't mean to sound judgmental. But when Serena brings Jehovah's name into the equation as far as a specific sporting event is concerned, I cringe. I like that they are open about their beliefs as Jehovah's Witnesses. I read a very favorable article in "Sports Illustrated" from Rick Reilly about 2-3(?) years ago which spoke of them leaving magazines in the locker rooms for others to read, etc.

You are right about John McEnroe not being the ideal role-model. However, I do believe he is only voicing what others are saying. He did not start the idea that maybe they could open up.

After all, if they represent a loving Father and his loving Son, shouldn't they try to treat their peers (their "neighbors") in a loving, respectful way, no matter how hard it may seem to be? "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." (Sorry for the trite saying, I couldn't think of any other.)

Agape, Gopher

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Hi Seven:

Not really into tennis, so the racism thing isn't an area I can comment on. I have heard of and seen John McEnroe however. Amusing how he's commenting on others' behaviour (it's the PITS).

My interest in the subject is because the Williams sisters are apparently saying and doing things that would get the average JW in a whole lot of trouble, and not seeing any repercussions. Serena's comment is a good example of this.

Either the WT has a double standard, or they're simply scared of the media exposure and have chickened out on the "shepherding", imo.

Btw, did you know that one of the great traditions of Wimbledon is how the BBC commentary box always gets filled up with British players eliminated in the early rounds? That's why aunty Beeb has such good tennis coverage!

Expatbrit

• Seven
    Seven

Expie and Gopher, I understand and respect your points of view and agree about the "double standard" issue. I have a tendency to become overzealous where they're concerned. I'm proud of those sisters who by whatever means had a few dreams come true.Seven

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

My thoughts mirror Seven's, for the most part. I do disagree with this statement, "They are Jehovah's Witnesses...."

I don't believe that they are Witnesses in any sense that you or I can really understand. This is no doubt just one more area of life that is freakishly outside of the norm for them. Still, they do have the title, and their God is Jehovah, and they certainly got that from being raised by a JW parent, in a JW congregation.

What I do believe about them is that they believe in Jehovah, and, for that matter, they probably believe in JW's as His chosen people.

For some reason, witnesses seem all too happy to praise Jehovah for all sorts of coincidental favourable circumctance, (ie., I found twenty dollars to get gas for service tomorrow, so I won't have to take that job) yet are always quick to criticize when people of almost supernatural talent graciously give credit to God for said talent.

Still, I know the mindset. Displays like the Williams sisters used to make me cringe. Looking back, I have no clue why, other than small mindedness.

I would feel confident betting large sums of money that the way the Williams sisters are dealt with in their local congregation, is dictated by men higher up the food chain than their local elders. I would bet that they are handled with kid gloves both for reasons of money (as another poster pointed out), and also because the court of public opinion is focused so intently on them (and thereby the JW org as well) right now. Having a daddy not known for taking s**t probably doesn't hurt either.

btw, JW's are raised from infancy to be aloof to worldly people.

YOU GO GIRLS!!!

• CornerStone
    CornerStone

Hello All,

I think the WTS is being very cautious or right out scared of the bad press these tennis stars could give them. A little to much "counseling", a little to much "blue room" treatment( our rooms blue) and world wide attention of the negetive type could instantly be dropped right at the Brooklyn front door. As what usually happens with super-stardom, Serena and her sister will be beholden to their work first and I am not talking about the preaching work! The GB will have to think carefully on how they want to grab this particular cobra by the neck. It might turn around and bite them in the kiester.

CornerStone

• Seeker
    Seeker

SevenofNine, the reason Serena was booed this weekend had little to do with all the resons you cited. This was a specific case, not a general attitude. What happened was this:

When it became apparent that Serena and Venus were going to meet in the Semis, another tennis player, when asked what she thought the outcome would be, said, 'Ask Richard, it's up to him' or something like that. She expressed what many have been suspecting, that the Williams family orchestrates the outcome of the matches between Serena and Venus.

Then, before they could play, Venus who showed absolutely no sign of injury in her previous match, suddenly announced that she could play in the Semis. Coming right after the accusation that the family decides who will win, it looked like a set up to let Serena get to the finals.

Not only did the audience not get to see the Venus-Serena match they paid for, there was suspicion of throwing a match. That's where these boos came from. If a white tennis player had pulled the same dirty stunt, they would have been booed just as loudly (witness the way Martina Hingis was loudly booed during last year's French Open, for instance, even though she is a popular star on the tour).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit