Cancer

by Sirona 63 Replies latest jw friends

• TR
    TR

Sirona,

My sis-in-law had skin cancer several years back. She's very fair skinned, and used to sun-bathe a lot. She developed the cancer on her leg somewhere on her ankle/calf area. She had it removed, and there has been no reoccurance. If you want, I could call her and get more details for you.

TR

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

I hope all goes well!

We get checked every year or two for lesions..sunspots.. tags etc.!

Both hubby and I were sun worshippers when young!

The Dr we were going to was a D.O. I don't know much about M.D. and D.O. but I get the feeling they are one step way from a M.D.

Anyway..hubby had a sore spot on his face. The Dr had someone in his offce training him. He was asked to look at hubby's face and he said it was Cancer.Well the other Dr said..no it isn't. and proceeded to freeze it. A Lot!. Now when hubby shaves it gets raw. We are going to go to another Dr that is a dermatologist MD. Hubby keeps remembering what that other Dr said and he wants to know for sure!.

We have had several places "Frozen or Burned .(Hate those brown spots) We say we are going to get "Zapped".That other Dr just made us both nervous. Need to check it out by a second opinion!

Golden Girl

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

Stupid computer!

Edited by - Golden Girl on 16 August 2002 12:11:49

• JeffT
    JeffT

You are quite correct that this can be very serious. There is no such thing as minor cancer. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Mulan: My dad ran the bone marrow transplant program at Fred Hutch for years. If you want some resources drop me a line (for that matter that goes for anybody else that wants cancer info). My e-mail is unlocked.

• LDH
    LDH

GGirl,

A DO is an MD with extra training.

Sirona,

((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))

Everyone else.....The majority of damage done by the sun occurs before age 21. If you do not slather your child with sunscreen and make sure he/she wears sunglasses you are ASKING for trouble.

The increase in skin cancers is directly related to the depletion of the Ozone layer. The ozone layer naturally protected us from harmful UV rays, now it's got a HUGE hole in it.

I AVOID the sun at all costs, and my husband uses the max sun protection while he golfs.

Sirona, thanks for reminding everyone. You will be glad to know that yesterday I made a followup appt with my dermatologist to look at some changes to a mole on my arm since the baby was born.

Lisa

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Sirona}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I'll be praying for you.

• jelly
    jelly

LDS,

This is probably a stupid but honest question. I did not think dark skinned people got skin cancer I thought it was more of a 'white' thing.

Jelly

• RN
    RN

Sirona,

This has been a good and informative thread, thank you for starting it.

Folks, Melanoma is nothing to fool with. It does not always arise from pigmented nevi (moles). It WILL spread to other body structures and it CAN kill you.

Basal Cell and Squamous Cell Cancers are usually localized and are fairly easy to treat, if found early enough. But it is not always quite that simple. Both types have various subtypes, some more aggressive than others. These may need to be treated with specialized skin surgery called MOHS Surgery. Regardless of the type, skin cancers should be surgically excised.

Actinic keratosis are pre-cancerous skin changes. They are treated with Liquid Nitrogen, or for skin areas that are widely affected topical 5FU (a chemotherapy drug).

Any mole that changes in size, shape, color or a mole that itches or bleeds should be checked out by a Dermatologist. Areas that are crusty, have a sandpaper feel, pink or white pearlized areas need to be checked. If you have alot of moles or sustained sunburns as a child or have had a great deal of sun exposure (especially in sunny areas, ie Southern US/ Arizona/California) see a Dermatologist for a skin exam. Anyone who has had a skin cancer should see their Derm for an annual skin exam. Once you have had a skin cancer you are at high risk for developing more. If you have been diagnosed with a Melanoma, immediate family members (siblings/children) should also have skin exams as they are at higher risk.

Dermatologist are specialy trained to diagnose and treat diseases of the skin. Please do not let your Family doctor, GP, or OB/GYN, etc. play dermatologist.

Lori, RN

(of the Four years of Derm experience class)

• Mulan
    Mulan

I have to add another warning here too. If a lump or cyst is concerning you, INSIST it be biopsied. Do NOT let a doctor or anyone else tell you it is nothing to worry about.

My niece's husband discovered a lump in his neck a year ago. His Group Health doctor assured him it was a cyst and "don't worry about it". This summer, his wife, my niece, was concerned, so insisted on a biopsy. Guess what? A year ago, the doctor was WRONG!!!! He has non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, very serious, incurable. They are devastated. A year can make a huge difference to cancer. Wednesday, the doctor found multiple lumps all over his body, deeper than you would feel normally, unless examined this way. He is at Grade 2 now, but is still having tests. If it's in his bone marrow, he will be classed Grade 4.

• LDH
    LDH

Jelly,

This is what I know about that. I'm pretty sure it's accurate.

All darker complexions (including the Olive skin tones of the Meditteranean) have *some* natural protection from damage done by the sun's rays.

That protection does NOT mean that darker skinned folks shouldn't bother with sunscreen. My husband, who is pretty dark in the winter, by the end of summer is BLLLLLAAAAACCCCKKKKK. And he wears 40 spf and a hat, etc faithfully. Therefore, I know he is still being exposed to harmful rays. I believe the way it works, if all things were equal, it may take a black person LONGER to get skin cancer (unless that person already had a history of moles etc running in the family).

Also, white people didn't used to get skin cancer because they avoided the sun. (80 years ago, it was thought that if you had a suntan that meant you were so poor you had to do your own outside work. Now, a suntan means you have enough income for a vacation or at least a tanning bed, LOL).

When I lived in Puerto Rico I always looked wierd, because I wore sunglasses. The Puerto Rican people for the most part never did. Now ask yourself, why does PR have one of the highest incidents of cancer of the cornea? The cornea itself is suceptible to cancer, which I didn't even know before I lived there.

So I think the answer is, darker complexions also are at risk for melanoma, and the risk factors are for the same as the lighter complexions.

Skin nevus, sun exposure, etc.

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit