Dumb Music Stuff - What I Left Behind

by Stephanus 16 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

Steph,

I'm glad you didn't leave.

I was never allowed to have a radio in my room. A JW couple from Maryland, some friends, bought me a Sony Dream Cube AM/FM Alarm Clock.

It was repossesed. I was 17.

I organized a roller skating party when I was 19. Every record had to be pre-approved by my parents, who to their credit, listened to every word of every record we wanted to play.

You wanna hear something funny? That was when 45's were in, and I still have my 45's with the little stickers on them that say "OK" in my Dad's handwriting. Those were the records they approved.

Such banal fare as Debbie Gibson's "Only in my dreams" was allowed, LOL.

My father must have lost his mind on one of the songs thought. He OK'd Guns N Roses "Welcome to the Jungle" and another one titled something about Paradise. LOL. The one about Paradise, I can't remember the name, was played at least 4 times during the 2 hour party.

I have a friend whose daughter is my daughter's age, 12, and she is only allowed to listen to "Christian" Music. Every time she comes over I give her a healthy dose of rock, rap, and jazz.

When I look at how she's raising her daughter, it almost exactly mirrors how we were raised. I try to talk some sense into her, but of course she says that she has the truth, so she knows what she's doing.

Lisa

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Mom called the elders on me, and I can still remember the meeting. All sitting in a half circle with my offensive albums placed on the floor in the center. We went thru each album:

Black Sabbath vol 4: Gone

Led Zeppelin Houses of the Holy: Gone

Two Virgins: Gone This one really got me, it is worth over $250.00 now.

Simon & Garfunkel: Keep

Monkeys : Keep (Hey, it was a gift)

Jimmy Hindricks ELO: Gone

Abby Road: Keep

• Farkel
    Farkel

Steph,

: Does anyone have specifically Dub experiences of this kind?

Yes. When Harold King, a soft-spoken English gentleman, was released after yearly 20 years in a Chinese prison for selling Watchtower trash, he traveled around and spoke. When he came to our area and spoke he mentioned how much worse the "world" had become in those 20 years he was out-of-touch with society. I vividly remember him speaking of this one Satan-inspired new musical group that was destroying our youth's morals. That group? The Beatles! Can you believe that? The Beatles were almost alone in the turbulent late 1960's and early 1970's in singing messages of love, and hope. They were almost alone in singing messages not of revolution and turmoil, but messages that made one feel good about oneself. God forbid anyone should have the nerve to feel good about oneself in WatchtowerLand.

There were several other songs around 1965 that were "banned" by our local window-washer leaders. One was "Lightning Strikes," and was about a guy having a hard time controlling his er, libido when he was kissing his girlfriend. The other I remember was sung by Gale Garnet and was called "We'll Sing in the Sunshine." Dub thought police thought it was the most immoral song they could ever imagine because the women implied that when she was done loving and bedding a man, she would simply leave him and go to someone else.

We were not allowed to dance the "Twist," either. As a result of my idiotic dubism, I didn't really begin to listen to an appreciate the great groups of my youth until years later. I'm talking about groups like The Grateful Dead (demonized name!), The Doors, Chicago, Blood, Sweat and Tears, Dylan and Credence Clearwater Revival to name only a few.

Also, I have to be honest and admit at the time, I was an uptight musical purist and scoffed at most music except the classics.

:What must it have been like for a gifted musician trying to turn Watchtower dirges into something fit for human consumption!

It got me into trouble, that's what. I did some really nice and up-tempo arrangements of some of the better songs and dubs loved 'em. The CO didn't. He said I needed to tone it down as I was bringing too much attention and "glorifying" myself. God forbid that I steal any of HIS thunder, that sanctimonous puke.

Farkel

Edited by - Farkel on 16 August 2002 20:2:37

• LDH
    LDH

Fark says:

As a result of my idiotic dubism, I didn't really begin to listen to an appreciate the great groups of my youth until years later. I'm talking about groups like The Grateful Dead (demonized name!), The Doors, Chicago, Blood, Sweat and Tears, Dylan and Credence Clearwater Revival to name only a few.

Well then what's my excuse? The groups you mentioned make up quite a bit of my music collection.

Right now I'm listening to the Charlie Daniels band... Chicago's horn section still blows me away.

Lisa

• Robdar
    Robdar

Stephanus,

In my house we were not allowed to listen to any "suggestive" music. The lyrics (and my mom listened closely) could not have any mention of sex or any swear words. Other than that, there were no restrictions. I could listen to any sort of rock music. I didn't care for country but my dad did. If the lyrics were suggestive, he had to play them when mom wasn't around or risk her wrath. I remember one that she gave him holy hell for. It was called "Linda on my Mind" by Conway Twitty. A great little number about adultery.

I had the Some Girls album by the Rolling Stones. I would always skip past the title cut when my mom was around. One day dad came bounding thru the living room while I was playing it. Of course, he had to come in right at the part where Mick Jagger says the F word and I just knew I was going to get in trouble. He stopped, asked me if Mick just said what he thought that he had said. I said yeah and bowed my head because I figured he was going to bless me out. Instead, he laughed and went on into the kitchen. I decided that day that my dad was pretty cool for an elder.

All this time I was thinking that it was only JWs and Baptists that were so strict about their music. Again, you have enlightened me.

Love ya,

Robyn

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Hi stephanus.....what would we do without music?

My mom was a fanatic when it came to my sister and me. She actually burned all my Beatles 45's in the back yard. It seems when you played them backwards, they had demonic messages!! (rolling eyes)

She just broke the rest.....

Touch Me..The Doors (SEX)

Magic Carpet Ride..Steppenwolf (DRUGS)

Light My Fire...Doors (SEX and DRUGS)

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida...Iron Butterfly (she just thought the words were demonic)

Love Child...Supremes (teenage pregnancy)

Me and Mrs. Jones...Billy Paul (adultery)

Brown Sugar..Rolling Stones (ORAL SEX--yes, I said oral sex!)

Black Magic Woman..Santana (Obvious)

Crystal Blue Persuasion...Tommy James (DRUGS, DRUGS, DRUGS)

Hell, she even threw out Make it With You, by Bread!!!!!

and anything by Led Zeppelin was automatically thrown out.

When I pointed out to her that her precious Tom Jones and Dusty Springfield albums had some pretty sexual lyrics, she got really pissed, took a steak knife, and scratched off the "offending" songs. And didn't speak to me for a week. Hypocrites can get really angry when they're wrong! LOL

April

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

LOL@ Robdar's dad's comment about Mick!

When I pointed out to her that her precious Tom Jones and Dusty Springfield albums had some pretty sexual lyrics, she got really pissed, took a steak knife, and scratched off the "offending" songs. And didn't speak to me for a week. Hypocrites can get really angry when they're wrong!

Amen to that!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit