Coping Mechanisms of Sexual and Physical Abuse

by Victor_E 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Victor_E
    Victor_E

"As a child, I learned that strength was the denial of feeling. Now I see that feeling is the key to self-honesty. Within feeling is found the passion for change." ........A Survivor

In this post I will explain three defenses victims of sexual and physical abuse use to contain the feelings generated by their past experiences in an effort to survive. This topic and field is complex and controversial and my intention in writing is to assist survivors and educate their loved ones. In that spirit if it helps you in some way, it will have been worth the effort and time spent in writing it. Since I will make some generalizations there will be some exceptions to the rule so you may find generalizations that dont apply to you.

One very important factor to consider is the age when the violation took place. According to researchers in this field, if sexual abuse occurs prior to age six the mind has the ability to repress it so deeply in the unconscious mind that amnesia occurs. This natural defense helps the child to survive and adapt to the predatory environment. One victim once told me that at age five, it was customary for her father to come into her bedroom at night have sex with her and the next day she couldnt remember the experience nor the feelings.

Think of these defenses as the three walls of a triangle that contain the feelings inside for the victim to deal with in later years. With time these defenses begin to wear down or weaken plus it takes a lot of energy to contain the emotions, this is one reason why abuse survivors feel constant fatigue in later years. We think the unconscious mind begins to bloom the feelings to be released once it knows the victim has acquired the necessary resources or inner strengths to deal with all the feelings and issues through lifes experience.

Denial: While all defenses are powerful this one tends to be the most used. The victim oftentimes is threatened to not tell anyone at the risk of grave harm to the victim or the rescuer or both. This is like putting an energetic lock in the form of a hypnotic command while in a deep state of trance. The reason for the trance state is the hyper emotional state the victim is in. In this state any commands given are programmed into the unconscious without any conscious rational filtering. What this means in plain English is that those commands are recorded there and run as an operating system much like that of a computer. The computer does not care whether the programming is true or false and flawed, it will execute it as it was programmed. In similar ways the victim thinks and feels as programmed by the victimizer and the experience. In one case I had a forty five year old woman deny that her parents (who were drug users) had instigated her rape by multiple persons. She had been ritually abused and commanded not to tell anyone. When this victim was asked pointed questions she would go into an age regressed state of a little girl and just black out. In time when her defense of denial was removed she got visual flashbacks and the emotions she had repressed. This is such a lengthy topic that I will write a future post on it.

Repression: This defense buries the feelings very deep that accessing them is next to impossible. Some victims report the feeling of going crazy, why? As a result of feeling ambivalent not knowing for certain whether the abuse took place or not due to being unable to assess the feelings. They may blame themselves of having a highly creative imagination. In some cases the victim rationalizes and justifies the abuse. As pathological as this sounds there are factors that lead to this. One is the victim experiences an orgasm during the abuse. The distorted belief that accompanies this type of rationalization is, if I enjoyed it then I must have instigated it, caused it, or wanted it. What the victim fails to understand is that the body was merely responding to stimulation even if it was forced. Another factor is the hypnotic commands said to the victim in a highly suggestible state of trance, during the abuse. In one case I had one woman report to me how her stepfather forced her to say to him during the abuse, Im daddys little whore. It is no wonder this woman, as an adolescent became extremely promiscuous.

Dissociation: This is the phenomenon of leaving your body and projecting yourself to some other location, even inside the abusers body. Some victims report under hypnosis that they are floating above their bodies viewing themselves being abused. Since they are dissociated from their body it is literally like the abuse happened to someone else. Since victims have the acquired ability to read other peoples energy and some can spot predators, they report it as a heavy sensation or some somatic sensation in their body. One important factor that often happens with victims who learned to dissociate is they experience splintering. This is a defense mechanism that partitions the feeling into parts of them or sub-personalities. In the extremity of abuse and trauma it leads to dissociative disorders formerly known as multiple personalities.

Suggested reading:

Vital lies simple truths by Daniel Goldman

Feelings buried alive never die by Carol Kuhn

The path to wholeness by Carol Tuttle

• Scully
    Scully

Thank you, Victor.

This is very informative, and makes these phenomenae easier to understand.

Love, Scully

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

Great post Victor, and yes, very informative.

Multiple Personality Disorder or MPD is now listed in the DSM as Dissociative Identity Disorder.

And it's real. (but don't go believing the Hollywood version) Only those with prolonged and severe abuse while in early childhood can become 'Multiples', or splintered. If the abuse does not start during this early time - the person will not and can not use this mechanism. They can dissociate, but not become splintered to full D.I.D.s

Mimilly

• DJ
    DJ

How terribly sad.........

DJ

• Swan
    Swan

Is there such a thing as trying to remember the incident so vividly that you are wanting to go back and relive the abuse, at least in your mind? Does this make any sense?

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Fascinating post. Thanks Victor. I'm curious if you've read "Victims No Longer" by Mike Lew. It's aimed primarliy at male survivors of abuse.

When I was in therapy, my therapist also treated pedophiles. She said it was very difficult for her and eventually she stopped seeing any offender. But she did tell me once that most pedophiles do target very young children specifically because of this behavior you point out.

According to researchers in this field, if sexual abuse occurs prior to age six the mind has the ability to repress it so deeply in the unconscious mind that amnesia occurs.

She said they had a saying, "If you wait until 8, it's too late." Chilling, isn't it?

One thing I learned from my therapy is that victims use these behaviors as a coping tool, in order to survive the abuse, but that these very tools that helped once, begin to work against the victim once the abuse has ended (they are grown or move out, etc.). Lately I'm beginning to look on the Witnesses as something similar. When I was growing up, the simple solutions they offered, the demanding regimen of meetings and service actually helped me. It not only gave me something to hope for, but it offered me a way to "earn" approval from God; a way to work off my ugly secret. But when I got married and moved away from my abusive family, this "religon" no longer helped, but began hurting. The simple solutions no longer worked. The demanding regimen weighed me down and I realised that salvation is not earned, but is a gift from God.

Sorry for rambling, but this is an interesting subject to me. I usually see things that most people don't.

• Victor_E
    Victor_E

Is there such a thing as trying to remember the incident so vividly that you are wanting to go back and relive the abuse, at least in your mind? Does this make any sense?

Before I can answer this question I would need to know what is the intention behind regressing to the abuse? In the care of a skilled clinician regression is a powerful technique to induce a catharsis, which is a release of trapped emotions. We call this re-experiencing experience with intent. It is not necessary to feel all the pain from the experience and I partition the pain to about only 10% and no more. Healing should not be as painful as the wounding or the cure should not be worse than the ailment.

I highly encourage any victim to learn to regress under the guidance and care of a skilled clinician because you will need someone to establish a communication loop to help you recover what needs to be recalled to accelerate the healing process. In one study done, researchers discovered that the real healing starts to occur when a person has a witness to witness the abuse and trauma that they have held for so long. The rescuer whom ever that may be whether its a parent or a therapist plays out that witness role. Think about what has happened with elders following the directives of the Watchtower to suppress the victims and as stated by some this is another form of victimizing the victim. Bill Bowen is a hero and I applaud his efforts in helping these victims have their voice and start the healing process.

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

Ugly Duckling - while some people go under hypnosis - I never did. I never tried to remember any of the incidents 'so' vividly - that is why they are called flashbacks. It just happens, usually from a 'trigger'.

Do some research before making such a comment please. No one would 'want' to go through that again willingly.

Mimilly

• Satanus
    Satanus

Big tex

It's commonly acceptedthat pedos can't be cured. Yet, one of your therapists treated some. I'm curious about the results she got. Were any rehabilitated? If anyone else has info in this, please feel free to share.

SS

• Victor_E
    Victor_E

When I was in therapy, my therapist also treated pedophiles. She said it was very difficult for her and eventually she stopped seeing any offender. But she did tell me once that most pedophiles do target very young children specifically because of this behavior you point out.

I personally choose not to work with pedophiles I have seen too much and dealt with too much damage done to victims. I have worked in the Texas Corrections Department and Supervision with adults on probation. Many of these people with serious drug and alcohol problems were abused as children.

When I was growing up, the simple solutions they offered, the demanding regimen of meetings and service actually helped me. It not only gave me something to hope for, but it offered me a way to "earn" approval from God; a way to work off my ugly secret. But when I got married and moved away from my abusive family, this "religon" no longer helped, but began hurting. The simple solutions no longer worked

I concur with your comments about the religion. JWs tend to recruit many people with emotional problems; initially it seems amelioration to their pain but in time it becomes a crutch that only inflicts more pain.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit