What are you up to this summer?

by Xanthippe 47 Replies latest jw friends

• OzGirl
    OzGirl

Playing golf - still trying to putt straight. I can't hold my wrists straight so everything goes to the left.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Berengaria, I know, Scotland is so beautiful but it can be a little damp!

Sail Away wow you are having a really adventurous time. Enjoy your gambling and paranormal event. I have found those very interesting, now I'm not afraid of demunz. I agree it's another notch on the belt of leaving the cult. Have a great reunion too. Isn't it great traveling on your own? I have been to Greece and Italy on my own. At work they think I'm looking for a husband 😏 Just looking at mountains and oceans and buying handbags 😀

Enjoy tai chi camp, I have always wanted to try that. Family time is great you're right. Next weekend we go to an open air production of Jane Eyre at the castle in our town. The stars come out over the castle ruins at the end of the play, so lovely.

Oubliette I hope the conference was interesting. Enjoy your time with relatives at the end of July.

doofdaddy, oh that is a big operation but my MIL had it and it was a great success. She is pain free and walking well. All the best.

LisaRose Happy Anniversary for next month. I love your story, so romantic. Have a lovely trip.

maksutov you are so interesting. Tell us what you find this summer.

ssn587 the Philippines wow! Have a great time.

Punky I'm sorry. Lack of money is horrible, I've been there.

Stan another one going to the Philippines, enjoy seeing your lady.

OzGirl, wow enjoy your golf. So many interesting things that people are getting up to.

You have all been so kind to tell me about your lives when I was feeling very lonely. The big problem I have been left with after leaving the cult is I can't ask for help when I need it. But this time I gave it a go and you didn't let me down. Sometimes a short post here is a bigger than we realise, thank you.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I hope you enjoy your picnic with your daughter, Xanthippe. What is she studying?

As for me, I've recently graduated so I'm starting to sort my CV out and apply for internships. Plus, a former lecturer (now colleague, I guess) has invited my and another student to an annual staff conference.

I'll also be attending my award ceremony shortly - but I hope to have a holiday or visit relatives as well.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

I hope you enjoy some quality time with your daughter Xanthippe.

I'm going to explore the deep crevices and mountains of the places here in Japan which I haven't been to yet. Gonna get some beach time, onsen time, catch up on some books. I plan on hiking a volcano or two. Maybe I'll try to visit some bonsai masters here and pick their brains for new techniques to beautify my dwarf plants and treyscapes. Enjoy the summer everyone!

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

ozgirl: when you putt do you keep your eyes on the ball. Don't look

up until you hear the ball hit the bottom of the cup...Good luck..

• OzGirl
    OzGirl
    ozgirl: when you putt do you keep your eyes on the ball. Don't look
    up until you hear the ball hit the bottom of the cup...Good luck.. - James Mixon

Thanks for the advice, James. Yes I do keep my eyes on the ball. The other thing I have to do, is learn to relax my shoulders.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Xanthippe: Oubliette I hope the conference was interesting. Enjoy your time with relatives at the end of July.

Thanks, it's been really interesting and very informative. Today was Day 5 of 10. I've got one more week to go.

We are learning some really mind-opening ways to teach the fundamental concepts of chemistry in a way that make these obscure, abstract concepts more readily accessible to high school students. This is done by conducting a well thought out, progressive series of experiments carefully designed to help the average high schooler construct in their own minds a clear, understandable model of the fundamental particles of matter which comprise all things.

In one short week we've learned how to teach students to design and conduct laboratory experiments from which they can infer the size of particle, how density is discerned and measured in the various states of matter: solid, liquid and gas. We have spent considerable time developing this model so that students will understand all of the relationships between volume, pressure, temperature and the amount of a substance in a gas. Today we concluded by measuring two different substances as they underwent changes of phase. One was water changing from solid (ice) to liquid water to gaseous water vapor. The other was lauric acid changing from a liquid to a solid. By measuring with temperatures probes and charting it over time we could infer the energy transfer involved in both temperature changes and phase changes.

The really amazing thing is that by teaching these concepts this way students understand both WHAT is happening and HOW this applies in the real world. All the formulas are merely descriptions of how reality works.

It's pretty amazing actually!

I'll keep you posted about our East Coast trip!

Oubliette

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

LoveUniHateExams congratulations on graduating! My daughter did English, Maths and Physics for A Level and then even though she got all A or A * passes she changed her mind about doing a physics degree like her father and is doing English Literature instead! I hope you enjoy your graduation ceremony, staff conference and your holiday.

Bonsai I have always wanted to see a live volcano and I love walking in the mountains too. Beach time sounds good. Well I had to look up onsen but it sounds very relaxing. I love learning so much here about other cultures. You really do grow bonsai! That is fascinating and very creative. Hope you enjoy your summer too.

Oubliette you sound like a very dedicated and motivational teacher. Science teaching is so important for helping people to think clearly and for the national economy. We have had a real problem getting people into science in this country because so little funding goes into research that science graduates end up working in other countries.

My cousin studied engineering and worked at a national aeronautical company. She now lives and works in the US! Keep up the good work, the world needs excellent science teachers.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

On July 6th, I will embark on a journey with "Zed is Dead" from the southern Lake Michigan area across the northwest in a Jeep convertible through the Dakota Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone Park in order to spend 3 days in Lake Tahoe with Flipper's Apostafest, then head back and stop at Bryce Canyon in Utah.

It's only 9 days but it'll be the highlight of my summer.

I'm ready to go, just have to take the pile of stuff in my attic and put it on a cargo rack on the Jeep.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    OnTheWayOut, ooh Yellowstone, I'm very jealous! It's on my bucket list. Have a great trip and apostafest with Flipper and the gang.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit