Introducing.... me

by Gopher 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• Gopher
    Gopher

Hi everyone. I discovered this site about 3 weeks ago, and have been watching closely. I sure am impressed! For the most part, the people out here treat each other the way I had hoped those inside the “New World society” would. I would be honored to be allowed to share in the discussion board during the next few weeks, few months, or (who knows?) years to come. I have come to appreciate the loving spirit and lack of judgment that most folks out here display. And you can say “Jehovah” out here without getting any funny looks!

First, thank you Simon for putting together a site that is the perfect combination of good technology and the human touch. I know the numbers flocking here have been massive, but I hope this site retains its friendly “feel”.

My story, briefly: I had been a 3rd-generation Witness. I was given the appointment of Ministerial Servant and briefly pioneered. Since both my sister and I are out (we have no siblings), there will be no 4th-generation JW’s in this family, with the possible exception of my now 2-year old daughter. Her mother (from whom I am separated) is currently DF’d. Sadly, it seems she will seek reinstatement, despite seeing and expressing to me how unlovingly she had been treated.

In the last year, I have been disfellowshipped (due to harsh judgment against me—perhaps I didn’t look sad enough at the J.C. meeting), I have been crippled (due to a spinal-arthritis flare-up), and have had two surgeries (appendectomy and kidney stones), not to mention being separated with an upcoming divorce.

What has gotten me through? Interestingly enough, I believe Jehovah has. Without a mediating “organization”, I have seen His hand in a few matters. One thing is the kindness of people in general. I walk with a cane (although I am not really that old), and many people I have encountered in public have gone far out of their way to be helpful. (I was raised to believe people “outside” the organization in general had no good standards. Hah!)

Also, my sister (who DA’d herself many years ago) has been a great comfort. We have been re-united. She is practically the only family I have. Also, while reading a newspaper article on-line about the Society’s re-organization (back a few months ago), I came across Freeminds.org. That site helped turn me from a Society apologist into a realist very quickly!

Eventually I found you all here at Jehovahs-Witness.com. You have got me addicted! Everyday, I find myself reading the boards and becoming emotionally involved! Currently, I am mainly interested in seeing how people recover from the organization, and how they deal with Witness relatives, which I am afraid will soon become a much bigger issue once the 1st and 2nd generation learn I don’t intend to return to the Witness fold.

In conclusion, to those of you who made it to the bottom of this wordy post, thank you from the bottom of my heart!

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

Hey Gopher,

Welcome! It's great to have you here.

Eyes

• ISP
    ISP

Hi Gopher,

Good to see ya here! You can visit the sex Forum and post a bio, if you like. You will also learn more about some of those posting.

Regards

ISP

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Hi Gopher,
    And welcome to the group. Glad you decided to join in the conversation.
    So very sorry to hear of your woes! Sounds like you have a great attitude.
    TW

• Seven
    Seven

Welcome Gopher. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Seven

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Hi Gopher:

Sounds like you've had a tough year. I'm glad you're hanging in there. We share some circumstances, such as being 3rd gens, and about to go through the whole family reaction thing.

This board is a great place. Stick around and let us know how things are going!

Hold on! Wait a minute! He said "Jehovah", he said "Jehovah"!!...

Expatbrit, having a Monty Python moment.

• Gopher
    Gopher

To EYES, TW and 7: Thanks for the welcome.

To ISP: I thought about going to the "Sex" forum to introduce myself, but I am too repressed for that! That's the only reason I gave the "Making New Friends" forum a shot. It seems to have worked. But I'll pull the shades and view the "Sex" forum on your advice.

To Expatbrit: I've never seen "The Life of Brian". It was rated "R" (in the USA, nobody under 17 is allowed in to the theater without an adult...yeah, right!). But I think I'll rent it just for that one scene! Jehovah! Jehovah! Don't stone me!

To anyone else reading: Gopher is a hint at what state in the United States I am from. Any guesses?

• neyank
    neyank

Hi Gopher,
    Welcome aboard.
    Make yourself comfy.
    neyank

I think I posted to you on H20
    under yankee

• Gopher
    Gopher

Neyank,

Is that name short for "North-east Yankee", BTW?

Just to reply -- I never posted on H20. I just recently started cruising through these sites and so am truly a "newbie".

So if I took someone's name from H2O, it was by mistake.

Thanks for your post!

• mommy
    mommy

Welcome Gopher,
    So glad to see you found this forum, and I think it is the best out on the web. I am guessing you are from Kansas or Oklahoma, am I right? I traveled across country a few years ago. I hated Kansas! You can see the other end of the state as soon as you enter. I did get to go pretty fast on the highway though
    Welcome and sure hope you stick around.
    wendy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit