Whats an Apostate

by hippikon 16 Replies latest jw friends

• hippikon
    hippikon

Was Luther an Apostate, or Hus or Wykliffe or Calvin.?
    And what about the Lollards the Waldenses or the Anabaptists Were they all Apostate?
    Or were they just standing up for what they thought was right?
    Are they heroes or villains?
    It seems to me the society has made heroes out of such people and claimed them as there own yet expels and castigates those that display similar defiance.
    Coments please!

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

In it's basic sense apostasy means a changing of a former belief. That's it, so if some changes realigion, or a beilf they are an apostate. Apostate is not a bad thing, and in no way is the same as heresey. As I brought out in my trial!

The Elders were talking about Apostasy and read the above deff. from the elders book, so I said, "Well then all JW's who have kept up with present truth are guilty of apostasy!"!!! HAHAHAHAHAH

Just had to share

Venice

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

Apostasy as defined by websters ninth new collegiate dictionary
    1. renunciation of a relgious faith
    2. abandonment of a previous loyalty
    Wouldnt apostasy simply begin by renouncing a specific view point? and not the entire faith?
    Galileo claimed that the earth was round and went against the popular views of the church. he stuck to his views and was labeled a heretic inspite of having evidence. in his later life he was thrown in jail for standing his ground.
    the irony lays within the fact that psalm states the earth is round. so in reality what was he really going against? what was he thinking for actually providing evidence for the churches holy book? a round planet, a concept clarified had the church fathers read. sup
    Heretic as defined by the same source
    1. a dissenter from established church dogma
    2. one who dissents from an accepted belief or doctrine:nonconformist
    Dissent same source 2nd use of word
    1. difference of opinion:as (a) religious nonconformity, (b) a justice's nonconcurrence with a decision of the majority.

didnt jesus hold a difference of opinion and not conform (dissent) with the hipocracy of the church leaders of his time? when he healed on the sabbath, didnt he differ in opinion from the established doctrine, dissent from the dogma? arent these the makings of an apostate?
    wasnt the loyalty to the mosaic law abandoned after his death. no sacrifices and no sababbath observations etc.(as to not ramble) interesting how no one dare call him a heretic or an apostate.
    no offense to any please
    im just excersising the word play skills i acquired from 20 years in the borg.
    following the saviours footsteps
    CHUCK

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

hippikon i was so excited that i got carried away with this one, i didnot even acknowledge you nor thank you for starting this. so im back to do so thanks

• aChristian
    aChristian

: Galileo claimed that the earth was round and went against the popular views of the church.

I don't mean to be picky here. But for the sake of historical acuracy I don't believe Galileo ever quarelled with Church leaders over the shape of the earth. Rather he correctly maintained, contrary to the teachings of the Church and to the apparent teachings of the Bible, that the earth revolved around the sun and not vise-versa. Church leaders at the time correctly pointed out that the Bible seems to clearly say that the sun moves around the earth. Take, for instance, in Joshua where the Bible tells us of the time when "the sun stopped moving in the sky." (Joshua 10:13)

Of course, all Christians today maintain that Church leaders at the time simply misunderstood the Bible.

• hippikon
    hippikon

The intelligence level on this site impresses me. There are a lot of mad / kooky people in the “Truth” (mentally deficient at the least) and every congregation has at least one raving lunatic. My impression to date has been that a lot of “apostates” are on the lunatic fringe. I would be interested in how many just plain left the “truth”. How many were removed for wrongdoing and how many were kicked out for having differing points of view

• larc
    larc

hippikon,

I left because of intellect. I was raised as a Witness to respect learning e.g. John 17:3. Howvever, that spilled over into reading their history, which put an end to my belief. Then, I went to college and found out that there was big world of ideas out there, a far more richer world than I had ever dreamed of.

• neyank
    neyank

What's an apostate?
    Anyone who changes his or her mind about what they believe in.
    As Venice pointed out, apostasy is not in the same catagory as heresey.
    Jehovahs Witnesses that were once part of another religion are apostates.
    Anyone can be and is an apostate.
    Whether it be in the political field,scholastic field or religious field.
    I wonder how many JWs really know what the word apostate means?
    neyank

• trevor
    trevor

I'M AN APOSTATE!

I have two heads because it's a step further than just being two faced. My horns are sharp to gore the JWs that call. I live in darkness with the curtains always closed as I am allergic to light besides I am always naked and don't want to shock the post man with my non-stop orgies.

Since joining the Devil, I have slowly turned green started drinking blood. I still subscribe to The Watchtower magazine, as I prefer it to toilet paper. The neighbours have complained about my frequent barbecues but a sacrifice cooked in the electric oven is just not the same. The demons love it here and bring their own Budweiser and cigarettes. Apart from that I am totally normal except when there is a full moon and I turn into a wolf, which the wife loves.

Trevor

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Hippikon,
    First of all welcome to the board.
    I left the JW's for various reasons. I had a real problem with the application of John 13:35 within the org. Couldn't see it being carried out. As this is one of the main identifying marks of true religion, by the Society's own definition, that is what started my journey out. I da'ed in June of 2000.
    After leaving I found many inconsistencies which added to my other reasons.

What is an apostate?

Jesus was born, raised, and baptized as a Jew. He spent his whole life teaching and preaching a message which conflicted with the Jewish faith. This fits the definition of apostate.
    TW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit