Are you good enoughto attend?

by eyeslice 12 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Are you good enough to attend an International 2003 District Conventions?

Other threads have brought up the subject of the planned 2003 District Conventions ( http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=34494&site=3 ), but do you qualify to attend a convention in another land?

According to the official letter, no one is to make private travel arrangements but must go through the official channels. So where might your plans to attend get scuppered?

1. You must approach the Service Committee who will decide if you qualify. So, if your field service hours are a little low or you miss the odd meeting, it could well be, sorry brother immature you cannot go to this especially spiritually up building occasion where you would be really encouraged by the world-wide brotherhood .

2. Exemplary unbaptized children over the age of 15 years may attend. If it is the case then, that your kids are a little on the wild side, you are going to get, well brother failing family head, we dont so any reason why you and your wife cant go but little Johnny just isnt good enough to experience the fine association that might keep him on the spiritual rails.

3. If you are under 15 and not baptized (not sure about under 15s who are baptized) you are not allowed to attend any way. Somehow, I recall Jesus words at Matthew 19:14 Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

So, remember that although all assemblies are open to the public, free and no collections taken, you personally might not be good enough.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Yes, it's interesting to see how they've made it much harder to attend International Conventions these days.

In the past decade, I attended two ICs, and back then, the basic requirements were that you were a baptised publisher in good standing.

I do wonder if things have occurred at past ICs that indicated that the bros and sisters atttending weren't as "spiritual" as the elders believed. Maybe some problems came up, perhaps a bit of immoral conduct, who knows?

Anyway, although seeing other countries were fun, and you got to make new friends (that you lost contact with in due course anyway), the tours themselves were very strict, with an elder in control of each bus load. Like when we were heading into Las Vagas once, and our tour captain (an elder from Bethel) stood up and reminded us of the "trappings of sin" in this city, and not to be allured by the "worldly" entertainment available in Las Vagas.

Needless to say, most on the bus didn't take too much notice of him, and we all had fun taking in the sights and sounds of the city. Not to say we went gambling or whatever, but it is a great place to visit, and it'd be a great place to meet for an International Apostafest one day!

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Never was good enough to attend an IC.

How about the rules to attend an Apostofest? I'm sure I'd qualify

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Do you QUALIFY to spend YOUR OWN MONEY to travel to a foreign country and waste valuable VACATION TIME listening to boring convention talks you've already heard?

Why is it that their "privileges" always have you spending YOUR MONEY and YOUR TIME to do THEIR WORK? And then you have to QUALIFY to be in this group of elite fools and suckers? What a brilliant scam.

Path

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

The "Jews" are STILL making their "sacrifices."

Matt 9:13
    13 But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.'

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

An International Convention? An even BIGGER waste of time

Dismembered

• Prisca
    Prisca

They weren't a waste of time if you used them as opportunities to catch up on writing postcards

• minimus
    minimus

no

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

I went to an IC many years ago with my parents. I remember the elders meeting with us because, even though my parents were more than qualified, they had great concerns over me. My parents were fussing and fretting over the fact that I was holding them back from a great opportunity because of my unchristian attitude. In the end, we went. I enjoyed the trip but, I wonder if my parent's realized that it would be cheaper and hassle free if they had just booked a package trip with a travel agent and forgot about this IC arrangement to have a vacation. But then they'd have to interact with worldly people.....

• dsgal
    dsgal

No,I do not qualify to attend an IC but they are at my door at least once a month wanting me to come back to meetings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit