How strong were you in “The Truth?”

by John Aquila 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    I wasn't strong in the religion, but I still would have died rather than take blood. Even stranger, my ex husband would not take a blood transfusion when he had internal bleeding and almost died, even though he had been disfellowshipped for twenty-five years at the time. His hemoglobin was down to three which is basically not compatible with life. I was still a JW then and even I thought he was being stupid.
  • Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    We had a couple of times where we had to make a choice regarding blood. We didn't have it.
  • Twitch
    Twitch
    When you were still asleep in the Watchtower Organization and had no idea of TTATT. Not one bit.
    What would you have done if you were in a serious accident and all of a sudden you woke up in the emergency hospital room with all the brothers and sisters at your side and your spouse cheering you on to be faithful to Jehovah.
    Then the doctor comes up to you and tells you that you are about to go into surgery because there is no time to lose and the only way to live is to take a blood transfusion ?
    Would you have been willing to die and leave your family just to stay faithful to Jehovah? Or would you have succumbed to a lack of faith and taken the blood?
    Aren’t you glad you never had to deal with it?

Well, though not exactly the hypothetical question posed here, I'll share my somewhat related experience.

I was born in. When I was 10, I had an appendicitis attack and went from normalcy to excruciating pain within a couple hours. Off to the hospital we went. Examination, waiting, this room, that room, the IV, seriousness. But what I remember most vividly is the conversation with my parents and the doctor on what was happening and that I'm going into surgery. Then the doctor left and my parents told me I wouldn't need a blood transfusion. To be honest, I hadn't even thought of it. Sure I knew the stance on it and what I heard and read in the company policy guides but it really hit me in that room on that bed. I could live or die here and there's a conscious decision here that may decide the outcome. I'm powerless. I just want to live. And I recall thinking amidst the pain my parents telling me that I won't need a blood transfusion, a good thing. Like it should even be a thing I thought. Fast forward, this room, that room, the mask and thinking whilst counting, this could be it.

The surgery happened, I was fine. Life went on. I was 10. Much has happened since then. Time does heal.

Strange thing looking back, so long ago.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

My strength was tested when my 4 years old daughter became ill, and the Doctor

told me she may have Sickle cell anemia. I thought screw this if she needs blood,

blood she will get. My wife called the Elders to come and talk with me, she was willing

to let our daughter die. We had only been in the borg 2-3 years.

• fiddler
    fiddler

I went through 4 full term pregnancies, first a C-section and also a miscarriage sandwiched between child 3 and 4. With the C-section I did state the no blood thing but don't remember signing anything. I think I left it to my husband and TBH, I am not sure what he actually would have done. I did lose a lot of blood but after the baby was out I went out. What happened while I slept I don't know and at the time I chose the don't ask, don't tell route. I was just glad to be alive.

I considered myself a 'good' witness but this was a subject I didn't want to think about the reality of...picture ostrich with head in sand. I think that is true for a lot of witnesses. They just don't like to think about the reality of needing a blood transfusion and really, most never face it. I do remember feeling relieved knowing that for my children the state would most likely take the decision out of my hands with a court order. I have carried the JW prohibition of blood with me and still feel I would only take a transfusion in an emergency but as has been pointed out, due to HIV blood transfusion is generally used only during emergencies. I am working on ridding my mind of the residual JW crap still knocking about in my head.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

LisaRose

I wasn't strong in the religion, but I still would have died rather than take blood.

I would have died also Lisa

Twitch

When I was 10, I had an appendicitis attack and went from normalcy to excruciating pain within a couple hours. Off to the hospital we went I'm powerless. I just want to live.

We forget how powerless children are in the Borg Twitch.

James Mixon

My strength was tested when my 4 years old daughter became ill, and the Doctor

told me she may have Sickle cell anemia. I thought screw this if she needs blood,

blood she will get. My wife called the Elders to come and talk with me, she was willing

to let our daughter die.

James, all Jw parents have no idea the danger they put their children through because of being in the WT organization

fiddler

I considered myself a 'good' witness but this was a subject I didn't want to think about the reality of...picture ostrich with head in sand. I think that is true for a lot of witnesses. They just don't like to think about the reality of needing a blood transfusion and really, most never face it.

You’re right fiddler, witnesses don’t think about the reality of needing a transfusion until it happens and then it’s to late

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit