Does this make me a terrible person

by Clambake 42 Replies latest jw experiences

• aintenoughwiskey
    aintenoughwiskey
    Millions of people get up every day and help others with no expectations what so ever. They are called volunteers, neighbors, citizens. Your frustration with the Borg comes through loud and clear. You already knew the answer before you asked the question! Was the thought wrong? I would say no. We all have thoughts we would never act on. Was vocalizing or in this case putting the thought down in writing wrong? No, we all seek feedback on occasion. Not wanting some unscrupulous person to manipulate this lady was a decent thought. The suggestion that you make a case to this lady for you and your wife's gain, is quite telling, and calls into question your genuine concern for this lady. It would be a 100% sleazy move!
  • millie210
    millie210
    steve210 hours agoMillie, I so get where you are coming from. I could not fault your generous capacity for empathizing with and speaking kindly about Clambake's situation.
    At the same time, I suspect your kind words were received by Clambake as endorsing his dysregulated sentiments. It is virtually always helpful to get inside someone's shoes and see the world from their view and take a more compassionate view. But.....
    Equally, you do not want your empathy to obscure justified concern over a viewpoint that seeks to justify what would amount to abuse of an elderly and vulnerable lady - now there's a lady who deserves your generosity of empathy (and she probably doesn't have a clue what is going through Clambake's mind)!
    The urge to empathize needs to be balanced against the need to give a very clear response to Clambake's opening question.

Points well taken Steve.

I guess we will have to hope that all our thoughts have given Clambake a lot to think about. I hope my true answer wasnt missed by anyone.

My answer to clambake is:

Do whatever you would do if she had NO money. (even if it is for your wifes sake)

Dont link your justifiable dislike of JWs to this situation

As for his taking advantage of the older lady - I think his wife is regulating all things there.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I think it's fairly normal to think about the money, but it would be terrible according to your wife for her to carry through on your thought. There ya go. Let your wife be her friend with no souring of the friendship late in this woman's life.

If it were me, I would re-approach the wife and kindly suggest that she takes care of her family- (nephew and niece) and remind the woman that half of such a "small" amount doesn't go as far as you might think nowadays, but it could make a difference in their lives to have it.

In other words, I would hint that splitting it with the WTS wouldn't really be a good idea.

But if your wife wants to say nothing at all, that's really up to her. End of story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit