College For Dubbies

by Valis 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis

Six, actually they do have a program for us elderly folks like us. They have a night school program geared to working individuals and do offer scholarships. It really depends on what you want to study. If you wanted to get a full ride, your transcript better be immaculate...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• larc
    larc

Valis, your idea of putting together a book for xJWs regarding college is a noble one. I would suggest two chapters, one on that gives advice to older students starting out, and one with success stories from xJWs who did it. On this latter subject I started a thread with the word "education" in it that had a lot of heart warming stories. One minor point, on your answers to questions. You probably should describe the difference between semesters and quarters and the credit differences to graduate.

• recoveringexjw
    recoveringexjw

i believe that tuition for california residents at a community6 college is taken care of by the state as l,ong as you are a native californian. but i could be wrong at least it was t5hat way 15 yrs agop when i lived in sacramento.although the student has do pay for ther own books.

• Valis
    Valis

You probably should describe the difference between semesters and quarters and the credit differences to graduate.

This can be confusing for many but here goes. Many colleges divide a year's woth of semesters into 4 sections, with each class earning the same amount of credit, but the a much more compact and intense regimen of study. Also too, some classes also are divided, requiring more than one quarter to successfully complete them. With each quarter parceling out one or two credit at a time for said class.The norm though, is two semesters per year, plus summer semesters. Its easier to manage that way as there are so many holidays that it makes dividing semesters into quarters a pain. Mostly because instruction hours are lost and continuity is lost. Larc, if i didn't say that right please feel free to correct me.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

A suggestion for those with children. My daughter is 14 and she has already taken the ACT's twice. And she will take them again this year. Kids can take them- it not only helps them with lots of things like self-esteem and their current studies- but it also gets them prepared when it actually means something. They won't be so intimidated by the test and will be very familiar with the types of questions etc.

XW

• razorMind
    razorMind

Don't have much to say, but.....

THANK YOU THANK YOU to whoever asked the questions about credit hours, semesters, and such.

• joeshmoe
    joeshmoe

What's the story with work-study programs. Are they available at the community college level, or just a major college thing?

• Farkel
    Farkel

Valis,

:I might not have all your answers, but I'll try my best.

Provide us with some solid evidence that a college education at a good University is as good an education as four years breaking your back lifting crates at Bethel and getting yelled at the whole time for masturbating in your spare time!

THAT'S what I'd like to know!

Farkel

• LDH
    LDH

(((((((((((((VALIS)))))))))))))

Don't let Farkel bug you. He's just mad he used up his allotment of tissues at Bethel every month.

Lisa

• Farkel
    Farkel

LDH,

: He's just mad he used up his allotment of tissues at Bethel every month.

You mean all FOUR of them they gave each month?

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit