College For Dubbies

by Valis 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis

My colleague sixofnine suggested the other day that I write a book for XJWs about going and getting into college. I really like the idea and thought what I would do is have an ask and answer thread about college to give me some ideas about what it is folks might want to know. So ask away and I'll do my best to answer your questions. I might add that I have worked on a college campus for nearly 10 years now in many positions from Admissions to Counseling to Instruction and Tech Support. I might not have all your answers, but I'll try my best. I also plan to ask several counselors, fin aid people, teachers and registrars for thier advice as well. Then will compile it all online for your viewing pleasure and we're looking for a way to publish it and have the proceeds go here and perhaps to silentlambs.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer of the "get yo ass to class" class

• WildTurkey
    WildTurkey

Hey Valis, I hear they make you get your hair cut before you go to college, is this true?

Would like to know the average cost of going.

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

The angels must have guided you to start this post.

I have several questions:

What is a semester hour?

What is a course credit?

What is the amount of "credits" or "hours" needed to say get a bachelor's degree?

How does a student benefit by attending a "Junior" College as opposed to one that is not considered a "Junior College?

Is it true that the SAT is not a required part of the admissions process anymore?

OK That's it Valis. I look forward to hearing from YOU.

YoursChelbie

• Xander
    Xander
    I really like the idea and thought what I would do is have an ask and answer thread about college to give me some ideas about what it is folks might want to know

???

Don't really know what kind of questions people COULD have. It's like school. That you pay for. (Unless you are still in high school - then you can go free for a few years. At least in Ohio).

I mean, community colleges, at least, go out of their way to make themselves 'friendly' to the community - with frequent community activities, orientation before classes begin, etc.

• Xander
    Xander

Okay, now I feel stupid for making assumptions.

@ me

Anyway - Valis, do you know if most states have a PSEO (Post Secondary Enrollment Option) program for high school students?

In Ohio, the state will pay for high school juniors and seniors to go to college instead of high school as long as they maintain a certain GPA (3.0, IIRC) and take a few specified classes at each college to compensate for the classes they are missing in high school.

I always thought this was a good idea, as vocational school has a similar policy.

In effect, without even a LITTLE effort, any Ohio kid should graduate high school with: High School Diploma, Vocation Certificate, Associates Degree. All payed for by the state.

• Valis
    Valis

WT...you have no worries about the hair huh? *L* It really depends on if you go to a 4 year or a community college, but here are some statistice you might consider...example. For a semester at my community college for lets say 15 hours plus books comes in at under $1000 a semester, where as a school like SMU a semester runs about $18,000 and that's not including room and board.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

The angels must have guided you to start this post.

Precisely.

This is an awesome idea, Valis! lol. I'll ck in with some questions and ideas laters.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Actually, Chelbie asked several questions that I was going to propose to you Valis. By the time we were seniors, it seemed all my worldly compadres knew all about credits and hours and bachelors and masters and..and...and...stuff. I just nodded as if I understood.

Do you think SMU would design a full ride (look at how I throw down college speak like a wordly person!) scholarship just for dubbies over 30?

• Valis
    Valis

Hey Yours...

What is a semester hour?

a semster hour is the measure of time that you spend in and doing the classwork..for instance, if you are taking a class for three credits you spend about that much time in the classroom, unless of course you are taking a telecourse or an online one.

What is a course credit?

each class is worth a number of credits..example Freshman English is considered a 3 hour or 3 credit class and Biology is considered a 4 hour course becuase it requires additional lab time.

What is the amount of "credits" or "hours" needed to say get a bachelor's degree?

It varies among different schools, but generall its right at 120 transferable college credits.

How does a student benefit by attending a "Junior" College as opposed to one that is not considered a "Junior College?

Usually they are the way to jump into the world of college. Cheaper, local and for the most part, almost all of the classes you take at a Junior College will transfer to a 4 year university. Junior colleges must have the same accreditation as 4 year colleges plus there is a general agreement among all colleges to accept one another's credits.

s it true that the SAT is not a required part of the admissions process anymore?

The SAT may be a requirement for some colleges and specific programs, but not in general. Texas has the TASP test that students must pass all sections
    before they can take classes. If you fail any portion you must be enrolled in remedial courses to take other courses. One exemption from this rule might be thet you passed the SAT, or you took classes prior to the TASP being implemented. It varies from state to state, but all colleges have assessment tests to properly place you in the appropriate classes.

Let me know if I haven't answered your questions satisfactorily.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Valis
    Valis
    Anyway - Valis, do you know if most states have a PSEO (Post Secondary Enrollment Option) program for high school students?

This has always been one of the slower growing movements among states, but yes most do, but the student is still required to pass the same assessments as other students.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit