Use the Name of God in Vain?

by patio34 14 Replies latest jw friends

• patio34
    patio34

Hi all,

I hope you're having a great Tuesday! I was thinking that every once in a while I say something shocking (to an XJW), like "Jesus H. Christ!" (Please pardon me, religious XJWs.) But I would never say "Jehovah" like that. Just in case he's not a mythical figure! At any rate, he'd be out to get me. How about you?

A 2nd thought is that some JW neighbors of mine greeted me when I walked by their house on Sunday afternoon. The husband said "We really miss you" meaning at meetings I presume and the wife said something like "We always enjoyed your comments." You know the typical JW greetings. But a new thing for me is that I didn't offer any explanations nor excuses why. I simply said "That's nice of you to say" and went on my merry way. I think I've made some progress as I used to tell them why (bogus excuses), but now it's not their business and I refused to be put on the defensive by them.

Pat

• The Devil
    The Devil

I encourage the use of gods name in vain!

Lucifer

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

I use foul language all the time! But I honestly try not to use the Lords name in Vain. Hey, its an easy commandment not to break :) since Im breaking the rest of them.....

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I substitute with "JUDAS PRIEST"!

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Devil, Crazy & Double,

I meant specifically the name Jehovah , the Lord meaning Jehovah in particular, not Jesus.

Pat

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Well Pat, I view that Jesus is the Lord so either way it would be in Vain.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Sorry, never been a DUB....somehow reaching for the word "Jehovah" never comes to mind when I need to vent.

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

Isn't it wonderful to not feel "Obligated" to give excuses for not attending the meetings?

I also try not to use the name "Jehovah" as an expletive.

That's just my personal choice, of course.

When I meet someone from my old KH, I just smile and greet them as usual. There's not much foundation in the dialogue for them to question anything about my past Dubness.

YC

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

Hi Patio!

I have so many other choice profanities that work for me - have never found myself saying "JHChrist" or "jesus!" - it doesn't bother me to hear it though, unless my 15 year old son says it. Even then, it's more of a "mother worrying about her kid insulting someone" kinda thing...

What you said here, however, strikes me as a significant achievement

But a new thing for me is that I didn't offer any explanations nor excuses why. I simply said "That's nice of you to say" and went on my merry way. I think I've made some progress as I used to tell them why (bogus excuses), but now it's not their business and I refused to be put on the defensive by them.

I have moved to a new place where no jw's know me, so I get to avoid those difficult encounters. The few times I DID have to politely endure the platitudes and predictable remarks from a former borg acquaintance, I was left quite shaken. --->There you are, having to talk to people who used to be your so-called "family", having to pretend that all's just fine and whatever, when you KNOW that they're thinking you are a freak, currently worshiping satan, AND that they will discuss at great length - while shaking their heads over the shame of it - the certain demise of your sorry ass as soon as you are out of hearing range....

It was so cool for me to read how you sailed through a potentially difficult encounter; you apparently have come to terms with what you stand for. Big applause here from laura, who would probably still wimp out if she had jw neighbors (or become very confrontational!)

My first husband (many clearances under his belt) taught me an important lesson: the Need to Know policy. In your case, such came to mind: the less information you provide them with, the less there is for them to misinterpret, discuss at your expense, and speculate about.... and less need for you to feel obligated to be polite, accommodating, or stifled.

Good going, and thanks for the example!!!!

Take care, laura

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

Which God?

I'll Jesus H. Christ all time along with Jehovah you son of a bitch! I say that so I don't offend Shiva or Ganesh. It also keeps me in good with Zuess and Buddha.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit