I'm curious

by teejay 18 Replies latest jw friends

• logical
    logical

The Jehovah's Witness believe three inportant things, that certainly point toward them as being modern day Israel:

They are:

1 - Called by God's own name, as were Biblical Israel
    2 - Monothestic, or a one God concpt, just like the Biblical Israelites
    3 - Iconoclastic, or no images used in worship, again, like natural Israel

JW's certainly have a framework of the truth (Romans 2:20)

Edited by - logical on 18 March 2001 6:7:51

• Gopher
    Gopher

Hi Teejay! Great topic!

To Logical: Up until very recently, I would defend / explain the Society's position on anything, until I was roughly treated by its representatives. I still believe some of its basic tenets, such as no Trinity and no Immortal Soul. I am, in fact, grateful for those elements of truth.

However, there are other religions who share some elements of Witness teaching, I am sure you would agree.

To wit, you said JW's are iconoclastic. If I am not mistaken, there are several non-Catholic religions who also do not use images in their worship, like JW's don't.

You also said that JW's are monotheistic, as well the true religion should be. I believe the Unitarians (by their very name) believe in one and only one Creator. So do the Moslems.

Finally, your first point was that JW's are called by God's name, which as I recall was from Isaiah 43. That was a point that had me convinced JW's could be the ONLY religion that had truth. However, anyone can appropriate a title to themselves. Surely, you do not believe that all religions who call themselves "Christian" surely reflect the spirit of Christ? So, any group can take a name and use it to suit their purpose. In my hometown, can you believe there is even a "Jehovah Lutheran" church? I am not kidding. The church's largest benefactor loves the name Jehovah, and would withdraw his support if they took God's name off of their church.

Although I believe many, perhaps most of the Bible-based teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses, I believe that by calling themselves by God's own name, they take on a HUGE responsibility. For example, 1 John 4 says "God is love". If JW's truly represented Jehovah, they would re-visit or eliminate their practice of shunning family members. Please read Esmeralda's recent post about "A Child's Innocent Question". Also, I am speaking from personal experience.

Lastly, you cited Romans 2:20 about the "framework" of knowledge, as that verse says. In context, Paul was chiding the Judaizers in the Roman congregation. In the very next verse, he tells them -- in effect -- "If you have so much knowledge, why don't you practice what you preach?" See verse 24, where he summarizes his argument, "For the name of God is being blasphemed on account of YOU people among the nations, just as it is written."

So the context of the "framework of knowledge" shows that knowledge without a proper attitude or right works to back it up can actually lead to God's frown of disapproval.

Thanks for listening. Are my thoughts at least reasonable?

• normie67
    normie67

This is my thoughts...........

1. Fulfilling the Bible command to Preach and Teach (Matt. 24:14, Matt 28:19,20)

2. Worldwide United Brotherhood

3. The only group extolling God's name.

thats my thoughts.....

• logical
    logical

Gopher

You are so correct in saying that carrying Jehovah's name lays an extremely heavy responibility on those carrying it.

Lastly, you cited Romans 2:20 about the "framework" of knowledge, as that verse says. In context, Paul was chiding the Judaizers in the Roman congregation. In the very next verse, he tells them -- in effect -- "If you have so much knowledge, why don't you practice what you preach?" See verse 24, where he summarizes his argument, "For the name of God is being blasphemed on account of YOU people among the nations, just as it is written."

So the context of the "framework of knowledge" shows that knowledge without a proper attitude or right works to back it up can actually lead to God's frown of disapproval

That is the way I see things.

Your thoughts are very reasonable. Nice to see someone who is willing to discuss sensibly.

Keep the faith in Jehovah,

Take care

• teejay
    teejay

logical,

Jehovah's Witness believe three things that point toward them as being modern day Israel: 1 - Called by God's own name; 2 - Monothestic; 3 - Iconoclastic

thank you for your response, but perhaps i could have worded the original question a little better. what i was wondering of loyal, believing JWs is: what teachings, beliefs, doctrines, etc UNIQUE TO JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES AND FOUND NOWHERE ELSE moves you to the conclusion that they and they alone are the spokespersons for God Almighty.

thanks.

Edited by - teejay on 18 March 2001 13:24:11

• COMF
    COMF
    what three things about the Watchtower Society and/or it's teachings convinces you beyond any doubt that Jehovah's Witnesses has the truth about the bible

1. They discourage independent bible study, stating in simultaneously coddling and intimidating terms that they have scholars guided by holy spirit to do the studying for you, so that all you have to study is what those scholars say.

2. They shut out all exterior commentary on the bible and expell from their congregations any who entertain ideas other than the official WBTS teachings.

3. The admonition to keep on testing whether you are in the truth" stops at baptism, replaced by an admonition to "avoid independent thinking" and "wait on Jehovah" for resolution of inconsistencies.

These three things about the Watchtower Society convince me beyond any doubt that they do, in fact, know the truth about the bible.

COMF

• openminded
    openminded

Hey Gopher, did you ever live in the Minneapolis area. I did as a kid and your name sound familiar.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Closed circuit to open-minded: Welcome to the discussion board!

Yes, I am still in the Twin Cities area. Please read my post which is currently at the top of the "Meet New Friends" forum here. Then please send me an e-mail.

Agape (can I say that without sounding too JW-ish?), Gopher

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Hmmmm....okay, here goes.

1. You will know them by the love they have amongst themselves. Oh, wait....that's not right, there's no evidence of this love in most congregations...oh, uh....well...continue onward.

2. They espouse an unchanging truth. Well, except for the "new light, old light, renewed new light, refurbished old light" thingie. Ah...close enough.

3. They are being blessed by Jehovah by having ever-increasing numbers of the faithful joining the flock. Um, wait, they are being blessed by Jehovah because the numbers are falling and the unfaithful are being weeded out. Or, um, well people are falling away because of false prophecies (ack, what am I saying!! The GB isn't a prophet except when they predict something....but that's not prophecy....oh, but we MUST believe it...oh....I am SO confused).

Sorry, I guess I can't think of anything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit