So What's Over Your Mantelpiece Then?

by Englishman 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

Great Lew. I love them both.

Here is one on my wall, in the entry. It is of my husband's father's family. The youngest boy is my late father in law. It was taken about 1910. All the men were redheads. Big surprise, eh?

Edited by - mulan on 11 August 2002 12:1:55

• Simon
    Simon

We have a picture / sketch that I drew ages ago. If I remember I will post a pic of it when I get home.

• wasasister
    wasasister

this hangs over my fireplace. I'll see if I can find a close-up.

The Sea Hath Its Pearls, by W. H. Margetson

She's me.

Edited by - wasasister on 11 August 2002 12:29:56

Edited by - wasasister on 11 August 2002 12:39:55

• somebody
    somebody

Here is a huge art piece I'd have hanging over my mantlepiece ( shelf over my fireplace) if I had a one.

peace,

somebody

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

A giant moose head, oh wait no, that's what's haninging over my imaginary mantle piece in my imaginary home...I forget...

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Here's another one I have hanging at the end of the hallway in my house;

I picked this up on my first trip home from Vietnam during a short layover in Japan. My first wife gave it to a friend of hers after I got out of the Army, but after we split, I was able to get it back.

Lew W

Edited by - DakotaRed on 11 August 2002 13:10:41

• onacruse
    onacruse

I have a mantlepiece: it's also called a toupee.

Out of consideration to you all, I will not post the pic! hehe

• somebody
    somebody

Englishman,

I feel like I should run for cover because I like that last picture you inseerted in the post. The one that you said "or this one" to.

I think it's beautiful. Maybe not a piece of art I'd hang over my mantle, but something I think is beautiful to my eyes. And thought about COMF when I saw it. He sees what beauty as I see it.

• COMF
    COMF

Hi, Somebody! I'm touched by your mention of me in connection with classical art. Yes, I do enjoy it a lot. I'm going to post a picture of my mantel if I get permission (you'll understand if/when you see the picture).

That third picture Eman posted is "Birth of Venus" by Sandro Botticelli. When it comes to that subject, I'm more drawn to the "Birth of Venus" by Alexandre Cabanel. This partly a matter of style, and partly due to my inherent preference for women of classical size.

William A. Bouguereau also did a fine job with this subject. This one won't be hanging over my mantel, but I could certainly see it hanging in the bath, or better yet, in a hot tub area (properly protected from the elements, of course).

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

I don't have a mantle either, but I have works by my friend bear.

http://www.bearink.net

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit