Coming Out; A Question.

by Englishman 28 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

My wife is a very private person, and objects to personal information I post. Of course, she has more to loose than I do, as her sister and father are faithful Witnesses. I am more willing to state who I am, because I am not concerned about any consequences of doing so. I have stated my name on two posts, and my picture is shown on the southeast Michigan apostofest thread. Oh, by the way, Hillary, I kept all my cloths on during the photo opportunity, and nary a tatto can be found on me. Now, that is Midwest conservatism for you.

• zev
    zev

pomegranate

Do you work many weekends?? Or was that an odd event???

i work like every third weekend.

just let me know when it is....my e-mail is open. so is gwen's. (somebody)

we love meeting local ex-jw's. even went to toronto thiis year to not so local, heh.

looking forward to meeting y'all.

• termite 35
    termite 35

Hi Eman;

It was quite diffficult to decide to have my pic. posted as I was determined to stay anomymous ; but it was only after the BBQ that I decided to say 'Sod them' and let my pic be posted.

I'm sure some I know are lurking here- everyone knows me by my hair- If they confront me about being here ; i'll know where they've been , won't I ?!

But at least then i'll know who would like some help or support.I've had one very strange conversation already-which I am following up on this week.

At first I did'nt want to be recognised as being considered spiritually weak and speaking of the UN and Paedophile issues to all and sundry was my only crime.But I came to realise that they can only have authority over your life if you allow them to.I have no family in, which may have affected my judgement.I have been back and deleted some posts that convey too much personnal info though; not identifying info- just personnal stuff that you do sometimes when you feel the need to-and at least on Simons site you're in control in that regard.

The Panorama programme made me realise that the only way to rid the WTBS of their most serious problems is for people to show that they arn't afraid of the system that's in place at the moment.It's the psycological hold they have over their members that makes them so dangerous. The paedophile problem is made so much worse, and even possible due to the secrecy and the fear of speaking out or identifying your self with a problem within the cong.When I think of all the times I kept quiet as I was afraid of what they would think of me- I wish I could turn the clock back.

When the problems I had with the elder who sexually harrassed women and stole from my husband were being 'sorted out'(ha ha)I was asked not to mention it in front of others as it may STUMBLE them or cause divisions in the cong and I did'nt- well, not to many anyway(!) Now I'll tell all who ask.

So no; I don't mind my pic being posted- it's very liberating and lets people who visit see that we don't have horns and are happy!

• Englishman
    Englishman

Good for you, Termite, this is one fella who applauds your stance.

BTW, The John Grisham book was excellent, thank you.

Englishman.

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

Larc, tell the truth!

Hillary, Larc had to borrow a shirt from a guy at the next table for the pictures. Who knew he was such an exhibitionist?

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

Since I posted to this thread, I guess I should answer the question. I don't think revealing one's identity is an essential part of one's departure. As has been mentioned already, some people are just very private people.

But as a newly "out" person, I'd say it can be a part of our personal growth. I've also noticed that people who have a profile picture up, even if it's not a picture of them, tend to be (or at least are perceived to be) more ensconced in the community.

Hmmm

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

hillary_step,

admit that I am rather puzzled as to why some of the men who 'thumbnail' themselves on this board see the need to remove their clothes before they photograph themselves. Are they proud of their bodies or is the office a little hot?.....lol

One, it's one more sign of a "who cares who knows I'm here?" attitude toward the borg.

Two, what's shameful about the human body? I can just imagine some idiot fundamentalist (she's 50+, dumpy, and built like a fireplug in my vision) telling God to His face on Judgement Day that His creation (parts of it anyway) is obscene or Adam and Eve were indecent. Had they not sinned we'd all be naked. <sigh> And I would've looked more like Hulk Hogan and less like Winnie the Pooh! Such is fate!

BTW, it's a guess whether or not we guys are naked in them.

Seriously, does it bother anyone here? I've yet to see any actual objections. I'll change it if it does. I see Hillary's comment as just that--a comment.

• termite 35
    termite 35

You're VERY welcome Eman-i'm glad you enjoyed 'it ' as much as I enjoyed your company!

• larc
    larc

Hmmm, thank you for letting my borrow some of your cloths. They fit nicely.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit