NWT. Question

by searcher 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• searcher
    searcher

onacruse.

Thanks for the link.

The trouble with the divine name is that no-one now knows the vowels that were originaly used so this leaves the problem of re-inserting, eg.

JEHOVAH

YEHOVAH

YAHWEH

JAHWEH etc.

Out of all the possible combinations possible, (about 14 i think), how can anyone say that they have the right one? The 'research dept.' must have used a ouija board or something.

Does'nt make any kind of sense to me.

searcher

• Truth2Me
    Truth2Me

Bleep, I hear you.

However, this is an ethical and spiritual dilema to me- because evening thinking a thought, that is not in harmony with what the Society teaches is considered apostacy, and since I no longer believe that the NTW is what is claims to be, a more accurate, modern translation of God's Word how can I support something for which my conscience sincerely believes is not what it claims to be? There are a number of things that pose an ethical dilema for me such as this pertaining to the Society. You are free to live as your conscience ditates and so am I. I loved my time "in the Truth" as it is called, but I learned over time that there was an untold "truth about The Truth" that I cannot deny. Is it right to go against ones Bible based, God fearing consciense? I will have to answer for my choices to Jehovah, and I feel that "I know too much" to pretend that I agree with beliefs or teachings that I sincerely feel are not right.

Truth2Me

• ISP
    ISP

Truth2Me......I think its very hard to consider going back to the Org. I think the WTS is likely to get more paranoid and try to exercise more control as time goes by. Either way its followers will not find it easy if they are the 'thinking' kind.

ISP

• Truth2Me
    Truth2Me

ISP,

Yeah, I know, and from what I have learned about high-control groups, it's gonna get worse.

But, I struggle within. He's a little background on my reality. I've never been close with my abusive fleshly family...so when JWs first came to my door I embraced the opportunately of a free home Bible study and I embraced them as my new family. I'm a single, lonely gal, with only a few close friends, so when I went into the Org I rejected the few friends I had, and dove in to "The Truth." I loved it, but I was very very lonely, because there wasn't anyone my age to befriend who was "good association"....it was very hard for me. I was just as socially isolated in the Org as I was before and as I am now, outside the Org.

I think on a higher level then most folks...so I can't stand that immature, shallow mentality that I hear at work or that I heard from almost everyone back in high school...all some people talk about is getting drunk and going to bars or clubs...yuck, that is not my thing. So, I go to work, and I come home. That's just about it. I am socially isolated. I haven't left my apartment all weekend because I have no one to go do stuff with. I think that if I were to get reinstated then I would have direction, purpose and friends again. I would get back the few friends I had. But, it would be a tough price to pay...because I would not be true to myself, since I know "the truth about The Truth."

I desprately want to find others that I can connect with on a deeper level in person, but I don't see how that's gonna happen. I feel like sharing on this website is somehow helpful, makes me feel less isolated. I've been praying about it, for more friends. I'll see what God does, he always responds.

Truth2Me

• RR
    RR

Actually, there are several groups who use the New World Translation.

According to the Enclycopedia of American Religions, [4th Edition] "The Fundamental Brethren" Church, a group founded in 1961, and of an offshoot of "Church of the Brethren" use the NWT.

Edited by - RR on 11 August 2002 18:40:23

• onacruse
    onacruse

Searcher: re the pronunciation of the Biblical name for God, it is well-documented that "Jehovah" is a hybrid form. For example, this excerpt from Britannica Encyclopedia 2002:

"The Masoretes, who from about the 6th to the 10th century worked to reproduce the original text of the Hebrew Bible, replaced the vowels of the name YHWH with the vowel signs of the Hebrew words Adonai or Elohim. Thus, the artificial name Jehovah (YeHoWaH) came into being. Although Christian scholars after the Renaissance and Reformation periods used the term Jehovah for YHWH, in the 19th and 20th centuries biblical scholars again began to use the form Yahweh. Early Christian writers, such as Clement of Alexandria in the 2nd century, had used a form like Yahweh, and this pronunciation of the tetragrammaton was never really lost. Other Greek transcriptions also indicated that YHWH should be pronounced Yahweh."

Even the WTS admits that "Jehovah" is not the most accurate rendering, but they defer to "common usage" as justification for their continued employment of that form of the Name.

Truth2Me: I relate very deeply to your ambivalence about rejoining the Society. Born in '52, baptized in '62, Bethel in '69, I was first disfellowshipped in 1979 (part of the post-75ers). Reinstated in '81 because I missed my family and friends (each and every one JWs). I swallowed my reservations and doubts, and for a while it seemed to work. Studied Greek, Hebrew and Latin, theoretical physics, sociology, philosophy, comparative religions, etc, etc. Lost myself in my own little world. I never really developed any social skills, and am still very much a loner. Df'd again in '00, just couldn't take the self-doubts any more. I am just now beginning to find people I can relate to, here on this board.

It is, of course, your choice. But, as ISP stated "...its very hard to consider going back to the Org." My only advice would be that you continue to keep your eyes VERY wide open.

Good luck to ya!

Craig

edit to add: RR, that is VERY interesting! I was not aware that anyone else used the NWT. Thanks!

Edited by - onacruse on 11 August 2002 17:25:56

• Sangdigger
    Sangdigger

Did anybody realize that the KJV is the only Bible without a "copyright"?

• onacruse
    onacruse

Sangdigger: Yet another thing I'd forgotten that I'd forgotten (old age is catching up with me, I guess).

Of course, you realize that the KJV isn't copyrighted because it is the only version of the Bible that was directly inspired by God? And even the copyright office has to show some respect when it comes to God. hehe

Craig

edited for PS: Sang, I just checked my library, and I have a copy of the Concordant Literal New Testament (Concordant Publishing Concern, 1983). It does not have a copyright. Perhaps there are other limited circulation non-copyrighted translations and versions?

Edited by - onacruse on 12 August 2002 3:3:36

• searcher
    searcher

onacruse

Even the WTS admits that "Jehovah" is not the most accurate rendering, but they defer to "common usage" as justification for their continued employment of that form of the Name.

But they do'nt defer to "common usage" of "Cross"etc.

Bit of a double standard there Hmm?

searcher.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Searcher: Double standard, indeed. That's one of the inconsistencies of WTS thinking that really gets to me. If they want to "go it on their own," then they should eschew any pretense of substantiating their theology by referencing "worldy" authorities. Just be up front and say "We think these other guys are idiots, here's the truth according to us." Or, if they want to look all scholarly by quoting nonJW sources, then they should abide by the preponderance of evidence that those other sources provide.

The way the WTS employs the "pick and choose" approach is undisciplined and unprofessional.

Craig

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit