NWT. Question

by searcher 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• searcher
    searcher

The NWT is a trnslation of the bible.(JW)

The JW's believe that something is only true if there are two witnesses.

The question is... Why do the JW's belive that the NWT is a 'true translation' when there is only one witness to it. (ie. they are the only one's to use it)?

searcher.

• J_Dubble_Agent_007
    J_Dubble_Agent_007

Thats because they can!

• musky
    musky

searcher, I once wondered why we don't know who are the writers of the NWT. Was told these individuals do not want any credit for the translation. It seems to me that they are also avoiding any scrutiny. Other translations allow there writers to be investigated as to their credentials.

Anyway, I think at least Fred Franz was a part of this committee. What education does he have?

At a slide presentation on a Sunday, The narrator brother was one that traveled all over the world. This man showed a slide of all the governing body. He then asked, Who here know who these people are? Silence........ It re-inforced to me that most witnesses don't even know who's running the show. They put their total faith in people they don't even recognize! Total faith in people who translated their own bible. musky

• Truth2Me
    Truth2Me

I remember reading in Raymond Franz's books- either "Crisis of Conscience" or "In Search of Christian Freedom" I can't remember which one...that of the several members that he knows were on the New World Translation Translation Committee...Fred Franz was considered the "Scholar" of the Society...being the ONLY ONE that had enough education to even attempt Bible translation. Raymond Franz goes into the educational background of his uncle, Fred Franz in that book, but I don't remember the details. I do remember that I was shocked at the lack of education on the part of the NWT Translation Committee to the point where I sincerely dought that the NWT is a "new translation" at all....more like they just compiled their own version from pre-existing translations, researching only certian texts that they wanted to change to fit with their own doctrine.

I remember a few years ago before I was Df'd, going on a tour of the Patterson Bethel in NY, USA, and asking the sister who gave us the tour when the NWT is being compiled on foreign languages does the Society create a new translation from the ancient texts to the new language or do they translate directly from the English NWT into the new foreign language? She replied that she believed that the NWT would be translated into the new foreign language from the original ancient texts, after all that makes much more sense- it would be much more accurate.

But, I found out later, from the Society's own documentation (can't remember where I read it though) that the NWT in English is used to translate directly into foreign languages....further skewing the truth.

Truth2Me

• Bleep
    Bleep

Truth2Me,

I can see why you feel that you still want to come to a good understanding of the Bible. I do not find too much knowledge about what is right and wrong, what is ethical, what a good Bible principle is and the ways we can show we are a true Christian on this Bible Research Forum.

If one is truly repentant of fornication, I don't see anything else to do but welcome you back to God's Organization. Do not forget that you have the truth and it will set you free from saying things like I am a Borg. Saying that will only make Satan happy that you have gone away from the brotherly protection.

Being without the Brothers will only make worldly people come into your life. They do not have the same principles and they even go a step farther and try to make trouble with you since you already have Bible knowledge.

• larc
    larc

Bleep, what does your comment have to do with the NWT? As on the other thread on this subject, you have nothing of substance to offer. I think it must make Satan smile to see you here as a reprsentative of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, Inc.

• Bleep
    Bleep

larc, do you have anything to add about the NWT?

• Bleep
    Bleep

The NWT is only one of many modern english translations. Every modern translation can be used while looking up scriptures with the Watchtower or Awake.

• larc
    larc

Bleep, yes I do. None of the NWT writers had a college education. None of them had an in depth knowledge of Hebrew, Greek, or Aramaic. None of them had a formal education into the history or culture of the Jews. None of them could read or speak Hebrew or Greek.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Searcher: Insofar as the NWT is derived from the original languages, it technically qualifies as a translation. However, such works as The Divine Name in the New World Translation (www.tetragrammaton.org) and The Jehovah's Witnesses' New Testament (Robert H. Countess, Presbyterian and Reformed Publishing Company, 1982) show that the NWT is seriously flawed by failing to follow tried and true principles of scholarly translation. The anonymity of the translators does not protect their work from the scrutiny of others who are clearly qualified to evaluate the NWT. It fails to pass that test, and is no better than many other translations that are "designed" to support a particular religion.

Bleep: translate this, if you can: ei de tiv dokei eidenai ti oudepw ouden egnwken kaywv dei gnwnai

Then, think about what it should mean to you. (Clue: it IS a Scripture. If you have any decent research materials available and know how to use them, then even you can figure it out.)

Craig

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit