Is the Bible Really the Word of God?

by gumby 45 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby

Is the Bible really the Word of God? While sitting in my garage having a smoke, I reached up to an old publication (which I keep handy on my shelves). It was the book stated above. It was funny I picked that one as I usually randomlly pick something to read to compare with what I know.This subject has been on my mind for quite a few months. I have had SERIOUS doubts about the bible... but not God. Chapter 5 "Early Christianity- Is the Record Sound?, had some good argumentation that I could use some help with to see the 'other side of the coin'. Here are the 'jist' of what it said; 1. Jesus WAS a historical figure as writers other than christians testify. Wether he DID THE THINGS the bible said he did, OR WAS who the bible said he was.......is the debate. 2.The 4 Gospels all harmonize even though written by different writers. 3. The jewish TALMUD, though clashing with the gospels in that they argue in the Means by which Jesus performed miracles, do not DENY they happened.

4. Celsus, a philosopher of the second century C.E., denied Jesus as divine in that his ORIGIN was of humble begginings....poor, humble, betrayed, suferred, being put to death. The argument is he believed Jesus existed.....but he used his personal opinion on how he VIEWED him. 5.Unlike mythical writings, the bible is built on people who REALLY existed, and PLACES that exist to this day. 6. Luke 3:1,2 names 7 political and religious officials who actually lived in the time Jesus lived. "This can be verified by consulting history books" say's the article on P.67 (thought that was interesting!) 7. The writers freely admited their waeknesses. Would writers who are fabricating stories, speak so humbly? 8. Last...the book also mentioed the THEME of the bible running throughout it's pages and say's in affect...."What are the chances of one theme weaving itself throughout the bible over that many years. Well, .....what are the arguments on these 8 questions?

• Francois
    Francois

If the bible was really and truly the WORD OF GOD, you wouldn't even have to ask the question.

That answer your question?

francois

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

The best way to tell a lie is to have it contain 80% truth. There is hardly any harmony in the Bible. It should also be noted that all passages in the Bible, that have to do with Jesus, are from second hand sources and verbal stories. Haven't you played that game where you sit in a big circle and someone whispers a phrase in someone's ear and by the time it gets to the last person it is not even close to the original phrase. If memory serves me correctly Jesus was not deified until a few hundred years after he died. There is no other cultural writings from that area of the world that comfirm that any miracles were ever performed. The Talmud is also, just like the Bible, a Jewish religous doctrine so it doesn't count. Of the historical accuracy, there is little debate as to whether events were propogandized by the Hebrews. The celestial events that were recorded in the bible and by other cultures do not prove the divine nature of the Bible any more than the bible proves the Divine nature of the chinese confusionism.

There are hundreds of reasons why the Bible is nothing more than an old book written by an old civilization to prove their own divinity. All that being said, what does the bible say to you? It isn't always important what others think. If the words inside that book speak to you then by all means go with it. Just try to be logical enough to accept that the source is flawed.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

If the bible was really and truly the WORD OF GOD, you wouldn't even have to ask the question.

I think that is impeccable logic, and was a point not lost on me when I was struggling with this question.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
  • pomegranate
  • lady 45
    lady 45

i just can't go along with the thought that the bible is not the true words of jehovah god

this is the way that he has set for us to live by it"s just like a map that you might need to take a trip

to another state, then too I believe that he did use john, with the help of the holy spirit to write 5 of

books , thats my 5cent on that ????

lady 45

the bible ...
  • writerpen
    writerpen

People swear the Bible is "God's Word." I believe this phrase to be metaphorical and not literal. If it were literal, then why don't they say that it is God's Word(s), in the plural sense?

• Mulan
    Mulan

I never thought I would say this..........EVER. But, I seriously doubt it is God's word.

• hippikon
    hippikon

So the Allmighty wants to comunicate his inner feelings with his much loved human creation - What does he do. Give them a book! A very vauge book at that! A book that is so wide open to interpretation people kill each other over their understanding of its meaning. .

What does that tell us about God?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit