U.N. Question

by miner 18 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

BLAST! It doesnt seem to be showing up.

It is The Letter FROM the UN regarding the WatchTower.

I'll try to fix it if no one is able to scroll.

Copy This to WORD and enlarge it

Edited by - plmkrzy on 11 August 2002 23:31:8

• In_between_days
    In_between_days

While the topic's up again, I also have a question: In the letter I received beck from the WT bethel, it quotes something like this:

"Registration papers that we have on file contain no statements that conflict with our christian beliefs"

My question is, has anyone actually written back and requested copies of these papers? Has anyone received any?

I am thinking of doing this myself, but want to know if someone has done this already.

Thank You

IBD

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

Hey guys.... great thread. Hawk... good work 'ol buddy.

I haven't seen Paul Heoffel's name up here in a while. I should call him this week and thank him for that letter. He really doesn't understand just what he's done in wwriting that one.....

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Oh .... people have asked verbally and in writing from both parties to become transparent on the application and accreditation.

Nothing has been given.

However, as stated before Resolutions 1296 and 1297 outline the criteria that the NGOs needed to voluntarily agree to before voluntarily contacting and "associating" with the DPI. There are also numerous UN pamphlets and press releases that confirm the core criteria that had to be accepted and re-newed every year.

hawk

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I'm Just going to assume you people were not able to scroll

Hopefully you can SEE this. Don't be affraid to ask for this to be enlarged if anyone is unable to read it either

Quote from the UN NGO Brochure

www.un.org/MoreInfo/ngolink/brochure.htm

What is an NGO?

A non-governmental organization (NGO) is any non-profit, voluntary citizens' group which is organized on a local, national or international level. Task-oriented and driven by people with a common interest, NGOs perform a variety of services and humanitarian functions, bring citizens' concerns to Governments, monitor policies and encourage political participation at the community level. They provide analysis and expertise, serve as early warning mechanisms and help monitor and implement international agreements. Some are organized around specific issues, such as human rights, the environment or health. Their relationship with offices and agencies of the United Nations System differs depending on their goals, their venue and their mandate.

Over 1,500 NGOs with strong information programmes on issues of concern to the United Nations are associated with the Department of Public Information (DPI), giving the United Nations valuable links to people around the world. DPI helps those NGOs gain access to and disseminate information about the range of issues in which the United Nations is involved, to enable the public to understand better the aims and objectives of the world Organization.

How do NGOs and DPI cooperate?

The Department of Public Information and NGOs cooperate regularly. NGOs associated with DPI disseminate information about the UN to their membership, thereby building knowledge of and support for the Organization at the grassroots level. This dissemination includes:

Publicizing UN activities around the world on such issues as peace and security, economic and social development, human rights, humanitarian affairs and international law;
    Promoting UN observances and international years established by the General Assembly to focus world attention on important issues facing humanity.

When did the DPI relationship with NGOs begin?

The importance of working with and through NGOs as an integral part of United Nations information activities was recognized when the Department of Public Information was first established in 1946. The General Assembly, in its resolution 13 (I), instructed DPI and its branch offices to:

"...actively assist and encourage national information services, educational institutions and other governmental and non-governmental organizations of all kinds interested in spreading information about the United Nations. For this and other purposes, it should operate a fully equipped reference service, brief or supply lecturers, and make available its publications, documentary films, film strips, posters and other exhibits for use by these agencies and organizations."

In 1968, the Economic and Social Council, by Resolution 1297 (XLIV) of 27 May, called on DPI to associate NGOs, bearing in mind the letter and spirit of its Resolution 1296 (XLIV) of 23 May 1968, which stated that an NGO "...shall undertake to support the work of the United Nations and to promote knowledge of its principles and activities, in accordance with its own aims and purposes and the nature and scope of its competence and activities".

A UN DPI press release dated 7 August 1992 (NGO/211 PI/770) stated:

The NGOs officially recognized by the DPI co-operate with the United Nations to help build public understanding and support for United Nations programmes and goals.

"What are the Criteria for NGOs to become associated with DPI?"

Organizations eligible for association with DPI are those which:

Share the ideals of the UN Charter;
    Operate solely on a not-for-profit basis;
    Have a demonstrated interest in United Nations issues and proven ability to reach large or specialized audiences, such as educators, media representatives, policy makers and the business community;
    Have the commitment and means to conduct effective information programmes about UN activities by publishing newsletters, bulletins, and pamphlets; organizing conferences, seminars and round tables; and enlisting the cooperation of the media.

"What is the procedure for NGOs to become associated with DPI"?

An NGO that meets the established criteria should send an official letter from its headquarters to the Chief of the NGO Section, Department of Public Information, expressing interest in association with DPI. The letter should state the reasons why the organization seeks such association and should briefly describe its information programmes. This letter should be accompanied by at least six samples of recent information materials produced by the applying organization. Letters of reference from UN Departments, UN Programmes and Specialized Agencies, and/or UN Information Centres and Services (UNICs and UNISs) will greatly enhance consideration of the application.

Correspondence should be sent to:

Chief, NGO Section
    Department of Public Information
    Room S-1070L
    United Nations, New York, N.Y. 10017
    Tel: (212) 963-6842
    Fax: (212) 963-6914/2819

Finally here is a quote from a current (January 2002) NGO webpage on the UN website at: http://www.un.org/partners/civil_society/ngo/ngos-dpi.htm

Non-Governmental Organizations formally associated with United Nations through the Department of Public Information (DPI) disseminate information about the work of the United Nations to their memberships and endeavour to build knowledge about the United Nations and support for the Organization at the grassroots level. Informally, these organizations are known as "DPI/NGOs".

DUH

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

plmkrzy,

The point the JWs try and get you back at you when you bring the 2002 Brochure up ... is that when the WTS was accredited as an "associated NGO" with DPI back in 1992. At that time the supposed criteria was different.

True it was slightly different but the "core" criteria has not changed - such as giving out UN information and supporting the UN charter.

As for the actual registration papers (ie. the forms). These 1991 and 1992 forms signed and comepleted by the Watchtower's agents and the annual accreditation forms have never been produced.

hawk

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

hawkhawk.

I understand that but my point is they DON'T HAVE TO BE PRODUCED. WHY? (For who ever may ask) BECAUSE,

The WTBTS HAVE to fill out and sign the same damn forms any other proposed applicant has to fill out agree to and sign

before it can be or even will be considered for acceptance.

MANY ARE NOT ACCEPTED. The WTS WAS.

That is the ONLT relevance to any of this.

I don't need to see the physical application signed by the representatives of the WTBTS in order to know what was in it.

The membership does NOT come with optional CC&R's!!!!!!

done yelling.

Edited by - plmkrzy on 12 August 2002 15:12:44

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Actually plmkrzy,

ummm .....

yes .. I know this and I agreed with you but you missed my point.

I am glad you don't need to see the original application forms and renewal forms but some JWs do need them. The more information that is out there the more people think. Sure the original documents will be thoroughtly rejected by some JWs but others won't reject them and they will begin to think. That is what you want don't you? People thinking for themselves?

I and others want those documents. Period. I know their value. The more information on this scandal the better.

But wrt your point - I came to your conclusion back on September 28, 2001 likely at the same time you did when we reviewed this brochure.

hawk

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

OK point taken

peace

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit