The Confederate Flag

by Simon 109 Replies latest social current

• violias
    violias

My family both sides were out picking cotton with the slaves and never owned anyone. Speak for your self.

to add and quote a wise person

Political correctness will never satisfy everyone because there is no stopping point. What happened in Carolina was so wrong and changing a flag or a movie will not change the small minds of people that have hatred in their hearts on either side.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

SimonSays:

The distortion of slavery came later, and that's a shame that people only remember the bad, when their were also so many white people in the South helping the Black people to escape to have a better life.

Those brave white people that helped blacks to escape where a minority and they were violating the law of a nation whose populace in general was pro-slavery.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007
    As an Aussie I think it's really horrible and shocking that states would fly this flag, I can understand some red neck having it on his front lawn but a government building???...shame on you Charleston... it's a symbol of slavery and abuse by the rich. Many Americans dying a horrible needless death. People should be ashamed to be associated with it. I don't know what is wrong with people down there, really sick and disturbing.
  • zimunzucz
    zimunzucz

They interviewed a wide swath of people in my local FL newspaper. Hardly anyone saw anything wrong with the Confederate flag- even the blacks just viewed it as " old history", and not something that personally affected them today, unlike getting a good job , which has gotten very hard for Blacks since the president let in the illegals. As I see it, this flag thing is a calculated distraction, to keep the minorities from seeing Obama's failures in the African American community. Some blacks are doing OK, Like the Haitians down here, who are real workers-- they have taken over the trucking and moving jobs. I shook the hand of a Haitian man recently who was of the same trade I was."Your people fought for your freedom- you shed blood to get free- not like the blacks in America." I sometimes wonder, if the black slaves in America would have ever organized and fought for their own freedom had the Civil war never happened.

Speaking of Freedom- it appears the Federal government told Amazon they had to stop selling the Confederate Flag on their auction site- imagine that, being strong armed by a democratic government.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Viviane

When I see someone flying the flag, I absolutely know everything I need to about that person.

That sounds rather prejudice so let me rephrase it in ways that may get my point across.

When I see someone who does not love Jehovah, I absolutely know everything I need to about that person.

When I see someone who calls himself an atheist, I absolutely know everything I need to about that person.

Look, I get it. The confederate flag is associated with a war that has been associated with slavery. Whether rightly or wrongly. But to make a blanket statement like yours ignores everything about the kind of prejudice that everyone on this board has experienced in one form or another.

We run the very risk of becoming no different than the religious institutions and other hate groups that we speak out against simply because they are prejudice to anyone who is different from them. Have you heard of that ridiculous atheism plus movement, they are so much like a religion in their own right that it is nauseating.

• SimonSays
    SimonSays

Village Idiot

Those brave white people that helped blacks to escape where a minority and they were violating the law of a nation whose populace in general was pro-slavery.

I guess your attempt is to minimize the abolitionists that were a great many to construct the underground railroad, so don’t put hate in your ideology for those sacrificing so much to help others. Think like a humanitarian not a bitter ex-witness.

• SimonSays
    SimonSays

garyneal

We run the very risk of becoming no different than the religious institutions and other hate groups that we speak out against simply because they are prejudice to anyone who is different from them. Have you heard of that ridiculous atheism plus movement, they are so much like a religion in their own right that it is nauseating.

With one minor addition, you people HAVE become the thing you most hate, ex-witnesses are NO different than other hate groups, call it for what it is, and don’t sugar coat this forums intent. Peoples sad attempt by coerciveness to awaken people to your truth is no better than the choice the WTS gave you to even consider reading scripture more so to understand it. If they hadn’t you wouldn’t be here following the same parallels. Terry can attest to that.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

SIMON said

No, you are not being patriotic in anyway shape or form for flying it. No, you get no respect because everyone knows that it is a symbol of. People who would rather see the country burn than have anything taken away from them. Is it a republican thing? It seems that they are willing to do that to the country.

No Simon it is not a Republican thing it is a Democratic thing. The Republicans will take it down however just like Abe (Republican) stopped slavery.

• Simon
    Simon
    No Simon it is not a Republican thing it is a Democratic thing. The Republicans will take it down however just like Abe (Republican) stopped slavery.

The republican and democratic parties of back then are almost completely reversed now. The Democrats used to be the redneck southerners with links to the KKK and the republicans the enlightened libertarians.

Times change.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Meh. The Gadsden flag is taking over the place of the confederate flag now it seems. More politically correct.

I'm beginning to see "Don't Tread on Me" and coming to the "all I need to know about someone" conclusion as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit