The Confederate Flag

by Simon 109 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

The latest controversy over the confederate flag just sums up to me the state of dysfunction that exists in American society.

In summary: a white supremacist nutter shoots 9 black people dead in a church. He's clearly inspired by the messages of others which the confederate flag is often a symbol of.

It seems like a no-brainer to remove it. Why is it even there at all?

Not only isn't it removed, it isn't even lowered at all as a mark of respect.

And of course now there are the people who want to defend their right to have it. Oh boy. Yes, someone's right "not to be told what to do" should supersede everyone else's rights. To hell with the offence it causes to people because of what it symbolizes. My rights !!! Wah, wah, wah.

The confederate flag symbolizes 3 things:

• Slavery and oppression
    • Idiot starting of a war that could never be won and the untold bloodshed that resulted
    • Stupid selfishness and stubbornness

No, you are not being patriotic in anyway shape or form for flying it. No, you get no respect because everyone knows that it is a symbol of. People who would rather see the country burn than have anything taken away from them. Is it a republican thing? It seems that they are willing to do that to the country.

If you take any of the arguments that people trot out as reasons for keeping it and replace "black" with "jew", and "confederate flag" with "swastika" then the insanity of the arguments to keep it really come alive.

It's fitting that it's a symbol of the idiot anti-government wannabe somebody who will never be anyone and think burning the stars-and-stripes is some sort of achievement. Grade A losers, like the idiots who started the war for it. At least it helps show who they are when they fly it. It would make a great drone target.

It was funny in Dukes of Hazard. Like lots of things, people didn't realize how offensive things were. Now we know. We should have grown up. Well, some of us did. Some obviously are still say dribbling and throwing their toys around if they don't get their own way.

It has no place on government buildings today. Tear it down, burn it and do it publicly. It has no place in modern society and, like it's cousin the swastika, should only be seen in museums.

C'mon America, do the the right thing!

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

I literally want Britain to rule us again.

The things I've seen on FB over this flag make me sick. I've felt it should be gone since I first learned what it was in school.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Since it has become a banner for hate groups why fly it?

Yep, no-brainer indeed.

• Simon
    Simon

And once again, just like with the Newtown school shooting, the aftermath becomes focused on "people's rights" rather than the rights of the victims to just LIVE !

"OMG, my guns, my flag, my rights"

Yeah, we don't care. You don't deserve "rights" when you refuse to put the welfare of others above them.

• cappytan
    cappytan

The Confederate States of America only existed for ~4 years.

Slavery existed under the U.S. flag longer than the Confederate flag.

When it comes to issues of the Civil War, though slavery was a tipping point, there were also issues of State's rights and a fear of losing political clout on a federal level that were in play.

Lincoln won the election, the secession started.

The Emancipation Proclamation happened well after the outbreak of the Civil War. Slavery was still federally legal in the U.S. when the first shots were fired.

So to equate slavery as the sole issue in the civil war is to be uninformed and ignorant of the other political issues of the time.

Comparing it to the Swastika is also a false equivalency. The German Government of the WWII era took specific steps to exterminate the Jews. The Confederate Government only had a policy of keeping the status quo. Yes, it was a horrible status quo, but the atrocities committed against slaves were committed by private individuals, plantations and not by official state action.

The idea of allowing that private activity to continue is reprehensible. However, it is very different than having an official state sanctioned policy of extermination.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Rights of victims verses rights of gun owners, goes something like this "this town ain't big enough for both of us, so one of us is gonna have to go"

That's how the west was won baby.

• Clambake
    Clambake

I just went to see Lynyrd Skynyrd ( yes there are two original members ) and was looking for a T-shirt and I see the shirts had the confederate flag removed from them. I was like “ man the PC crowd got to Skynyrd. “ No way

Maybe its the fact I love Southern rock and roll or the fact I am only four generations removed from the deep south but I am more a its heritage not hate kind of guy. Imagine if you just allowed to say things about visible minorities that you are allowed to say about Southern folks. It kind of pisses me off.

• Simon
    Simon
    Slavery existed under the U.S. flag longer than the Confederate flag.
    When it comes to issues of the Civil War, though slavery was a tipping point, it was an issue of State's rights and a fear of losing political clout on a federal level.

I know that slavery existed before the war started but part of it was the inevitability of slavery being abolished and the south not wanting to allow this to happen. They wanted to keep their wealth and lifestyles that relied so much on the suffering and hard work of others.

They started a war that they didn't have a hope in hell of winning. People have described the North as fighting with the equivalent of one hand behind their back. Maybe they should have used two hands.

However, it is very different than having an official state sanctioned policy of extermination.

Then call it an "official policy of non-equality". Dress it up however you want, it's still as objectionable and is the same basic use of imagery used by the same type of mentality as the neo-nazi knuckle-heads of Europe.

I am more a its heritage not hate kind of guy

That's great if you have that luxury. But for many it is a symbol of hate and suffering and the reason it's kept alive is more to serve as a reminder of that suffering than history. Historically it is a joke - a symbol of amateur military and stupidity beyond belief. Who would celebrate that?

No, it's alive because of the people who want the reminder of a time they could murder with impunity and not have to follow rules.

It's time they did as they were told.

• cappytan
    cappytan
    ...the same basic use of imagery used by the same type of mentality as the neo-nazi knuckle-heads of Europe.

It really is sad that the imagery of the confederate flag has been commandeered by hate groups.

In my mind, it's a piece of history, and promotes that heritage of telling Washington to mind their own business.

In the 80's my favorite TV show was The Dukes of Hazzard.

Whenever I see the confederate flag, the last thing I think about is hate and slavery.

If I ever get a 1969 Dodge Charger, it's gonna have the General Lee paint job and that has nothing to do with hate.

• Clambake
    Clambake

Well I heard mister Simon sing about her
    Well, I heard ole Simon put her down
    Well, I hope Simon will remember
    A Southern man don't need him around anyhow

LMAO

( Shit I am Canadian )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit