Ahh, Mother's

by teenyuck 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

AHH, Mothers.

Reading jozb5s thread on her mother made me think of this. I recently told my husband and he is even more disgusted with my mother.

My parents divorced when I was 12. My mom was desperate to be married and started a dating binge. She dated anyone, witness or not.

One of her boyfriends was a guy named Louie. He was right off the plane from Italy . He spoke broken English. He had a brother named Domingo. Domingo came to the USA after Louie and spoke even more broken English. They were not dubs.

My mom thought Louie had money. That was the #1 criterion for a husband. He had to be able to support her in the manner she had been accustomed. Louie seemed to fit the bill. No former wife or kids to support and he lavished gifts on my mother. Her #2 criterion was no former wife or children...too messy when he died.

My mom dated Louie when I was 14. Domingo, in the mean time, needed a companion to go to the race track. Louie and Domingo owned race horses and raced at Hawthorne Race track, outside of Chicago . (Many dub assemblies were held there).

Neither Louie nor Domingo held day jobs. They somehow had money and raced horses. They both also drove Cadillacs.

Domingo seemed to be interested in me. My mother saw nothing wrong with dressing me up and taking me along with her and Louie and letting people think I was Domingos date. The understanding was that I was to be friendly to Domingo. My mom might get more gifts if I were friendly and allowed Domingo to kiss or fondle me.

When I say dressing me up, she would have me dress in my KH best. Dress or skirt, hose, heels, makeup; the whole package. I was tall for my age, so I fit in her clothing. She would dress me up in her evening clothes also.

I can recall standing outside the stall of one of Louie and Domingos horses. Domingo tried to kiss me and tried to grab my boob. (What little there was) My mother and Louie were at the clubhouse or whatever you call the place where the people place bets and stuff. Domingo was going to let me pet the horses. It was dark out and kind of cool out.

I yelled for him to stop and pushed him away. I was just disgusted. I did not want some old man (Domingo was about 45 and Louie was about 40; my mom was about 37) touching me. I just snapped. I realized that no matter what my mom could get from Louie in the form of gifts, it was not worth having this old man touch me. I wanted a young boyfriend.someone my age.

I ran back to the club house and told my mom I was sick and had to leave. Domingo followed me and was yelling at Louie in Italian. I am sure he was telling Louie that I was denying whatever Louie had promised. They were yelling at each other for quite a while and gesturing at me.

My mother agreed that we could leave. In the car I told her what happened. She got really mad at me and said Louie would probably dump her and she would not be able to get any more gifts and all hope of marrying him would be off the table. ( She thought that since he was an immigrant, he would marry her and she would gain some control of what he had. That rested upon my playing nice and letting Domingo have some fun.) When I look back, I really think she was also afraid that Louie was in the mob. There were/are acknowledged Italian mobsters in Chicago and she was worried that Louie might try to hurt her. I said that I did not think that Louie was going to take a hit out on her because of me.

I wanted a father so bad, even Louie would do. I also had thoughts of being married to Domingo. Getting married was paramount in my mind. My mother made it clear that being married was the most important thing for a woman to do. Domingo seemed to make it all so easy.

I think about this often. I cannot even begin to explain my mother's behavior. I cannot begin to explain mine. Why would I meekly put up with that? Even for a few months? I know I was desperate for a father. I then get really mad at my mother. She really embodies the underbody of dubdom. She preaches the new system and would sacrafice her soul for a dollar.

I tried to talk to her about this a few months ago. She totally denied all of it. She said I was over reacting to Domingo and he was just trying to keep me warm!

This is the kind of stuff I have a hard time forgiving her for. The verbal and physical abuse were a product of her upbringing. The shit with Louie and Domingo was her being a greedy harlot who was willing to let her daughter be harmed for a gift.

When I read the other thread on jozb5's thread I could see it happening before my eyes. I can still see Domingo in his polyester suit. He and Louie always wore three-piece suits and loafers with tassels on them. I can see the hair on his chin and the slight gap between his teeth. He had a slight pot belly.

Thanks for reading. It is really hard to write this.

Edited by - puffsrule on 8 August 2002 19:41:6

Edited to add missing words...they just disappeared!

Edited by - puffsrule on 8 August 2002 19:45:16

• jozb5
    jozb5

Ah geez, that was hard to read.

You know what the sad thing about all this is? I thought for the longest that maybe I was the crazy one. That maybe I just wasn't looking at what my mom did in the right way. Maybe in her own twisted way she really does love me. But the things she has done and said to me and then denied...I don't know. I'm a 37 year old mom of 3 kids and it's still hard to forget.

And then to hear or read what other people do to their kids, it's just all to much sometimes.

Josie

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Josie, until I came to this board, I thought I was the only one who experienced some really questionable stuff. There are so many stories from so many people I know that I am not alone with my feelings.

I, too, have analyzed everything my mom did and I have tried to make excuses for her behavior. I honestly do not know if she loves me. I think I am the only family member she has who speaks to her and she is terrified of no family.

She has cut off all of her family (all JW); she has cut off all of my father's family (not JW); she has lost contact with my sister because of her comments about my brother-in-law.

I am the only family she has. Her words are hollow. For too many years I heard I was a 'milstone around her neck.'

I go through phases. This past week I have been really disliking her. Some other things happened to make me just get disgusted with her. She is all about money. That disgusts me.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Hi Puffs. It's really difficult to believe what some Mothers pull on their kids. The stuff I posted on the other thread is actually just the tip of the iceberg for what mine pulled on me, but that would take volumes to write, if I could even remember some more of it.

For the life of me, I cannot begin to imagine why parents have kids and mistreat them so much. Some, like my Mom, even continue it into our adulthood. One of the last I remember was when I was home of leave from 'Nam and heading back in a few days. With me sitting in the room, she stated to her friends that were visiting that she would be so proud if I were killed in Vietnam and she could say how her only son gave his life for his country. My retort to that was less than complimentary, but enthusiastic nonetheless.

Some make it so hard to love them!

Lew W

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Puffs rule I still think our mothers must have been sisters

My mother always said "You need a good man to take care of you" Problem was she got hooked up with 3 men who all were pedophiles.

I finally realized that my mother is sick. I would never even consider doing that to my girls. She was always dating men - all of them non-JWs. One week she had 3 marriage proposals and one of those was from a married brother in the hall. She thought she was such a catch.

I spent most of my life looking up to her and thinking she was so strong. I wanted to be just like her. I think I went along with so much because I was so desperate for her to love me.

A few years ago a friend of mine asked if my mother suffered from narcissism. I had never considered that my mother was menatally ill. We all knew how sick my father was but all believed she was the sane parent. Well I did some research and she fits the criteria in all the details. Recognizing that helped me a lot. I felt less like I was the crazy one. It took me until I was in my early 40's to see this but I am glad I did.

I'm sad there are a few of us here that have had mother's like this. At the same time is is good to know I am not alone. And neither of you seem crazy so hopefully I'm not either :)

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

I tried to talk to her about this a few months ago. She totally denied all of it. She said I was over reacting to Domingo and he was just trying to keep me warm!

This is the kind of stuff I have a hard time forgiving her for. The verbal and physical abuse were a product of her upbringing. The shit with Louie and Domingo was her being a greedy harlot who was willing to let her daughter be harmed for a gift.

First off,

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Puffs))))))))))))))))))))))))

Second,

Why do you need to forgive her? She has expressed absolutely no remorse for serving up her little girl on a silver platter to some old man, and refuses to admit it actually happened. In my book, she has not earned her forgiveness. Don't bother.

Also, something about your story has touched me. Not sure what it is at this point. Maybe I can relate to being paraded around and being "offered up". However, it's imbedded deep and I just can't go there now.

This must have been so difficult for you to write and share with us. I hope it has helped you.

Andee

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

Thank you for sharing that with us. I know how hard it is to speak of things like that. Your mother doesn't deserve your forgiveness. If you can forgive her, you are a better person than I am. (Which is probably true anyway.)

• teenyuck
    teenyuck
    For the life of me, I cannot begin to imagine why parents have kids and mistreat them so much. Some, like my Mom, even continue it into our adulthood.

That is the part I don't get. Why?

I spent most of my life looking up to her and thinking she was so strong. I wanted to be just like her. I think I went along with so much because I was so desperate for her to love me.

A few years ago a friend of mine asked if my mother suffered from narcissism. I had never considered that my mother was menatally ill.

Lady Lee, this is eerie! I, too, thought I wanted to be just like my mom. I determined about 16 years ago (after a disastorous first marriage) that I would not be like her. I had been desperate for the love. My sister had left when I was 15, so I got more attention, however, I could tell that she was really disappointed that my sister left and her hopes of finding a good JW for her were dashed. She never gave me the attention a teenager needs and basically said I was too fat and stupid to find a man. (my first husband used those exact words, too)

My sister has been in and out of my life the last 25 years. I heard from her last summer and then she sent me a hate filled e-mail 25 pages long. She told me all the mistakes I made; however, she also said her therapist had said our mom fit the narcisstic mold to a T. I looked it up and determined that she does indeed have the symptoms.

I'm sad there are a few of us here that have had mother's like this. At the same time is is good to know I am not alone. And neither of you seem crazy so hopefully I'm not either :)

I don't think any of us are crazy. Knowing the issues are half the battle.

Why do you need to forgive her? She has expressed absolutely no remorse for serving up her little girl on a silver platter to some old man, and refuses to admit it actually happened. In my book, she has not earned her forgiveness. Don't bother.

You are right Andee. She has never acknowledged what she has done. I guess that I have the "forgive and forget" syndrome. I really don't want to forgive her.

Thank you Wolfgirl...I am not better than you. You, too, were harmed badly. We are all in this together. I really appreciate your thoughts; it really did help to write it down. I told my husband, however, he just cannot comprehend how a mother could act this way.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

PuffsRule - the similarities are uncanny. My younger sister left when she was 15 - got into drugs and a whloe mess of bad stuff. She decided if she couldn't be a perfectly good JW she be a perfectly bad anything else. My mother told me I was her only hope for people to know she was a good mother. Yeah right 1 out of 5 and from the age of 9 - 16 I only lived with her for 1 year. I think maybe that is what saved me. Lord knows what I would be like if I had lived with her all those years like the others did.

This whole idea of forgiveness is so unhealthy I think. People need to do 2 things to be forgive - repent and stop doing it. My mother doesn't even acknowledge what happened. In her mind she has rewritten history. She thinks we had a good life and doesn't see how she used all of us to get her needs met.

I am very proud now that I am not like either one of my parents. She was the totally self-involved narcissist and my father was the sociopath. I guess compared to him she did look better. My father never said he loved us. She did and would do things that made us think she did. But it was always to get what she wanted. It left me with a very sick idea of what love was. Add to that the sick idea of WT love and it is no wonder I had so many problems by the time I left

A person's ability to recover is phenomenal. I know I still have issues. But they are small in comparison to what I used to deal with. I am no longer depressed and live an abuse free life.

It feels so good

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I decided to do a bit of research and found this about narcissism

http://imiuru.com/Narcissism2.html#anchor654194

It is very interesting and describes my mother very well

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit