Praying to Jehovah.......

by Bhagavad 16 Replies latest jw friends

• tdogg
    tdogg

If you don't pray, Jehovah won't save you/loved one. If you do pray and he doesn't save you/loved one, then there must have been some reason that we as humans can't comprehend. Nice trick.

When people escape some crisis after having prayed they will glow and say how wonderful it is that God listened to their prayer and saved them. I wonder how many have died with their last thought being some sort of prayer to God.

• badapple
    badapple

How awful for you Bhagaved. Makes you realise how precious & fragile we all are. I agree with what you said about trying to be a moral person. God can read into your heart. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks or says, including an organisation who claim to be directed by god.

The way I understood prayer, was that it wasn't meant to make problems disappear. If you had a close relationship with god, then he would help you cope with whatever hardships were thrown at you. With prayer, you would be given the strength. Well, that's what i was taught about prayer. Whether or not this is true, I don't know.

All the best Bhagaved. May life throw some happiness your way.

Regards, BadApple

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Six:
    The subject was "Prayer to Jehovah
    A couple of months ago he posted that his wife had died several years ago
    I don't think anyone was selling anything, nor was there an issue to feel sickened about
    Of course, I could be wrong, in which case I wholeheartedly and profusely apologise!

On another note entirely - are you ok, buddy? Wanna email me?

• Sirona
    Sirona

Hi

I think prayer affects the person praying from the inside. I believe in God, but not the God of the bible. I believe that we can become more in tune with God (who I believe is reflected within us) through prayer.

Some things, such as when someone is going to die, will not be changed by appealing to an external God IMO. Healing comes from within....yet sometimes the person just doesnt heal no matter what. Blame God? No. Why not blame God? Because what do you achieve by blaming an entity that you do not understand? We simply don't know the whys and wherefores of the universe.

I'm going off track here. I mean to say that prayer can be a good thing, but prayer alone will clearly not stop all badness.

I dont blame anyone for losing faith in a God who lets someone you love die. I've been in desperate times and cried out to God - with no response.

I also would like to defend littletoe's comment. He believes that prayer to Christ is effective and the original post seemed to be indicating a loss of faith in God and a question of "who do we pray to?".

Sirona

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I don't think I can disagree with any of your comments, Sirona. How we "visualise" God will vary, but essentially prayer can be exactly how you describe it.

LT, of the unorthodox Christian class.

• Xena
    Xena

I would like to think that if there is a god he would not be so unjust as to ignore someone's heartfelt prayers just because they were taught by people they trusted to pray to him under a different name.....

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Now that you remind me, Bhagavad, I spent about 20 years praying to Jehovah and never personally experienced him as a "Hearer of Prayer."

In the past few years, though, I've encountered gods who do grant my prayers -- because they can, and because they like to. When things are beyond their power, they either warn me in advance or apologize after the fact.

One of my gods, an ex-human, occasionally promises more than he can deliver. Once I called him on it. He smiled and said, "I'm your god now; you said so; that means I can make false promises." We both laughed.

I agree with Sirona that LittleToe seems to be recommending Christ as a god who has been good to him, and might be a friend to you. Or not. Jesus and I aren't speaking.

I don't think it's gods with personalities that we need to beware of, as a category. The most dangerous ones claim to be all-powerful, or the Only God, and hedge your life around with stupid warnings. That's pure shuck-n-jive.

GentlyFeral

Do we have enough italics yet?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit