The Phrase "Present Truth"

by twain30 15 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, the last time the phrase is used in the WTS publications is in the 1988 Revelation Climax book. It is also used in one of the songs in the current songbook. Most JWs are not familiar with the term. Most think of the idea of brighter light in connection with Proverbs 4:18. The phrase can be found in some Bible translations at 2 Peter 1:12 and this is how it looks in the NWT:

2 Peter 1:12 NWT

12 For this reason I shall be disposed always to remind

YOU of these things, although YOU know [them] and are firmly set in the truth that is present [in YOU ].

Revelation Climax Chapter 8 Revelation-Its Happy Climax!

8 An even stronger reason for publishing this book is the need to keep up-to-date with present truth . Jehovah is continually shedding greater light on the meaning of his Word, and we can expect that our understanding of Revelation, along with other prophecies, will be sharpened as we draw closer to the great tribulation.

Here is the scripture in the King James Version and Young's Literal Translation.

King James Version 2 Peter 1

12 Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present truth .

Young's Literal Translation 2 Peter 1

12 Wherefore, I will not be careless always to remind you concerning these things, though, having known them, and having been established in the present truth,
  • libra_spirit
    libra_spirit

Can there be such a thing as "present truth" concerning a 2000 year old book?

• barry
    barry

JanH is right 'Present' Truth is an old Adventist term in fact I have in front of me a magazine called Present Truth by a dissident Adventist Robert D Brinsmead. A brinsmead lady gave it to me quite a few years ago. It should be remembered that Brinsmead changed his beleifs from traditional Adventist to evangelical Adventist to liberal adventist to Lutherine to non beleiver as he is today.
    Barry

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

It seems to me...........

............that the expression "present truth" is part of the mind-conditioning that the Dubs all experience. The Borgmeisters use the special language of the Witnesses in order to condition their members to obey their every word and instruction. Just by uttering a Dub word, the speaker is conditioning him/herself. Take, as an example, the expression "The Truth". Doesn't it mean something special to a Dub and encompass life in obedience to the WTS. How many exDubs still use that expression "The Truth"?

Cheers, Ozzie

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

The biggest work on "present truth" I ever read was Leroy Frooms "Prophetic faith of our Fathers", a 4 volume work of more than 4 thousand pages (adventist book) cataloguing the gradual re revelation of the sabbath doctrine from Apostolic times thru to the 1850s when Ellen White re established it as a divine truth.

Most staggeringly fatiguing thing Ive ever read. Worse even than Gibbons "rise and fall of the Roman empire"

Edited by - refiners fire on 8 August 2002 6:40:30

• barry
    barry

Refiner now I know what Adventists you were hanging out with Leroy is an Arian [beleive the same as the witnesses that Jesus is a created being] most Adventists are trinitarian.
    Barry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit