The Phrase "Present Truth"

by twain30 15 Replies latest jw friends

• twain30
    twain30

I am puzzled by the expression, "Present Truth" as used buy the WBTS. For example: "We must keep in step with present truth." Now to me something is either true, partially true, or untrue. If were unsure about something we should say, "I'm not sure" not, "This is present tuth." Some time ago I brought this up to a Circuit Overseer, he just nodded his head at me and said, You just don't get it."

Please explain-what did I fail to understand?

• ballistic
    ballistic

It will be most interesting as a by-stander to see what happens when the 'present truth' of 1914 finally collapses, being that so much other 'truth' rests on this date.

• LuckyLucy
    LuckyLucy

He met to say "I don't have an intelligent answer for that"

You just don't get it!!! How lame is that!!

I would have said "ya ..I don't get it...thats why im asking you ...

• Bodhisattva
    Bodhisattva

Somewhere in the New Testament, I think in I or II Peter, "present truth" is mentioned in the NWT. Other translations correspond better to what most theologians think and, frankly, what Russell understood, when they translate that portion as 'the truth that is present in you.' From a liberal theological stance, it is offensive for someone to say "I have the truth," but harmless for the believer to recognize that in holding onto his belief system, he possesses a truth.

I'm sure someone knowledgeable in Greek would be able to make us laugh at how ridiculous it is for the WTS to translate and represent the source for the word "present" as meaning present time.

• TheApostleAK
    TheApostleAK

Switch:

"We must keep in step with present truth."

to

"We must keep in step with the Organisation."

From AK

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

When I left 20 years ago I was having big time problems with what was considered present truth as opposed to what was truth. Theses changes required a dub to immediately switch from one "truth" to another "truth." That was a stretch I just couldnt make.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    "We must keep in step with present truth."

It's directly conected to "The New Light"

They go hand in hand

In other words, Don't actually go by anything the Governing body says since they are only getting their information directly from God.

Edited by - plmkrzy on 7 August 2002 19:50:52

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The present truth?What a crock of shit! The WBTS truth changes at will.Todays truth is tommorows mistake.Thats where new light comes in..OOpp`s,we lied to you,this is whats true now.....until the next new light...OUTLAW

Edited by - OUTLAW on 7 August 2002 19:57:57

• JanH
    JanH

It is an old Adventist expression, pre-Russell, supporting a belief in God gradually revealing "new truths" to the faithful.

It is worth noting that Russell himself said "new light" would not contradict, only supplement, "old light." Now, that would be consistent with gradual revelation. Back-and-forth and flip-flopping doctrines would not.

- Jan

Edited by - JanH on 7 August 2002 20:2:23

• twain30
    twain30

Re: To Bodhisattva

Expression "Present Truth" not found in NWT-I checked concordance. The scripture you referenced at 2 Pet 1:12 reads: "For this reason I shall be disposed always to remind you of these things, although you know them and are firmly set in the truth that is present in you."??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit