I disfellowshipped my parents this week..

by fulano 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

JW's get to have the upper hand in how much or how little they will shun their family members and you are supposed to be grateful for whatever crumbs they throw you. You've taken the wind out of their sails by turning the tables on them. I've thought about saying to JW's I run into from time to time... " I hate to sound harsh but are you still a JW? If so I can't in good conscience speak to you if you are still part of that misleading and destructive organization."

The difficult part of this lies in the fact that they are your parents and they are quite elderly. It's hard to be forgiving even when you know that they too are victims of a cult.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I don`t judge you fulano , for the action you have taken against your parents .

My daughter in law , a wonderful girl has been shunned by her parents and siblings for the past 18 years .

And her siblings were not ones that would be held up as examples at a convention .

I would be proud to call her my daughter .

Her parents have contacted her only twice in those 18 years , only to encourage her to go to meetings.

Yet when she was growing up her mother and her were like two peas in a pod..

However if you leave the " truth " you can be cur off forever .

smiddy

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

Funnily I was thinking of doing the same thing this week.

I'm bored of them expecting me to be happy with the crumbs of a relationship they throw. I'd rather they cut all ties completely and leave me be. If any of my non JW friends did this i'd have unfriended them years ago.

• fulano
    fulano

@pete, you understand exactly what I mean, I will not accept any longer that arrogant, disgusting attitude.

How can we help you?, now you have future, that arrogance T the funeral of my grand-mother to ask us to leave the room because they had to pray together as a JW family ( uncles , aunts etc).

Now I have turned the tables on them. Don't need that crap anymore.

• steve2
    steve2

Fulano, as others have said, I won't judge you - even though your parents are elderly and - I assume - were only raising you in accord with their religious beliefs.

It sounds as if they may have failed to convey to you any sense of deep parental love and are now reaping what they sowed as parents. My own parents were 2nd gen JWs - both now deceased. Where my parents appeared to differ from the norm among JWs was in their overt expressed love and acceptance for all their children, my mother in particular. Their love was never contingent on our being JWs - although none of us even openly bad-mouthed the religion either.

I feel for you and can only imagine the pain and hurt you must be feeling that has led you to putting out clesr conditions to your parents.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    By witness rules and policy, you reap what you sow. If they sowed discord and shunning you.... Then they reap it in return. I hate the emotional blackmail to serve an imaginary bronze age goat herder god.
  • jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

most importantly, I hope that you and your brother find peace.

good luck with your future lives

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    I never lowered myself to their debauched levels, I keep a door open for anyone, raise above them , this sort of behaviour only reinforces their distorted view of all who leave "jehovah" my mums dying wishes were that I was NOT to attend her funeral, she took years of anger, hatred and bitterness to her grave, I certainly wont be.
  • ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Instead of demanding that JWs leave the Watchtower, how about demanding that they critically think for themselves? Who knows it might make them curious what is critical thinking, or what is Ockham's razor (or "lex parsimoniae")?

Once JW's can critically think for themselves, they can then decide whether to stop being a JW or how to fake being a JW.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• fulano
    fulano

What also hurts is the fact that they did not halve for the truth as I did. After the funeral of my grand-mother, my brother , never been a very active JG, but a very assertive person, got upset by their behaviour and attacked my uncles. Told them how they had the guts, with less knowledge and experience as I had ( it was not my idea, believe me), treat us this way. He challenged them I would ask a question of the bible that the three of them would not Be able to answer, they agreed, a Ridiculous situation. Well I followed the situation and asked them what was the sjekinah light, where was it and represented it. Nothing. A very unpleasant moment and 100% typical of my family environment. Now you understand maybe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit