What should I do?

by siegswife 20 Replies latest jw friends

• siegswife
    siegswife

Thanks everyone. That's what my gut is telling me, too. Sieg doesn't agree, but I'll just have to convince him!

Writerpen, Maybe I can get one of the demonz that are harassing her to provide the other witness...where's Thomas Poole or YouKnow when you need them...

Bluesbro thanks for the sentiment

Lea

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

Does "Bill" exist at all????

Is she imagining entire people??

She sounds like she needs some medical & psychiatric help.

I would first ask if you think she is capable of hurting you? If yes then get some help immediately.

If not then maybe you should ignore her.

• siegswife
    siegswife

Spice, if she has a gun...then yes she's capable. Sieg doesn't think she has one, though. If it was just her with no gun...well, I'd f*&k her up if she tried anything.

• cyrano
    cyrano

When someone makes a death threat, they should be taken for their word. How often have you heard "I thought he was just joking" or "I didn't take him seriously'. It's too late then.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Siegswife, she's made the threat to shoot you so you should assume she has a gun or access to one and act accordingly.

There was this "sister" in our congregation years ago who was well-known as being crazy. Extreme paranoia, everyone was "out to get her". But no one took her seriously, she was just an older woman with mental problems and thus viewed as "harmless". One day my dad and I stopped by her house while out in service, kind of an informal "shepherding call" if you will. During the conversation, which was primarily about who was out to get her, she proudly displayed a loaded .38 Special.

The point is, don't assume someone isn't armed because they're crazy.

Mike.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

siegswife, first go to the office and file a formal complaint and talk to the manager or owner. then call the police department and tell them the story and ask if there is anything you can do about verbal threats. they may take this seriously and go talk to her, which might be enough to make her stay away from you.

then go buy a gun.

i never had a gun until one time a man chased me up the stairs into my apartment. fortunately, i was a lot faster than him and made it inside and locked the door before he could catch me. i called the police immediately. even though he had already left and didn't touch me, they took me seriously and took my complaint. then i got a gun and learned how to shoot etc. a week later i was home working out and i heard a noise outside, the door light was out and it was pitch black. somone was pounding and pounding on the door and i didn't answer. then they started to jiggle the doorknob, so i got the gun. i told whoever it was that i had a gun pointed at the door and they better get there a$$ out of there. then i heard someone run down the stairs. then a couple of weekes later they caught a rapist who lived in the apartment complex across the street from mine. his modus operandi was to dress in a gas station attendant shirt. this guy wore a shell oil logo on his, and what creeped me out was he was satnding in the alcove underneath the stairs when he approached me and he said could i answer a few questions about energy consumption or something but his eyes looked weird and i knew he was bad so i said no and he wouldn't take no for an answer and then he chased me up the stairs... so anyway i'm pretty sure he was the rapist. (whew)

you should take any threat seriously, to protect yourself. good luck p.s. i wouldn't let her know i was afraid. rather, let her know that things are in place to protect you and if she messes with you, she's messing with the wrong person.

• outnfree
    outnfree

siegswife,

I think you should report it, too. To the landlord/super AND the police.

Several years ago, my nephew threatened my life if I didn't allow him to take his daughter home (she has been my ward for the past 7 years). He lives 600 miles away, but had a car, and also told two other relatives in separate conversations that he would kill me. I called the police. They asked me if I really thought he would show up here. I said, No. But the police officer told me that it was good that I made the report of the threat. Why? Because if he SHOULD show up and I called them, they would not treat the call as a routine domestic dispute but rather would send help IMMEDIATELY because of the reported death threat.

I remember I put my grand-niece under viritual house arrest for a time and that I had a migraine from the stress for an entire week -- until I made the report, deciding to do something proactive.

Call the cops. Put your mind at ease. Whether sieg likes it or not. Perhaps the cops can ascertain whether Bill (the imaginary? husband) actually exists AND whether Pammy owns a legally registered firearm.

Best wishes,

outnfree

Edited by - outnfree on 7 August 2002 22:26:19

• siegswife
    siegswife

I've decided that I'm going to report it to the office and to the police tomorrow. Thanks everyone who replied, you really helped me to sort it out...why doesn't that surprise me?

I'm a pretty laid back person, and I really don't like living under a threat, so I think the advise given to me is really the only way to go. Even though I doubt she'll act on the threat, I can't take the chance.

It would really be freaky if the husband doesn't exist (or live down there).

• AGuest
    AGuest

Dearest Siegswife... may you have peace!

As a Property Supervisor with a great deal of experience, may I offer you some advice on this, please? Thank you!

First, do not call either the office manager... or the police. Neither can... or will... do anything. Although a threat has been made, the police cannot act unless a crime has been committed. They will tell you that the only recourse you have at this point is to file a civil suit for harassment. However, you have not actually BEEN harassed, so I don't think you will find a judge that will take it. Your only knowledge is based on hearsay, what the maintenance man said, which "Pammy" can deny. It's her word... against his.

Please note that your landlord is NOT the police. While their job is to see that you are provided with safe housing, that has to do with electrical, plumbing and other hazardous issues. It is NOT his/her job to protect you. Thus, they... will tell you to file a complaint with the police. Which leads you back to my statement above. (You can file a written complaint with your landlord, but all he/she can do is put it in the file, for now. He/she might write a letter to "Pammy", but that just might aggravate her further, yes?)

May I suggest that you call your local County Department of Mental Health? You can even call Adult Protective Services if your County has it. Either of these agencies should have a hotline or social service/counseling referral number. Call them and tell them what you have stated here. Leave nothing out. Tell them that you are afraid that Pammy might not only do harm to you and/or your husband... but to herself, as well. Make sure that you EMPHASIZE that you do NOT want the source (you) of the call revealed to her, as you are fearful of repercussion. SiegsWife, these people are TRAINED and QUALIFIED to handle folks such as dear Pammy; however, your landlord and the police are NOT. The police might even see/treat her as a criminal. If she is mentally ill, however, she is NOT evil... NOT a criminal... but ill. Sick. And she should be treated as such. It is what you would want for yourself or your loved one were the tables turned. Your landlord will see her as a nuisance, sure, but as long as she pays her rent and doesn't cause TOO much trouble, she is not their problem.

Or... you can take your own advice and that of the others here. But I don't think that will solve your problem... or help Pammy.

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SJ (on my own a little bit, but keeping the will of my Lord in mind...)

• siegswife
    siegswife

Thanks Shelby.

I do understand that she's sick, but I wouldn't be able to live with myself if something happend to my girl because I didn't take this seriously. You may be right about calling mental health professionals first, but I also liked outnfree's thought about finding out if she does have a registered firearm.

It would put my mind at ease if she doesn't. Is there anyway I can find out if the police won't even do anything about it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit