What should I do?

by siegswife 20 Replies latest jw friends

• siegswife
    siegswife

This isn't JW related, but I was hoping to get some feedback on a problem that I'm having.

Here's the deal. Yesterday my downstairs neighbor told the maintenance man that she want to shoot us (my family). I've known for about 2 years that she has some mental problems and was somehow focused on us, but I didn't realize to what extent.

Two years ago, around Christmas, we came home from somewhere and saw 2 Christmas cards laying on the rug outside our door. They were from "Pammy & Bill(?)". We don't know anyone named Pammy, and although we both know some 'Bill's', neither of us has been in contact with any recently. I remembered that another neighbor had mentioned a "Pam" that lived under us in the building, so we made the connection...thinking it was odd for them to give us 2 Christmas cards since we don't know these people, but what the hay.

The next morning at around 8:30 there was a knock on the door, I looked out the peephole and saw a woman standing there. I opened the door the woman said, "Is Bill here?" to which I replied "No" and she left. After she left, I realized that I should have explained to her that we don't even know Bill and there was no reason for her to think he was in our apartment. I called Sieg, and we both thought it might be wise for me to go down there and tell her that, which I did, bringing a Christmas card for her and her husband. I explained that I felt I may have given her the wrong impression by not explaining the above. I told her that I don't even know what her husband looks like, and she showed me a picture of someone that I haven't even seen in passing. I told her that. She did seem insistant that he was up there, and I said that if he was coming upstairs, maybe he was going across the hall from me, since they seem to have alot of traffic and I always hear someone knocking on the door. She said that she knew he wasn't going there.

Anyway, we talked for awhile and I tried to get to the bottom of it, asking if she thought her hubby was cheating on her or doing drugs or drinking... why she felt like he wasn't where he said he was, etc. I came to the conclusion that she has some mental probs. We parted and I haven't seen or talked to her since.

I do hear her down in her apartment about two or three times a month, banging around and yelling. She had one of these outbursts yesterday. Then the maintenance guy told Sieg that she said she's going to shoot us. She said that we "follow here around wherever she moves" and that we're "in her bedroom and living room". It has me unnerved.

Sieg seems to think that she is hearing 'voices' from 'up' and that's why she thinks we're One thing I realized is that when she's yelling "I hate you" she's probably yelling it up to our apartment. All this time I've been assuming that she and her hubby were arguing when that happens, but I never hear him.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? What, if anything, can/should I do about it? I really don't like the idea of someone threating my family (me, Sieg, and our 4 yr old daughter live here). Should I just ignore it since it's been 2 years and she's never approached me again?

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

Sounds like a classic paranoid schizophrenic.

I have a kid brother that is such and is very delusional when not taking his meds.

This person needs medical attention if you ask me.

• siegswife
    siegswife

I agree. I just don't know if I should take her threats more seriously. It really has me paranoid myself. LOL

I want to add, that I can understand that it's not easy living underneath someone, but I really do, often, remind my daughter and other kids not to jump around and to remember that someone lives under us. My husband and I never fight (loudly) and I really don't think she can hear our every move.

I just don't know how to take the threat.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Scary. Call your Super and get that crazy f-er out of there(committed if you can), and buy a gun.

ash

• writerpen
    writerpen

I would not take any chances. I would talk to the landlord about the threat and the police too. Schizophrenia runs on my father's side of the family, and they are very messed up when they don't take their medication. Crazy people snap and then after everyone is dead, they plead insanity.

Also, I have always lived downstairs in apartment buildings simply because I don't want to disturb anyone. I ignore what noise I hear and have never let it bother me. So I don't think that is the problem. Her mental illness is, and I wouldn't take chances with the life of your family members. If she had not made the threat to the maintenance man, I would feel differently about going to the police, but the threat was made.

Edited by - writerpen on 7 August 2002 14:34:28

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Siegswife,have a chat with your local police department,NOW! Sometimes things like this go nowhere,sometimes they explode in your face.You had best start your legal paper trail now,in case something comes up in the future.You should always take someone who wants to shoot you seriously...OUTLAW

• stichione
    stichione

More importantly, file a report with your local police department. It sounds like she made a death threat toward you.
    You shouldn't take it lightly. GO TO THE POLICE!

• writerpen
    writerpen

Not to make light of this situation, but "were there two witnesses to this threat?" If not, "then I would walk away from it." So what if she shoots you in the ass, at least you will have followed scriptural protocal.

Edited by - writerpen on 7 August 2002 14:29:1

Edited by - writerpen on 7 August 2002 14:29:52

• stichione
    stichione

Well written writerpen! Always apply the two-witness rule.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

She is probably deluded about shooting too, but you never can tell . Report it immediately to everyone that you can think of. police , local services, building landlord , or whoever would apply in the U S.

We dont want to lose you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit