Another Reason to Abhor the WTS

by Mister Biggs 24 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

It is a fact that human aid is given , but our good old "Elders" do not always perceive the most needy cases.

We have helped elderly ones get re housed in my days in the Borg , but it is evident also that the help usually goes to the ones that are well in centre of things, or shout the loudest!.

They can point to examples of practical help given , but an awful lot more slip through the net . I am amazed at posters comments of being urged out in the ministry when what they need is practical help!

I hope the publicity given this family is making her cong. squirm with embarrassment

• Mister 8iggs
    Mister 8iggs

BluesBrother-

When I have struggled in the local congregation, I have been given a WT article to review. But, about 11 years ago, I moved to Seminole, Florida from Philly, PA (I am back in the Philly area now). After my first meeting there, the congregation found out that I had no furniture in my new apartment. The next day, my apartment was fully furnished. They truly oepened their hearts to me. So, I can't say that it never happens but I think it happens moreso when you're new to a congregation.

Unfortunately, that smae congregation had some prejudiced people in it (the PO made a derogatory comment about a black brother dating a white sister. Another sister said that black babies are cute..."they look just like little minkeys"). They had no idea that I was half black. Needless to say I was bitter. So, after getting fed up with it down there in Seminole, I moved back to Philly after three months. I sold all of the furniture they donated to me! hahahahahaha!

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

I read the whole thing and I am abolutely dismayed at the watchtower's attitude.

However, if you called them on the fact that they do not provide material aid to their publishers, they would likely say that their provision of everlasting life in a paradise earth is far better and longer lasting that any material aid in this system.

The final insult was when this poor sister had to pay the brothers to help her move. How anyone could accept money from this sister is beyond me!

• rocky220
    rocky220

it's sad that the very people that collect MILLION$$$ the Borg cant get nothing more in return than more brain washing......and no support when one of their kids, spouse, get abused.....or get homeless.......no emergency fund for this kind of thing, just blah blah blah! rocky

• Mister 8iggs
    Mister 8iggs

Dutchie-

I think you misunderstood it. She paid the people from United Community Ministries. :o)

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Oh my God, that's even worse! (I guess I read it too fast!)

Where were the brothers? Why didn't they at least help her to move so that she wouldn't have to pay someone?

• glitter
    glitter

When I was 7 my (non-JW) dad kicked me, my mum and my little sister out. In this emergency some JW's came through for us - mum went straight to the home of the sister who brought her into the truth (we have no living family and she was the nearest friend) and she put us up in her home for months until we got a council home.

When we moved in we had no furniture or carpets and no money to buy any, but within days a sister in our cong had found us carpets for all the rooms (my bedroom carpet was and still is a huge rug that was once in the old Kingdom Hall!), and her and my mum cut the living room carpet with child's scissors part of the way (absolutely not kidding), another sister gave us an old sofa and a 2-ring stove until we could get a proper cooker.

Of course this is exactly how Christians are supposed to behave - not necessarily being able to provide things like these sisters did, but at least to offer whatever help they can. But according to the JW's they didn't behave like *their* idea of how Christians should behave *enough*, because I'm pretty sure the sister who helped with the carpets is now DF'd and the one who helped with the sofa and stove *certainly* got DF'd less than 18 months later.

And the vast majority in the cong we had first when we moved to where we are now wouldn't spit on you if you were on fire. Many times we'd been badly in need of help (not even financial or material help, just advice or support) and elders there told mum to "pray about it"...

Ugh, glad to be out of it, I just wish people I care about were away from them too... This is my first post - I've been looking what I've written for ages debating whether or not to send this - it's insane but I'm so scared of getting in trouble for posting here! I'm really nervous - it's ridiculous isn't it.

glitter

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Welcome Glitter,

Ugh, glad to be out of it, I just wish people I care about were away from them too... This is my first post - I've been looking what I've written for ages debating whether or not to send this - it's insane but I'm so scared of getting in trouble for posting here! I'm really nervous - it's ridiculous isn't it.

Don't be nervous, Glitter, it will pass. The first time I posted here I was sure the heavens would open up and devour me with fire. Well, it never happened. You will find alot of support and caring on this board, just stick around,kiddo.

FreeFallin

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Mr Biggs,

Thank you for the article, shows what a heartless religion we belonged to.

Free

• Granny Linda
    Granny Linda

My info did not come up as usual so just making a test post before writing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit