Mr. Coffee

by Larry 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Larry
    Larry

Anybody remembers 'Mr. Coffee' an agitator @ Bethel c. 1980's. He was a bum(?) w/ a cup of coffee always in his hands that always stood outside of Bethel. He may have been protesting or an 'apostate' but I didn't know any better at that time.Anybody know whatever happen to him? Or what was his story

Peace - LL

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

I remember him, I heard he was hit by a WT truck and won a settlement. The WT should be proud of men like him, he made opposers of the time look real intelligent.

HCM

Edited by - HoChiMin on 7 August 2002 15:3:12

• roybatty
    roybatty

I recall a story about him and some Bethelites. Supposedly Mr. Coffee was standing on the sidewalk doing his thing while a couple of stories above him were some naughty Bethelites with a huge bucket of water. They soaked him, had a laugh and then went back to work. Some time later they got in trouble for this and received some type of punishment. Not sure if this really happened or if it's another "urban legend." If I remember correctly, I heard this from a couple of ex-Bethelites. Anyone else ever hear about this? BTW, I also heard about that truck story.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

I saw Mr. Coffee 12 years ago when touring Bethel. He was anti-caffeine, blustering about the brothers and sisters drinking so much coffee. He was also yelling about make-up. However, it was his anti-coffee campaign that earned him his nickname, I understand. A Bethelite accidentally ran him over when parking his truck in Mr. Coffee's usual protesting spot. They nicknamed that Bethelite "The Coffee Creamer." [ :)] (chorus of groans)

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

I had heard he was dissed by one of the WT girls that he liked or something, and/or that Knorr pissed him off as well. Does anyone know the whole story?

Urban Legends!

http://www.freeminds.org/stories/urbanlore.htm

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

MegaDude's story was the one I heard. Everyone at Patterson talked about Mr. Coffee - shouting at everyone when they were on their way to breakfast and morning worship.

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

I saw him once :) He was standing outside of Bethel pointing up at it yelling "look at how much money the Watchtower makes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" "look at how much money the Watchtower makes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" At the top of his lungs. Yup my first and only trip to NYC was a real hoot. It was also during the middle of a garbage strike. Ewwwwwwwwwww.

• JT
    JT

yep he was the man-

just a couple of personal exp and some things i heard about him-

1. a buddy of mine was a truck driver who brought the food from the farm--- on this morning he had just got in from south carolina with a truckload of donated watermelons - he parked his rig right in front of 124 columbia hts building it had one of those elevators that came out of the sidewalk and they were out there unloading watermelons, and we all were coming out from morning worship and he kept on shouting :

"Look they are bringing in watermelons to keep the BLACKS here."

WE FELL OUT----------------------

2. I GOT TO GET A NEW KEY BOARD IT IS LOCKED IN CAPS LOCK---

ON THAT SAME SIDEWALK AND SAME LOCATION THE FOOD TRUCK WAS BACKING UP AND ANY OF YOU WHO HAVE BEEN AT BETHEL WHEN HE WAS OUT THERE KNOWS HE IS ALWAYS JUST MOVING ROUND AND THE DRIVER THE DRIVER DID NOT SEE HIM AND HIT HIM SO FOR THE NEXT FEW WEEKS HE HAD A SLING ON HIS ARM

AND YES FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND HE DID GET A CHECK- SMILE

3-------------- one morning i came out of the building and Cary Barber and his wife were in front of me and mr coffee commented on his tie- it was one of those RED DONALD TRUMP POWER TIES OF THE 80'S HE YELLED AT HIM AND TOLD HIM '

"Look at him walking around with his tongue hanging down on his chest"

this guy used to dog bethelites all the time

He would really dog interracial couples- i used to feel sorry for the young white boys who had ended up marrying older black sisters from thier halls he would comment about she looks almost old enough to be your Momma

I heard that his wife was still a jw at the time too and he was dfed for smoking,

i'm sure the rest of the bethelites online have plenty of stories to tell as well

james

• LDH
    LDH

Good old Mr. Coffee.

I was a regular visitor at Bethel. He loved ragging on not only the make-up that the sisters wore, but also the high heels we wore.

He was a bit on the assertive side,LOL, and would follow you down the street yelling and screaming at you.

This was one of my first exposures to an "Apostate"---therefore it was easy to dismiss them as NUTJOBS.

Lisa

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Randy,

Last time I heard is that Mr. Coffee wife is a JW. And he ran out of Caffeine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit