JW preaching work to end in the 20th Century

by Scorpion 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

Page 12 of the January 1, 1989 WT magazine Paragraph 8 ends with the statement that the apostle Paul's missionary activity laid a foundation for a work that would be completed in our 20th century."
    I take this as subtle prophecy that 'the end' will come by the year 2000 A.D., or should have come by now.

I find it interesting that the bound volume reprint has the wording changed to read, " a work that would be completed in our day."

Does anyone know why the change? Maybe Friend could help us with this.

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

ROFL!!! Isn't the reason obvious? But I'm sure Friend can enlighten us with a well convoluted story so as to completely cloud the issue.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

I re-read that article a few months ago. Fortunately I was able to get a copy of the magazine and scan that part. I showed it to a few people and they were shocked that it had been changed in the bound volume.

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

I well remember that article too. Many of the "predictions" of the past 30 years I have seen. And then the Society bends, twists, and turns their words to conform to their blinking light. Too bad for them that people like you kept the original mags, Frenchy, instead of just keeping the altered bound volumes!

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Well Frenchy, it's obvious that you need to get your eyes checked. You COULDN'T have seen that in the magazine. Obviously, someone sneaked that comment in before they could pull it off the presses. Aren't you aware of the process of publishing?

Since Friend doesn't seem to be posting much lately, I thought I would try to fill in for him. Sorry, I can't do it....it's too ridiculous.

• katchoo
    katchoo

well, one could argue that by some numerical calculations, the new Melinnium does not start until 2001, so they've still got a few months... *snort*

This is just ANOTHER prophecy that will not be fulfilled.

--B.

• Dubby
    Dubby

Hi SC,

Sounds like more WT bait and switch. Is there a disco in Brooklyn Bethel? I've never seen so many blinking lights.

"Enjoy God's creation, ride a dirt bike!"

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

I'm smiling, katchoo, because one of the people I showed this to said the exact same thing! No kidding. They reminded me that the new millenium doesn't start until next year.
    Does the insanity never end?

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Well, at least we don't have to worry about the computers on January 1, 2001. This coming New Year's Day might be the end of the world, but at least I won't have to be at work in case the programs have bugs.

• SYN
    SYN

BTTT

Ancient, but damning!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit