Protest and Demonstrations

by Larry 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Larry
    Larry

Ever since leaving the Borg I've had the pleasure of behind involved in several protest marches and demonstrations. Being in NYC presents many causes to speak out against. Many folks outside of NYC may love/like Rudy G, the formal Mayor/Dictator of the city, but he was the subject of many protest rallies while he served for two terms. I've also participated in the rally against the our President Selected Bush (The Shadow Inauguration) in DC as well as The Redeem the Dream March in 2000. I eagerly look forward to the Silent Lambs March next month and the Reparations March in DC on the 17th.

My question: Did you get politically involved in affairs (voting, marching, petitions, etc) once you left the Borg?

Peace - LL

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

The September March will be my first - look forward to seeing you there.

• Granny Linda
    Granny Linda

Hi, Larry.

Not to the extent that many others may have. What I did do was begin listening and researching. I'm also one of those many deem nutty for my lack of trust in any wordly govenment... or heavenly, for that matter.

My political interest was greatly enhanced immediately following the Ruby Ridge incident. I was fortunate to hear Jack McLamb share his personal experience of having been in on the negotations with Bo Gritz. Just a few months after that of course came Waco.

My husband and I did attend the Bridge Crossing in Selma during our two year stay there. It was quite interesting. Our one friend was a deacon in one of the older churches that MLK had spoken from, and had been as a young lad, eye witness to Bloody Sunday.

Generally politics is one of my favorite subjects. My husband is retired after 22 years in the military and things are certainly not what the powers that be would have us believe. It's not about loving this country or else type mentality...I believe it's about an evil that pits us against one another and silences those who would speak out against the abuses suffered at the hands of such evilness.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that I choose my battles carefully. What is one persons cup of tea might not be another's. Seen and heard to many hyprocrites that when the shit hits the fan, they turn on each other in order to spare their own arse. I'd best sign off here.

Granny

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

Rudy G was a genius of a mayor. We are already seeng the results of an average mayor.

I pray that Jehovah makes rudy mayor again

thats all

• Francois
    Francois

Right on Mr. Musto. Rudy was and is a genius.

I personally feel Mr. Larry needs to read Hoffer's "The True Believer." In fact, all exDubs should read it. Larry seems to have done what so many do when coming out of a cult: join anohter. In Larry's case political cultism. Note how his post is full of rant and cant. Telltale signs of continuing cultic attraction.

-francois

• Carmel
    Carmel

Politically active, well I got a minor in Poly Sci and in Sociology thinking I was going to become a talking head, but alas, it was too "political"! Go figure!

carm

• Larry
    Larry

Rudy would have been the GREATEST Mayor in history if he was more sensitive to the needs African Americans. He Boldly said he wouldn't speak to any Black representative or leader in the city. It seems that since the democrats helped Major Dinkins win the election against him, back in the days, he had an vendetter against African Americans when he finally won. That's just the tip of the iceberg, not to mention the ways he handled the police killing of Amadou and Dorismond. For an more on Generalissimo Giuliani see : Rudy!: An Investigative Biography of Rudolph Guiliani by Wayne Barrett & Rudy Giuliani: Emperor of the City by Andrew Kirtman. Actually Rudy reminds me of the Borg - Maybe that's why you like him :)

Speaking of Hoffer's "The True Believer." I just received the book via Amazon today. But itll have to wait until I finish reading my other books (2 many books 2 little time :) Im sure itll be similar to the other books I read on the subject, but Im always open to learning some thing new.

Francois - What can I say. Thats the first time, I can remember, someone making a judgmental comment to me since I left the Borg over five years ago. Join another cult? LOL. Just for the record, the only cult Im joining is ME :) Ive seen enough to know the futility of joining a religion/cult, political organization, etc. and expect any real change in my lifetime. No one can speak for me or represent my needs but me. The political activities have nothing to do with me wanting to belonging, I do it out of respect for those who marched before me - " Power concedes nothing without a demand. " Beside, I do it because I can!

Peace - LL

• knighthawk1981
    knighthawk1981

im protesting in the town of gainesville, fl in september. im planning on getting most of the student church group at the demonstration!

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Larry

Dinkins was a real prize. The streets of NYC were not safe during his tenure. What city leaders Al Sharpton?

• Larry
    Larry

I'm not an advocate of Dinkins - But at least he was a decent man. Crime went down across the USA, should Rudy get credit for that as well? Racial profiling when up during Rudy terms, I think he should get credit for that. Sharpton, Jesse or any one else doesn't speak for me - They are not my leaders. But I respect the causes they fight for. There were/are many other 'so call' leaders in the city. However the REAL heros/leaders are the ones you don't hear or see.

Peace - LL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit