Religion Explained

by JanH 21 Replies latest jw friends

• patio34
    patio34

Thanks a million JanH. I'm going in halfs halves (I'm SO embarrassed to have misspelled that!) with my boss, who also has an avid interest in this sort of subject.

Pat

Edited by - Patio34 on 6 August 2002 23:16:39

• Imbue
    Imbue

mmm..mm..mm...I like the shirtless look that's going on here! Pom: Maybe you should take it off and chill out a bit! Come on, show us what you have under your buttoned up collar. Take it off!

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

Jan,

One night last week, I had a great discussion with my S.O. about religion. The book you have referenced here looks fascinating, and I'm gonna get it asap.

We were - uh, under the influence (not alcohol, but at least it was organic) - and we had also just watched "A Beautiful Mind" for the first time.

We were talking about polarities that exist in human culture; when one perceives one is on an EXTREME end of a curve, how much of a struggle it can be to accommodate or reconcile differences with others who exist on the OTHER end, type of thing. 'If those butt-heads were more aware of blah blah, there wouldn't be so much crap' for example. We are both freak libertarians, and I frequently get myself all twisted into a state over how much power is abused, misused, over used, etc. at the expense of the "individual." He listens to me calmly, and frequently helps me get back to a balanced state by just letting me rant on.

Anyway. We decided that we were just TOO evolved for our own good, and were going to have to learn to wait patiently and not get so frustrated with "how things are." We talked about what types of social constraints exist which keep people from thinking, and when are people gonna get with it and start accessing the whatever percentage of their brains that lie dormant; what would help (rationally) narrow the current chasm that exists between physics and "metaphysics" (I hate that word) so that dialogues could actually take place and the human animal could make some very much needed leaps, here, etc. (No, I'm not currently under any influences right now, but it sure sounds like it huh? LOL)

I went on another "religion sux" spiel, lamenting over the fact that while it does sometimes argue successfully that it provides some "moral" compass for humankind, it actually serves as a "brake" on thought development because, obviously, each religious belief system imposes its OWN peculiar constraints on thought... insisting that its adherents stay within its own "belief box"...

Then I had an epiphany (!!!LMAO!!!): Perhaps if humans evolved (intellectually) too quickly, they would eradicate themselves (or significant portions of the human race; of course dependent upon which curve-extreme representatives had the biggest 'toys') in order to maintain status quo.

Therefore, religion DOES have SOME redeemable qualities: it may keep the pace of evolution at a "safe" level.

If you have any feedback - I'd like to hear from you (or anyone else)

lauralisa

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

Come on, show us what you have under your buttoned up collar. Take it off!

Ummm....Errrr... OK...you first.

Gimme a break...it's a JOKE dammit.

• Imbue
    Imbue

Pom: My point is the men are finally taking it off and I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts. It's your turn Pommie. I don't believe Simon allows women to post topless here since it maybe considered inappropriate.

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

OK, you asked for it.

Me in the fore...

pomegranate and big brutha getting ready for the sauna...

• Imbue
    Imbue

Pommie is big brutha your lover? Well, your an adorable couple.

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

No silly, we have the same mother...doh!

We were on vacation in Vermont...in a lovely mountain home...My sister-in-law barged the door open and clicked away.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Thank you JanH for the interesting article. I will also put it on my list for reading along with Joseph Campbells, Power of Myth.

Will

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

well one time my toe-nail polish didn't match my panties. It was more than I could take. I went back to that damn salon, and made them get it right. It took like four hours!!! But, it was worth it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit