Religion Explained

by JanH 21 Replies latest jw friends

• JanH
    JanH

This is about the most ambitious book title I can remember. Religious studies have been able to collect and present millions of facts about the world's religions, and made a lot of fascinating general theories about belief, myth and rituals, but it would be stretching the truth a lot to say that any general theory of religions stand out as totally convincing.

So far, nobody has even been able to produce a totally convincing defintion of the word "religion".

But if anyone can produce a book actually explaining religion in a credible way, it must be Pascal Boyer. I read his book The Naturalness of Religious Ideas: A Cognitive Theory of Religion for my Master's exam, and it was really an eye opener in many ways. Perhaps it raised more questions than it answered, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Obviously, religious ideas are based on cognitive processes in our brains, so it follows that the constraints and properties of the human mind guides their development. Boyer explains how.

It can be ordered at Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0520075595/qid=1028662163/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/103-1336388-4773466 if anyone's interested. Boyer is a very knowledgable person, a clear thinker and an excellent writer. That is what good text books are made of.

I have still not obtained this new book, but after I read the presentation I have pasted in below, it made it to the top of my books-to-read list right now.

Book of the Month

Religion Explained (Paperback)
    by Pascal Robert Boyer

Synopsis:

What's it all about? Though we might never answer the really big questions--with good reason--maybe we can understand why we ask them. Cognitive anthropologist Pascal Boyer tackles this topic in the unapologetically titled Religion Explained, and it is sure to polarize his readers. Some will think it's an impermissible invasion of mental territory beyond the reach of reason; others will see it as the first step toward a more complete understanding of human nature--and Boyer is acutely aware of the emotionally charged nature of his work. This knowledge informs his decision to proceed without caution, as he warns readers early on that most will risk being offended by some of his considerations. Readers who can lay aside their biases will find great rewards here; Boyer's wide scholarship and knack for elegant writing are reasons enough for reading his book.

That gods and spirits are construed very much like persons is probably one of the best-known traits of religion. Indeed, the Greeks had already noticed that people create gods in their own image.... All this is familiar, indeed so familiar that for a long time anthropologists forgot that this propensity requires an explanation. Why then are gods and spirits so much like humans?

Peppering his study with examples from all over the world, particularly the Fang people of Africa, Boyer offers plenty of evidence for his theory that religious institutions exist to maintain particular threads of social integrity. Though he uses the tools of evolutionary psychology, he is more careful than most EP proponents to avoid ad hoc and circular arguments. Best of all, at least to those unmortified at the idea of examining religion critically, his theories are potentially testable. Even if he turns out to be dead wrong, at least Religion Explained offers a new and powerful framework for thinking about our spiritual lives. --Rob Lightner

Click here to order: [ US | UK ]

From http://www.secweb.org/bookstore/books.asp

- Jan

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Gee Jan, I always heard that religon was just "Mankinds Search for God".

• waiting
    waiting

Or,,,,,,,,"Mankinds Making of God."

Thanks, Jan, for the introduction. I'm sure this'll interest Pattio. Well, it'll interest me too, I guess, just not as much. Well, maybe not, as I read the religious view more & she devours evolution stuff.

Lol, is it noticeable that I'm bored at work?

waiting

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

JanH,

There is no doubt in my mind, whatsoever, that man himself divised "religion" as a tool for trying to "understand the unexplainable" and out of fear and obesiance to "something". Perhaps only a handful of human beings through time have ever truly experienced a one on one connection with a spiritual entity--something that came down from the sky in some unexplainable way, performed unexplanable feats, spoke in glorious terms. Man had to "make" those connections into something he could understand and work with, so he made his "gods", he named them, he worshiped them, and even today, the masses of populations are spoon fed tid bits of total nonsense in order for them to "feel connected" to their creator. They perform their rituals, their masses, their sacrifices. The leaders get their money, their power, their followers.

Yet, no one seems to know the answers to anything...

We know very little about who made us. We have sketchy, inacurrate pieces of information from all over the world. Yet, we still don't know why we exist, why we are here on this planet, and what our purpose is. And the inegma of all of this, is that within man, there is an inate force compelling us to seek out these answers. It seems that if someone can in some way figure that out for us, we are more than willing to follow them, even if they are wrong.

Even now, as advanced as our culture is, if something unexplainable were to come down from the skies and introduce an entirely new and correct adaptation of our species, our origin, our purpose, our future, we would probably still try to kill them.

How sad.....

I am an avid reader and this book you mention sounds interesting. I will put it on my list and perhaps purchase it used sometime in the future.

Thanks!

Sentinel

• Carmel
    Carmel

"clear thinker" . . . . translation,,,"he says what I believe".

da cynic

• Xander
    Xander
    "clear thinker" . . . . translation,,,"he says what I believe

If you honestly believe that's what someone means by saying another is a 'clear thinker'....

That's sad. That's just sad.

Why does the idea of reading questions about faith and religion frighten you so much?

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

What frightens me is two guys on the same thread with their shirts off.

• Xander
    Xander

Oh, so you missed the thread with my butt, then, eh?

LOL! And what a fascinating contribution to the discussion, too. I can't even think how to turn it back on topic, so, uhhhh....

• SYN
    SYN
    This is about the most ambitious book title I can remember.

You're cracking me up! Oh, the dry sarcasm is too funny...

• pomegranate

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit