Summer Convention at Twickenham now gone, UK

by jookbeard 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    I believe this is the first year that the UK wont have a summer DC at this historical old rugby stadium (which is now one of the finest arenas in the UK) the costs to rent it must be astronomical these days, and it appears they are having multiple dates at The Excel Arena in London plus Milton Keynes is being used , many memories for me from a baby onwards making the yearly trip there, the dusty old stadium, the long walks to the car parks, working on the field security, getting burnt to a crisp or being poured on, binoculars ! food tickets, meeting at The Lion Gates checking the talent, and on the final day drinking the local pub dry The Barny Arms, end of an era!
  • cofty
    cofty

End of an era.

I made the pilgrimage once all the way from Scotland when I was about 19.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

WTS is all about getting the cheapest view at the cheapest price ever.

Think about it.............that's just good business policy. And it is a business.

Doc

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I went there quite a few times. First times were early sixties, got lost once when I was a small child on the way to the coach. Last time I went in the mid eighties I only stayed for one talk was bored and we left.

As a child I remember it as always being cold.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Oh, I remember Twickers. Excruciating sessions. Until I was old enough to skip the sessions and tour London instead.
  • Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom
    I remember Twickers very well too. But there was one year, back in the 70s, when there was no DC at Twickenham (can't remember the reason, but probably money). I had to make the pilgrimage from North London over to Chrystal Palace, which was a right pain.
  • jookbeard
    jookbeard
    UA, you are right, I think it was only for a year or 2 or maybe it was when the International Convention was held at Wembley Stadium, I think it was the late 60's as my mum was baptised at Selhurst Park, Crystal Palace
  • Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom
    JB - The Wembley assembly was an international, so no Twickers DC anyway. And that was in 69, the year before I swallowed it all and got baptized. I only remember one DC being at Chrystal Palace, several years later. I left in 80, so there may have been others since then.
  • jookbeard
    jookbeard
    there were some held at the NSC in the 80's, I attended one there, but my mum definitely got baptised at SP!
  • Splash
    Splash

I remember watching Concord fly over.

The seat rows were so steep, it made you dizzy when you stood up at the back!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit