Trashing The USA.

by Englishman 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Celtic
    Celtic

Never mind Animal, I won't make my answer any more obvious than your own above post. You answered the point yourself.

• outnfree
    outnfree

Mark,

I don't see the word "scumbag" anywhere in Animal's post.

E-man,

When I first went to Europe as a teen, everyone warned me that the French HATED Americans and that they would be absolutely miserable towards me. Pas du tout! I charmed them all!!! lol I merely tried to actually communicate with them in their own language and received nothing but smiles and warm assistance!

However, when I went to school in Switzerland for 6 months in the 70's, I had the opportunity to meet students (mostly Europeans and South Americans) from all over the world, all ages, and there were PLENTY of them that had nasty things to say about Americans and America.

Just recently, I was in Canada and was treated to a gentle grilling of WHY Americans are so overbearing and overly (overtly?)-patriotic.

In fact, when I read the title of your thread, I wearily thought to myself, "Oh, gee! Are the Europeans all over us again?!!!" (Although some Aussies here have certainly held their own in the not too distant past. "

Personally, I say it takes all kinds. Humans are basicially the same, and I love cultural diversity. Vive la difference!

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hi Englishman,

I know nothing about Europe, never been there so don't have an opinion that would be based on fact. I have a friend who lived there( somewhere in England) and he liked the place.

The US is becomming a Mexican state. Everytime you dial a business you have to press 1 to get an English reply. There are Mexican resturants everywhere. They are taking many of the jobs because they will work for less money. There are nine million here illegally. The place where my wife's nephew works laid him off with several others and hired Mexicans, but when it came time for them to give their social security numbers most didn't show up so they called the ones they had laid off back. Most of their children get free medical care from our welfare.

Persons from Pakistan, and India have taken over most of the motel and small marts, I think the Goverment will give them special loans to buy them. The government is trying to globalize the economy and will eventually bring it down to the level of many of the poorer countries for the common worker, there will be just rich or poor people left here.

That is what I am seeing happening here at least. I still love this country, it has been good to me and my generation.

Ken P.

• sleepy
    sleepy

I not sure that people trash the USA or its just that alot of whats comes out of it is trash.

• The_Bad_Seed
    The_Bad_Seed

I have no problems with the people of the United States, it would be unfair to generalize when it comes to a body of some 350 million people I have never met. I do agree with Sleepy, that a lot of what comes out of corporate America is trash, but who can't honestly say that ones own country isn't guilty of the same? I know I can't.

Whether I drive through the US or the UK - I'd hear and see the same people, with different accents and a slightly different mentality, coming from a different culture, or continent - the same people that get up in the morning, work hard for what they want, or for what they own, raise their families, and are generally good people. I think it'd be a shame to judge a countries population because of the actions of the corporate elite, be they syndicated televsion, coffee houses, governmnet, or otherwise.

Oh, and Canada rocks.

• Celtic
    Celtic

I agree, Canada does rock. Points taken. Don't get me wrong, people are great wherever you go, it's some of the systems in place I despise, that's why I am staying here, to do something about it as best I can through teamwork with others, many hands making lighter work so to speak. Animal, you mentioned idle talk and doing something about it. I do this continually, everyday through my work in the field, directly, perhaps if you looked at the CAN site and http://www.selfdirection.org you might see that.

A scumbag - definition. Is a person who leaves for the other side where the pastures seem to be greener. A scumbag is a deserter of his/her responsibilities towards a wider community. I have never believed in this as a viable option, preferring to keep working at what I do. That's why I've lived here for as long as I have whilst still retaining enough belief and passion to effect some positive changes through pro-active leveraging of the points in contention.

New Zealand rocks too.

Celtic Mark - Cornwall UK

• TR
    TR

Hi Eman.

I appreciate your thoughts about us yanks. Likewise, my daughter just returned from a two week trip to the UK, and enjoyed her experience as well as the people.

Celtic,

Maybe in middle class England this is true but a hell of a lot of people that I know of absolutely cannot stand Americans for one reason or another.

What "class" are you from? What is the predominant reason for hating Americans in your opinion?

Ok, I'm confused. Is it idividual Americans that you hate, or corporations, or both? There are corporation here in America that I hate and many that I like. There isn't any one nationality that I hate, but I've seen a faction of each that I dislike, and wish would go away. You seem to generalize a lot in your comments.

TR

Edited by - TR on 6 August 2002 11:28:26

• Dizzy Cat
    Dizzy Cat

Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables / Dead Kennedys .....

Another great product that comes from the US - ahhhh .... sweet memories !

• LDH
    LDH
    The US is becomming a Mexican state

Hmmmm.....I wonder if that's because most of the Southwestern US was originally part of Mexico, touche, Ken....

I can't figure out folks who think "America" is synonymous with "Whites Only." America is all about INCLUSION of all folks....whether we like them or not.

There is no pleasing some folks. First they bitch about immigrants being on welfare, then they bitch about them "taking all the jobs." IMHO, the Mexicans AND the JWs can have all the goddamned janitorial work they want. I won't be competing with them.

As far as people ripping off welfare, *WTF* kind of example have WHITE corporate leaders set by STEALING MILLIONS OF DOLLARS OF PEOPLE'S MONEY????? Why not bitch about them?

I rarely see white AMERICANS bitching about immigrants from countries such as Croatia or Bosnia.....their anger seems to be focused on immigrants who don't look like their grandparents, who, I shall remind you, WERE ALSO IMMIGRANTS!!!!

As far as my feeling about Americans in general, I offer you these lyrics, by Charlie Daniels, one of my faves.

In America

Well the eagle's been flyin' slow
    And the flag's been flyin' low
    And a lot of people sayin' that America's fixin' to fall
    Well speakin' just for me
    And some people from Tennessee
    We've got a thing or two to tell you all
    This lady may have stumbled
    But she aint never fell
    And if the Russians don't believe that
    They can all go straight to hell
    We're gonna put her feet back
    On the path of righteousness and then
    God bless America again

CHORUS
    And you never did think
    That it ever would happen again
    You never did think
    That we'd ever get together again
    ( We DAMN sure fooled you )
    Yeah, we're walkng real proud
    And we're talkin' real loud again ( In America )
    You never did think
    That it ever would happen again

From The Sound up in Long Island
    Out to San Francisco Bay
    And everthing that's in between them is our own
    And we may have done a little bit
    Of fightin' amongst ourselves
    But you outside people best leave us alone
    'Cause we'll all stick together
    And you can take that to the bank
    That's the cowboys and the hippies
    And the rebels and the yanks
    You just go and lay your hand
    On a Pittsburgh Steelers' fan
    And I think you're gonna finally understand

Lisa

• larc
    larc

Yes Celtic and Bad Seed corporate America is just awful. During my life time, the have vastly improved the standard of living and the quality of life beyond what I ever thought was possible. What a terrible thing to do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit